An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocational Confusion?

the_rev

Have you ever been drawn to say priesthood but felt deep down inside that you were called to marriage? Vice Versa?

That's something that I'm going through....

I personally have a deep desire to become a priest, I think it'd be the best thing to do, celebrate the Mass, bring Jesus to the world, but as I continue to pray for my vocation God just keeps steering me int eh directorion of marriage.

:yes:

I'm [i]trying[/i] to discern a vocation to the religious life, but I am feeling less and less drawn to it. I don't know.

Dust's Sister

The problem I am having is this:

I just don't see myself Married, yet sometimes I do, but I personally don't think I would make a good wife or mother. I do not have the patients for a lot of things. About two weeks ago the priest for the Mass asked for anyone who feels just a glinch of being a sister or a priest, and I felt like he was talking to me, I just came back from World Youth Day at Six Flags, and that Mass was just so cool. I'm so proud to be Catholic, and I want to help the world. I've always wanted to travel and help Charities in Africa and stuff. I have an associates degree in digital graphic arts, but I don't even know if I want to do that anymore. I've wanted to be several different things, one time a DJ, one time a weather girl, another time a paleontologist, but now, I still don't know what I want to do, all I know is that I want to love and serve God the best I can. So anyway y'all please pray for me. :)

~Darvon

To each of you, SLOW DOWN!!. You are all very young, well at least to this antique. You each have time, finish school, become the best person that you can be, get your education. Explore all facets of life. Marriage is also a sacrament. And mostly, dont be so hard on yourselves. God is love...He loves you and will give you the grace to pursue your proper path in life. I am praying so hard for each of you.
alicemary

[quote name='alicemary' date='Nov 3 2005, 01:05 AM']To each of you, SLOW DOWN!!.  You are all very young, well at least to this antique. You each have time, finish school, become the best person that you can be, get your education. Explore all facets of life. Marriage is also a sacrament. And mostly, dont be so hard on yourselves. God is love...He loves you and will give you the grace to pursue your proper path in life.  I am praying so hard for each of you.
alicemary
[right][snapback]777566[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Nicely put!

The best thing I have found in my own discernment is to continue on and pray hard. Trust God and he will open the path for you.

[quote name='Dust's Sister' date='Nov 2 2005, 11:13 PM']The problem I am having is this:

I just don't see myself Married, yet sometimes I do, but I personally don't think I would make a good wife or mother. I do not have the patients for  a lot of things. About two weeks ago the priest for the Mass asked for anyone who feels just a glinch of being a sister or a priest, and I felt like he was talking to me, I just came back from World Youth Day at Six Flags, and that Mass was just so cool. I'm so proud to be Catholic, and I want to help the world. I've always wanted to travel and help Charities in Africa and stuff. I have an associates degree in digital graphic arts, but I don't even know if I want to do that anymore. I've wanted to be several different things, one time a DJ, one time a weather girl, another time a paleontologist, but now, I still don't know what I want to do, all I know is that I want to love and serve God the best I can. So anyway y'all please pray for me. :)

~Darvon
[right][snapback]777515[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey folks I just wanted to reply, I know lots of people would say slow down finish school etc. Iam just saying from the other side of things I wish I would have entered earlier. Because the older one gets the harder it is for you to enter, I mean there are more obstacles. I actually asked my Rev. Mother at the Carmelite monastery whether or not one should wait to finish school etc? She stated that it would be better for a young lady to come and see if religious life is for them. Rather than to be apart of the perpetual discerners club. Just my ten cents.

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and St. Teresa

All For Jesus

Yes, I agree with Marieteresa. I once heard someone describe the beauty of giving your youth to God. - (by entering while younger) And if a young woman knows that her vocation is to a certain place, why wait?

Dust's Sister

Well I'm new at this calling, this calling is fresh, but what I am gonna do, is go through these RCIA classes and see if I still feel the same, if I do, I'm going to look more into it, but in the meantime, I will see what kind of Sister, I would like to be. :)

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Nov 4 2005, 09:56 AM']Hey folks I just wanted to reply, I know lots of people would say slow down finish school etc.  Iam just saying from the other side of things I wish I would have entered earlier.  Because the older one gets the harder it is for you to enter, I mean there are more obstacles.  I actually asked my Rev. Mother at the Carmelite monastery whether or not one should wait to finish school etc?  She stated that it would be better for a young lady to come and see if  religious life is for them.  Rather than to be apart of the perpetual discerners club.  Just my ten cents.

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and St. Teresa
[right][snapback]778055[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, I fully agree with you. In some cases.

Mother Bernard Marie PCC told me that most people are ready to enter if they have this burning desire to utterly dedicate their lives to God. So much so, that it would almost hurt them not too. She says that health, right state of mind, high school education, healthy motives for entering relgious life and suitability, are also important. Also, maturity appropriate to their age - meaning, I guess, that more is expected of people in their 20's and 30's than of an 18 or 19 year old. (Although, one would have to look carefully at each individual.)

For some, that occurs when they are young, like in their teens, for others, no until they are much older.

[quote]Yes, I agree with Marieteresa. I once heard someone describe the beauty of giving your youth to God. - (by entering while younger) And if a young woman knows that her vocation is to a certain place, why wait?[/quote]

Yes, All for Jesus, (sorry, don't know your name) Exactly what I think. If its Gods time and Gods Will, and the person happens to young, well, who has any right to stop them?

I love the saying "I will scatter my youth like petals before His Face." Mother Assumpta of the SMME wrote in an article, about to some young people, God grants them the ability to give Him their youth, their innocence, and their ENTIRE life.

This all makes me feel so completely unworthy. Religious life (like any vocation) is so beautiful. What right do I have have the prospect of this happiness? When so many suffer?

OK, I'm in a real tangent now. Sorry! But, love and prayers all! Pray the Rosary! I'm off to Adore Jesus in the most Blessed Sacrament soon!!!

[quote name='memtherose' date='Nov 3 2005, 10:00 PM']
What right do I have have the prospect of this happiness? When so many suffer?
[right][snapback]778347[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:saint: I like your question, it shows me you are humble.

People will suffer whether or not you are happy. What matters is not your 'happiness" but how you share it.

People hurt, everyday and everywhere, this is a fact. What matters is how do we express a loving God to them. Please do not feel guilty for wanting your "own" God does not begrudge you that. What I think He would have a problem wih if you were not sensitive to people who did not have as much as you.

BE AT PEACE.