An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocational Confusion?

the_rev

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Nov 4 2005, 04:11 PM']:saint:  I like your question, it shows me you are humble.

People will suffer whether or not you are happy. What matters is not your 'happiness" but how you share it. 

People hurt, everyday and everywhere, this is a fact. What matters is how do  we express a loving God to  them. Please do not feel guilty for wanting your "own" God does not begrudge you that. What I think He would have a problem wih if you were not sensitive to people who did not have as much as you.

BE AT PEACE.
[right][snapback]778361[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:) Thats really beautiful, thank you. Could I post the gist of that on my blog? :love: I feel so selfish wanting this, when, I could be doing something like working in India in the slums....or even in the slums of my own country....

When I feel far more called to teaching, or even contemlative life, which would, in a sense, be helping the suffering....just not in a "hands-on" way.

[quote name='All For Jesus' date='Nov 3 2005, 04:45 PM']Yes, I agree with Marieteresa.  I once heard someone describe the beauty of giving your youth to God. - (by entering while younger)  And if a young woman knows that her vocation is to a certain place, why wait?
[right][snapback]778087[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Exactly!!!!

Dust's Sister

Can you just be "Tired of the way the world thinks?" type of mood by wanting to be a Sister?.. or a Priest? cuz that's how I feel, I feel I'm tired of the way society works, the way people think, and I just want to be somewhere, where it's more peaceful you know? I don't want to be surrounded by the way the world thinks, it's getting on my nerves, I would just like to be in a place where I could pray for them, especially the teenage youth.

Edited by Dust's Sister

After going to visit a convent, I realized I had to reevaluate why I was discerning, and whether it was a calling to religious life or simply an attraction to it. I'm taking my discernment slowly just because I think I might make some rash decisions, plus there are some adjustments that need to be made to my person...I can be critical and uncharitable because I don't think before I speak sometimes, among others, and that would not be a good trait for a person, not to mention a sister. So I'm developing my personality and deepening my relationship with God and if that's where it leads, then hooray! and if not, hooray too, because wherever God leads me is where I'll be happiest, right? :)

[quote name='the_rev' date='Nov 2 2005, 07:12 PM']Have you ever been drawn to say priesthood but felt deep down inside that you were called to marriage?  Vice Versa?

That's something that I'm going through....
[right][snapback]777349[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

dude, you are young... no need to worry or get frustrated -- you're not even 16 yet (i hope i'm right about that, if not.... I'm sorry, hahaha)

and if God is steering you to marriage, then u have to go... no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Yeah, I say take your time. There's no rush in anything, especially for a young teenager. Study hard in school, get into a good university, get your Bachelor's degree. [i]Then[/i] make your decision about what you want to do with your life.

[quote name='memtherose' date='Nov 3 2005, 10:19 PM']:) Thats really beautiful, thank you. Could I post the gist of that on my blog? :love: I feel so selfish wanting this, when, I could be doing something like working in India in the slums....or even in the slums of my own country....

When I feel far more called to teaching, or even contemlative life, which would, in a sense, be helping the suffering....just not in a "hands-on" way.
[right][snapback]778372[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

SURE POST AWAY. Post the WHOLE thing if you want to.
Let me see, how can I help you? I love St. Francis de Sales and St. Therese the Little Flower they believed that EVERYTHING MATTERS.

This means that EVERYTHING you do and I mean that literally MATTERS. It changes the world. The love that you put into whatever you do goes out into the world and finds pain and NEUTRALIZES it.

What we as a society have a problem understanding is THE LITTLE WAY. We think that we have to be BIG, BE NOTICED for our "stuff" to count.

This is an example of how not impressed I am with people who are "famous." I and a friend were featured about a month ago in our local newspaper for a small ministry I started. So anyway the story came out and people were saying "weren't you in the newspaper?" I have talked to so many that are "impressed", that I am FAMOUS well that makes one of us. I could care less. I think the whole thing was stupid and I am glad it's over. But FAMOUS. . nope. Being in the paper was one way that I serve if it had never happened I would have been just as happy.

In choosing to serve God I started this ministry. Not for the fame. Now when someone stops me to say something I have to stop and think OH YEAH, RIGHT, THE NEWSPAPER....big deal... :P:

The point I am trying to make (I promise there is one) is that being in the newspaper means almost nothing to me. it is nice that it happened.
But I am more convinced that I am helping to relieve the suffering in the world thru first of all PRAYER. I am praying the Christian Prayer, the rosary and other little prayers everyday. PRAYER CHANGES THINGS.

After that I fully believe that Dad (God) sends me and you and us the people He has for us to serve for that day. I AM FULLY CONVINCED OF THAT. MORE THAN I KNOW MY OWN NAME.

It is an admirable and beautiful thing that one of the things you would like to do is to go to India. I am proud of you for feeling like that.
HOWEVER.....thinking of how to say this. :(

We can bring the Light of Jesus to the world right where we are. Our value our offering of self is the same no matter where we are. Again, be at peace. Wherever Dad wants you He will get you there. So for now sit back and enjoy the ride. Y ou have nothing to feel guilty about. :saint:

Edited by ofpheritup

I feel like most of you who have posted, at this point, in that I'm a little confused at times. I really do have a strong burning desire to become a priest. I've talked to friends and even my good friend who is a priest. I've recently graduated university and am working on entering medical school in the next couple of years but I am still not sure I should be headed in that direction. I don't know how to explain it but I feel so empty at times. When I'm in mass or class I feel so fulfilled and just the thought of being a priest makes me happier. I've got a lot to deal with before I make the final decision though including family and other friends I may have to end relationships with if I decide to go that route. Anyway, i hope you all pray for me.

Thanks and a special thanks to alicemary for her insightful post.

Corey.

srmarymichael

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Nov 2 2005, 11:27 PM']:yes:

I'm [i]trying[/i] to discern a vocation to the religious life, but I am feeling less and less drawn to it. I don't know.
[right][snapback]777480[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Zabbazooey, I think you need to sit back and relax. You don't have to decide today. Sometimes we think about things so much that we can't really hear God. I meet so many people that are so worried about their futures. They miss the great things that God is doing in their lives now!

God be with you! He will lead you one step at a time...... :saint:

srmarymichael

[quote name='the_rev' date='Nov 2 2005, 07:12 PM']Have you ever been drawn to say priesthood but felt deep down inside that you were called to marriage?  Vice Versa?

That's something that I'm going through....
[right][snapback]777349[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Rev, I feel for you!

I was on a retreat recently where they took us on a "faith walk". As we were being led (with our eyes closed!), we had to trust in the leader that he/she would take care of us and take us to the right place.

This is an awesome realization of God! He sometimes leads us in the dark and asks us to Trust Him at every step. We must be at peace knowing that it is God Who is leading us!!! :topsy:

Dust's Sister

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Nov 7 2005, 12:36 PM']Rev, I feel for you! 

I was on a retreat recently where they took us on a "faith walk".  As we were being led (with our eyes closed!), we had to trust in the leader that he/she would take care of us and take us to the right place.

This is an awesome realization of God!  He sometimes leads us in the dark and asks us to Trust Him at every step.  We must be at peace knowing that it is God Who is leading us!!!  :topsy:
[right][snapback]781400[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I like that.

All For Jesus

[quote name='coreyg' date='Nov 6 2005, 01:51 AM']I feel like most of you who have posted, at this point, in that I'm a little confused at times.  I really do have a strong burning desire to become a priest.  I've talked to friends and even my good friend who is a priest.  I've recently graduated university and am working on entering medical school in the next couple of years but I am still not sure I should be headed in that direction.  I don't know how to explain it but I feel so empty at times.  When I'm in mass or class I feel so fulfilled and just the thought of being a priest makes me happier.  I've got a lot to deal with before I make the final decision though including family and other friends I may have to end relationships with if I decide to go that route.  Anyway, i hope you all pray for me. 

Thanks and a special thanks to alicemary for her insightful post.

Corey.
[right][snapback]780032[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Welcome to Phatmass Corey!!! Yeah, discerning a vocation can be confusing at times. We (myself included) just need to remember to have trust in God, that He will bring us to wherever we need to be. And also, praying that we have the strength to do what He is asking of us...no matter what it is. On a side note, I've seen people describe what you wrote (feeling empty...) as signs of a vocation to the priesthood/religious life. Keep praying!