Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

I found out on this site a while back that people are using eBay to sell saint relics. This highly pissed me off, and I finally decided to do something about it, so I'm sending them this letter. Feel free to do the same, the eBay HQ address is at the top of the letter.

eBay Inc.

2145 Hamilton Avenue

San Jose, California 95125

<my name and address withheld>

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to report a serious concern that I have with some of the items sold on eBay. A simple search has revealed that some people are using eBay to sell saint relics. As a devout Catholic, this shocks and offends me deeply.

Relics, a practice in the Catholic Church from the beginning, are called first-, second- or third-class relics. Relics from all three classes can be found for sale on eBay. First-class relics are pieces of bone from saints, a direct violation of eBay’s ban on selling human parts and remains. Second-class relics are items or pieces of items that the saint wore and, in cases of martyrs, the instruments of death. These items are artifacts, and though not directly listed as prohibited on eBay should be, in my opinion. Third-class relics are items, usually pieces of cloth or medals, touched to first-class relics or brought to a shrine or site of an apparition.

In addition to the legal restrictions that possibly exist against the selling of these relics, there is a religious concern. The Catholic Church forbids the selling of first- and second-class relics. The relics being sold on eBay often go for prices at which it is obvious that the seller is making a profit off of these items, a sin known as simony. In addition, it is highly questionable how the people selling these relics came into possession of them.

I understand that eBay is not required to monitor the morality of the items being sold, and in the end it is the seller and buyer who choose what items are sold and for what price. However, I would like to ask that eBay please at least consider policing this item. If nothing else, please look into the sale of first-class relics, which is expressly prohibited for sale on eBay.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

<name withheld>

Posted

I wonder how these people are getting their hands on these relics.

Posted

The fact that they're selling such holy objects might as well just desecrate them, right? <_<

Posted

Let's check out the prices... if we can't get Ebay to take them off then we can put our money together and buy the stuff and send it to some parish or the Vatican (maybe a lil 2 far)

Seatbelt Blue
Posted

Ebay can't touch the prices, unfortunately. But it would be a good charitable act to pool our resources and ransom, at least, one of the cheaper ones.

Seatbelt Blue
Posted

No, it's not cool.

Look at it as an oppurtunity to serve your Lord.

Posted

where would we send the stuff though? Rome? What if they aren't genuine?

Seatbelt Blue
Posted

give it to a local parish, i imagine. If it's not genuine, so be it.

Posted

Some of them look pretty official (not to say that they necesarily are, but I can't imagine someone going through that much trouble when there'd have to be easier ways to get $$$). My question is, if we buy them, we are participating in simony and breaking church law (it is illegal to buy/sell first- & second- class relics). Is that excusable given the motive? Where's Fr. Pontifex when you need 'im?

Posted

How do we even know these are real? For all we know, they can be fake.

Seatbelt Blue
Posted

Some of them look pretty official (not to say that they necesarily are, but I can't imagine someone going through that much trouble when there'd have to be easier ways to get $$$).  My question is, if we buy them, we are participating in simony and breaking church law (it is illegal to buy/sell first- & second- class relics).  Is that excusable given the motive?  Where's Fr. Pontifex when you need 'im?

Ive actually asked that question to a priest before on another message board; if we purchase them with the intention of giving them back to the Church we are RANSOMING them, rather than BUYING them.

Posted

Where's Fr. Pontifex when you need 'im?

I am sure this is a scam... so I say we bombard these hooks with many e-mails.

Filthy humans.

Fr. Pontifex, what is you opinion?

Posted

I agree...

"unfortunately it's history is not documented"

unfortunately you smell of elderberries, liar.

Seatbelt Blue
Posted

Do you accuse this person of oral sex, "sucking?" If not, then please reconsider your statement in light of demonstrating the love of Christ.

Posted

I accuse this person of being less than proper, in the commonly accepted manner of the word, which, although may have its roots in accusations of oral copulation, now finds its meaning in acting poorly.

Seatbelt Blue
Posted (edited)

Well, you do not *know* this person is lying, friend. Therefore, both of your accusations are baseless. Why accuse one of a sin you can't substantiate? Why raise your nose at his lying when you yourself have likely lied in the past?

This is something I find among Christians everywhere - an inability to live this basic Christian teaching in daily life. We assume the worst about people, and we criticize them for sins we ourselves have committed. This is especially heavy on my mind because I just came from Reconciliation.

Have you sinned? Why then should you feel superior to this one, why should you criticize him for the same sins we all must deal with? Does your "you smell of elderberries, liar" exemplify Christian love, or is it said with a degree of malice or anger? Will your accusation impress upon this man to change? Does your rebuke have any effect if it is not heard by the target?

I am challenging you to raise your standard, Brother Christian. I am challenging you to a higher degree of holiness.

Edited by Seatbelt Blue
Posted

So you're challenging me to not accuse others of sinning (which I didn't do) by telling me that I'm sinning. Way to go.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...