An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Letter I'm Sending Ebay

willguy

Seatbelt Blue

Do you accuse this person of oral sex, "sucking?" If not, then please reconsider your statement in light of demonstrating the love of Christ.

I accuse this person of being less than proper, in the commonly accepted manner of the word, which, although may have its roots in accusations of oral copulation, now finds its meaning in acting poorly.

Seatbelt Blue

Well, you do not *know* this person is lying, friend. Therefore, both of your accusations are baseless. Why accuse one of a sin you can't substantiate? Why raise your nose at his lying when you yourself have likely lied in the past?

This is something I find among Christians everywhere - an inability to live this basic Christian teaching in daily life. We assume the worst about people, and we criticize them for sins we ourselves have committed. This is especially heavy on my mind because I just came from Reconciliation.

Have you sinned? Why then should you feel superior to this one, why should you criticize him for the same sins we all must deal with? Does your "you smell of elderberries, liar" exemplify Christian love, or is it said with a degree of malice or anger? Will your accusation impress upon this man to change? Does your rebuke have any effect if it is not heard by the target?

I am challenging you to raise your standard, Brother Christian. I am challenging you to a higher degree of holiness.

Edited by Seatbelt Blue

So you're challenging me to not accuse others of sinning (which I didn't do) by telling me that I'm sinning. Way to go.

Seatbelt Blue

So you're challenging me to not accuse others of sinning (which I didn't do) by telling me that I'm sinning. Way to go.

I didn't tell you you were sinning.

forget it dude. Lighten up a bit here. I was trying to poke fun at the fact that there was somehow no "historical documentation" (coincidental). I wasn't trying to play God and judge his immortal soul. I appreciate the heads up about the word "smell of elderberries", but do not appreciate haughty diatribe on your part. Sorry if I offended you. End of debate, thanks.

Seatbelt Blue

I wasn't being argumentative. I wasn't trying to start a fight, and your sarcasm isn't appreciated. I'm trying to help; I'm trying to live a life of holiness and to help others do the same. Your post was most certainly not in that spirit; well intended in defense of the Church, but misguided in execution. I apologize if my post offended you, although I don't understand how it did such.

::sigh:: I'm starting to think I'm not welcome here. Every time I try to push, prod, or nudge someone past behaviors that will hold them back, I get mauled.

Seatbelt Blue

forget it dude. Lighten up a bit here. I was trying to poke fun at the fact that there was somehow no "historical documentation" (coincidental). I wasn't trying to play God and judge his immortal soul. I appreciate the heads up about the word "smell of elderberries", but do not appreciate haughty diatribe on your part. Sorry if I offended you. End of debate, thanks.

sigh. I wasn't trying to be haughty, friend. I was just trying to help.

And I will be the first to acknowledge my own hipocrisy; everything I said we shouldn't do, I do. I do them regularly. I lie, insult, accuse, and generally bumble and stumble my way along the Way of the Cross. I am a terrible Christian.

But that fact of failure is exactly why I posted what I posted. We need to be held accountable. People need to call our mistakes.

Edited by Seatbelt Blue

I agree, thank you for your concern.

I certainly wasn't trying to "maul" you. And I didn't mean sarcasm (except in my original post). I tend to go on the defensive when my actions are questioned, partly my sinfulness, but also because, since I'm on a board, you really don't know me. If I was talking face to face it would be a different story. I think tone, and exectutionof phrases is difficult to ascertain online and so when something is typed, it's hard to know sometimes the intention behind the words.

Anyways, no hard feelings, I accept that I'm a sinner.

PS Everyone is welcome on this board.