An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Latin Mass and Children

MC Just

[quote name='Carrie' date='Nov 11 2005, 10:42 AM']I've seen plenty of well behaved children at English mass. 

If a parent explains and teaches a child what is going on at mass, they are more likely to behave than if a parent just brings a child to mass, doesn't explain anything, and expects them to sit quietly. 

The more they understand, the more they participate, the better behaved they will be, regardless of whether it is a Latin or English mass.
[right][snapback]785668[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No one is implying that children cannot be taught to behave at an english Mass. Rather, there is something about the Latin Mass (with all its awe and spendor) that seems to inspire good behavior. It is the difference between the banal (or mundane) and the sacred. Kids pick up on this pretty quickly.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Nov 11 2005, 11:01 AM']my bad.  You caught me during my first cup of coffee.  You're right we're talking english v latin

My point about child rearing philosophies is that if parents are "traditional" enough to prefer attending a latin mass, they may also prefer older methods of child rearing.  Like "spare the rod spoil the child"

It wasn't meant to imply anything.
[right][snapback]785676[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Got it. I was just confused somewhat by the statemement. My apologies.

There may very well be something to what you are saying. There is no doubt that discipline plays a large part.

I've seen kids misbehave in Latin Mass on more than one occasion.

On the whole, though, I see fewer young children in Latin Mass as compared to English. Probably because there are fewer young couples that go to the services I've gone to.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 11 2005, 10:26 AM']chill out PP, I was quoting my daughter. My kids grew up singing in the church choir and knew all the correct responses and postures by heart. They  are used to participating in Mass. They felt they were at a performance, with no sense of involvement, just an audience.
[right][snapback]785656[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sorry. I did not mean for that to 'sound' as acerbic as it may have. Just a little harmless ironizing.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 11 2005, 11:04 AM']I've seen kids misbehave in Latin Mass on more than one occasion.

[right][snapback]785681[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So have I. My own, for example. I made this point earlier.

[quote]On the whole, though, I see fewer young children in Latin Mass as compared to English. Probably because there are fewer young couples that go to the services I've gone to.[/quote]

This is the complete opposite of my experience, and the common experience of everyone I know who goes to the Latin Mass. Almost every Latin Mass I have attended around the country, and I have been to many (including Indy), has been packed with young families with lots of kids. It is a glorious site to behold. The young couples certainly outnumber the elderly. This is most definately the case in DC where I attend MAss. It is standing room only nearly every Sunday. The only exception is the second Sunday of the month when they have two Masses (the 5:00 PM Solemn High Mass in addition to the regular 9:00 AM Mass).

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Nov 11 2005, 10:28 AM']This is the complete opposite of my experience, and the common experience of everyone I know who goes to the Latin Mass.  Almost every Latin Mass I have attended around the country, and I have been to many (including Indy), has been packed with young families with lots of kids.  It is a glorious site to behold.  The young couples certainly outnumber the elderly.  This is most definately the case in DC where I attend MAss.  It is standing room only nearly every Sunday.  The only exception is the second Sunday of the month when they have two Masses (the 5:00 PM Solemn High Mass in addition to the regular 9:00 AM Mass).
[right][snapback]785690[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Maybe I've just gone on the wrong Sunday?

I've seen kids, yes, but for the most part they're older children, not babies and toddlers.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='MC Just' date='Nov 10 2005, 10:52 PM']My Priest says, he has seen children who love the latin mass and who are very reverant like  it comes natural to them.

I have never seen children act this way in the english mass, ive seen them run around and slap people in the back and get all noisy though. (not saying all are like that).

my priest says the children he has seen at latin masses have mostly been obedient and followed the mass. 

He asked a few kids why they like the latin mass, and they said it looks, sounds and feels sacred., the english mass is too noisy.

Now personally I had a hardtime finding a parish like the one I go to now, most of the Priests I have met have been liberal/modernist or just let anything go on at mass.

I dont go to a schismatic parish either, the latin mass im talking about is not the tridentine, but the novus ordo in Latin.  My priest says the mass here is celebrated as Vatican II wanted it to be celebrated, and that many of the other parishes are protestantised with exxagerated interpretations of VII.
[right][snapback]785410[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think we're in the same Diocese. There are a lot of things I would like to see here, including Latin Mass, more religious orders, and more hardcore priests. I've been blessed with very good priests, one of whom is pretty hardcore, and at least tries to follow the rubrics of the Mass.

One good thing about it though, is that I've learned charity and obedience here. :)

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Nov 11 2005, 10:43 AM']Not sure.  I'm not questioning that what you said is true, just that it seems odd to me due to common experience.
[right][snapback]785700[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's hard for me to make a generalization about English parishes, because it's so different from parish to parish how many kids are there. In some of the larger suburban parishes I've gone to, there've been tons of small children, and even in a couple urban parishes I've seen the same thing. In other urban parishes, the general demographic is much older, so there aren't many children at all. The MOST children I've seen are at the Hispanic masses, and those kids run all over the place all through the Mass, with no interference from adults.

I've only gone to Latin services at Holy Rosary, and like I said just didn't see as many teeny kids as I've seen at other parishes. Maybe they [i]were[/i] quieter, so I didn't notice them, or, like I said, maybe it's just the Sundays I've been there :idontknow:

(p.s. did you know there's a new FSSP apostolate in Batesville?)

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 11 2005, 12:04 PM']
(p.s. did you know there's a new FSSP apostolate in Batesville?)
[right][snapback]785723[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No I didn't. Who is the priest?

Edited by popestpiusx

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Nov 11 2005, 11:27 AM']No I didn't.  Who is the priest?
[right][snapback]785755[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's at [url="http://www.stceciliaofrome.com/"]St. Cecilia[/url]; the priest is Fr. Gerard C. Saguto. Do you know him, by chance?

I'd hoped to be able to visit a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't.

In general I agree with this. I cannot frequent a Latin Mass too often (for various reasons sadly) but I do think this is a general rule.

Although, by far one of my favorite places for Mass is English with monks who are quite traditional leaning (at least one says the Tridentine Mass each day). Here I can't remember the last time I saw a kid acting up, and I wonder if that's due to the environment. I wish more people could visit it and see that English can be done well (and better when correctly translated...) and that there's some hope as long as Cistercians live. :D:

Anyways, as to most Masses back home, my sisters are for the most part well-behaved at Mass, and better because they know they will be punished...However, I remember many people getting mad at this parish when the Priest said that Cheerios would no longer be allowed for kids during Mass. I'm surprised how many people got mad!

[quote name='Carrie' date='Nov 11 2005, 09:42 AM']I've seen plenty of well behaved children at English mass. 

If a parent explains and teaches a child what is going on at mass, they are more likely to behave than if a parent just brings a child to mass, doesn't explain anything, and expects them to sit quietly. 

The more they understand, the more they participate, the better behaved they will be, regardless of whether it is a Latin or English mass.
[right][snapback]785668[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's true, though I believe that Latin actually does help, and the atmosphere at those Masses as well.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

where i go to latin mass their are a good amount of young famiies with a lot of yonug kids. they are not perfect but at least they are not nibbling on cheerios, playing with little trucks and cars on the pew. they sit still.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Nov 12 2005, 11:54 AM']where i go to latin mass their are a good amount of young famiies with a lot of yonug kids. they are not perfect but at least they are not nibbling on cheerios, playing with little trucks and cars on the pew. they sit still.
[right][snapback]786391[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

lol
my wife has been slapped in the back many times by some kids in the english mass, kids playing with trucks and nibbling on cheerios.rotfl