An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you have kids in CCD or Catholic Schools?

thessalonian

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Nov 20 2005, 03:23 PM']I teach CCD and grew up going to a Catholic shcool, i for one dont remember leanring about body parts and anything relating to that subject. i didnt have to teach the students in the touch class as we call it. I was told that last yr the teacher had to teach the kids body parts and she for one wasnt wanting a first grader to know the different body parts by name!!!!! But this yr, thank god she didnt have to do that. i saw the lesson plans for both last yr and this yr, and OH GOD ITWAS SO MUCH BETTER than last!!!! it didnt go into that much detail!!!
[right][snapback]795811[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

First graders only need to know head, shoulders, knees, and toes. No need to know anything else.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 20 2005, 03:39 PM']Well, at least they don't need their CCD teachers teaching them anything else....
[right][snapback]795821[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
*shudders*

If I'm given that kind of material to work with, I will refuse to do so. It's scandal and entirely inappropriate to their age and maturity (and some of the things are inappropriate for everyone).

[quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 20 2005, 02:36 PM']First graders only need to know head, shoulders, knees, and toes.  No need to know anything else.
[right][snapback]795820[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What about eyes and ears and mouth and nose?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='jiyoung' date='Nov 20 2005, 03:55 PM']What about eyes and ears and mouth and nose?
[right][snapback]795835[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's second grade curriculum. Don't get ahead of yourself. :mellow:

:P:

[quote name='Raphael' date='Nov 20 2005, 02:17 PM']What search for truth?  Why would they search for truth?  They have all the answers, remember?  They have the Teachers' Editions! :o  They're unstoppable!

:lol:
[right][snapback]795803[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What do we need the teacher's editions for? The answers are in the back of the book. Not to mention you could download essays on just about any topic.

sad to say, it could be in order to teach the children what is appropriate behavior from adults and how to recognize inappropriate behavior

our diocesan child abuse prevention (teaching the adults) website
[url="http://www.virtus.org/virtus/"]http://www.virtus.org/virtus/[/url]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Nov 20 2005, 06:41 PM']Whatever happened to just referring to them as "areas covered by a bathing suit"? :huh:
[right][snapback]796061[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:idontknow:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' date='Nov 20 2005, 07:41 PM']Whatever happened to just referring to them as "areas covered by a bathing suit"? :huh:
[right][snapback]796061[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What happened? I'll tell you what happened: bathing suits that don't cover anything. That's what happened.

Journeyman,

Your article says:
[quote]One large parish in our diocese hosts a community vacation bible school for children from all faiths and has done so over many summers.[/quote]

I will just cut to the chase. There should not be interfaith vacation bible schools. Our parish does them and they are as watered down as a tropical storm in Guatamala or something like that. They wouldn't even do the sign of the cross or say the Our Father for fear of offending some of the paraents so that they wouldn't bring their kids. The Catholic kids are the ones who suffer and don't learn to practice their faith. If you have these types of things going on in your diocese or parish raise a stink. They're bad news for the future of our kids and Catholicism. They turn out Catholics who become anti-catholic protestants.

As for education for adults, I think it is fine, though I doudt that it will keep anyone from committing sexual abuse. It may help others to recognize when it is going on or be more proactive in getting someone to check it out.

Blessings

The virtus.org/virtus sight that journeyman posted has a video online. it contains some of what fr. altier apparently heard concering the myths of sexaul abuse. As he said it is somewhat innocuous but it does downplay homosexuality as a part of this. That is wrong. It is a significant factor and should not be downplayed as the video does. Though it is perhaps right to raise the issue that others who are not neccessarily strictly homosexual can be offenders, though I would suspect that most of these are what would be called bi-sexual. It's as disordered as the first. The point is that these crimes are being committed by sexually disordered people. The video would tend to direct the focus away from one offending group and put it on another.

Blessings

[quote name='catholicflower' date='Nov 20 2005, 06:22 PM']You from Arlington Diocese? I had to do adult session last year. Those are 2 very sad videos they show during  it.
[right][snapback]796049[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Richmond Diocese . . . Everyone who has anything to do with the kids has to do it . . . and I think they're moving toward every volunteer . . . I went earlier this year. The videos are sad, but also scary . . . the predators look just like everybody else, and act better than most.