tojo Posted November 28, 2005 Posted November 28, 2005 [quote name='Sojourner' date='Nov 28 2005, 01:55 PM']Some stuff I wonder if I'll ever absorb. [right][snapback]802646[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I feel the same way..... [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 28 2005, 01:58 PM'] We've [i]always [/i]done it that way... Baby Jesus hides in the clock until Christmas morning and the Wise Men work their way across the window ledge atop the windows, but don't arrive until Jan. 6. We've always done it that way. [right][snapback]802651[/snapback][/right] [/quote] But weren't you Methodist or some other semi-liturgical sort of thing? I was raised non-religious and then became Pentecostal, then nondenominational...... When I was Pentecostal, devout families battled it out over whether it was okay to have a tree, actually, so did many in the nondenom church, there was never any question of allowing for Santa Claus.....
homeschoolmom Posted November 28, 2005 Posted November 28, 2005 Yes, but in a non-religious way (if that makes sense)... I was Baptist for the last 17 years before becoming Catholic, though... We even celebrated St. Nicholas Day one year as Baptists... don't ask...
tojo Posted November 28, 2005 Posted November 28, 2005 Yeah, Protestant personal histories can be confusing.
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted November 28, 2005 Posted November 28, 2005 my mother used to a prot. so jesus is always in the manger, so this year ill hide him.
Laudate_Dominum Posted November 28, 2005 Posted November 28, 2005 [img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/fangorn35/untitled.jpg[/img]
ninjakyle Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 our Protestant churches have their kings waiting around too What I find interesting is there is always three kings and everyone always assumes three kings but nowhere in the Bible does it say that there were three, only that they had three different gifts (one could have been extra generous and there was only two, or there could have been four and two brought the same thing)
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 why would a king come and not bring a gift?
Guest T-Bone Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 Catholic tradition teaches that there where three. Three kinds = trinity?
Sojourner Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 28 2005, 05:46 PM']Yes, but in a non-religious way (if that makes sense)... I was Baptist for the last 17 years before becoming Catholic, though... We even celebrated St. Nicholas Day one year as Baptists... don't ask... [right][snapback]802884[/snapback][/right] [/quote] I didn't celebrate St. Nicholas Day until four years ago with a Presbyterian family. It's very, very fun. We have a great breakfast, then write notes to be opened the following year. I always like reading what I wrote the year before.
djc08 Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 I read an article last Lent about a Methodist Minister who wanted to celebrate the Annunciation but didn't know what to do because the Annunciation and Ash Wendsday fell on the same day. So I thought why don't you just do what the Catholic Church does and move the Annunciation...then i thought "Why are you even celebrating the Annunciation and why is a statue of Mary in your church(there was a picture)...and then i started laughing
homeschoolmom Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 Why would Protestants object to the Annunciation? Even though they don't celebrate it, they don't have a theological problem with it...
missionseeker Posted November 29, 2005 Author Posted November 29, 2005 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Nov 28 2005, 02:58 PM'] We've [i]always [/i]done it that way... Baby Jesus hides in the clock until Christmas morning and the Wise Men work their way across the window ledge atop the windows, but don't arrive until Jan. 6. We've always done it that way. [right][snapback]802651[/snapback][/right] [/quote] We do it like too. Only, we also put up a little greenery the first Sunday of Advent and then a little more the seciond Sunday and on the third, we put up the inside lights and on the fourth, we put up the outside lights. On the 23 we go out into our backyard which is 35 acres of woods and look for a tree. Then, if we didn't find it, on the 24 we go to Lowes and get one of the poor $5 leftovers. And we put up the tree that night. And we leave it up untill Epiphany or maybe March, whenever we get to it. At least that is how we do it ideally.
homeschoolmom Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 The year I was pregnant with my first child, our Christmas tree was up until Feb. 19.
tojo Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 So, HSmom, what other things have you done to make your celebration Christmas (and surrounding seasons) more Catholic?
homeschoolmom Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 We have done advent for a few years now-- since our oldest child was old enough to get the drift...
Sojourner Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 So last night my housemate and I were watching the Colts kick the Steelers to the curb, and both of us realized at the same time that we still had a Halloween candle out. So we got out our Christmas stuff and started decorating. J has a Nativity, and when she set it out I said (because I know she has Southern roots), "Aren't you going to hide the Baby Jesus?" She looked at me like I was crazy. I then threatened to hide Baby Jesus myself, and she said if I do I'll be in trouble. So right now the whole thing is out, Baby Jesus, Wise Men, and all. I'm trying to think up good hiding places ...
Jaime Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 [quote name='T-Bone' date='Nov 28 2005, 07:14 PM']Catholic tradition teaches that there where three. Three kinds = trinity? [right][snapback]802967[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Really? I'm not sure that's true. I don't think the Church has ruled on the number of wisemen They have definitively ruled on the number of wise guys though [img]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~spl/Academic/Robots/Lenny/robot/three_stooges.jpg[/img] If I put up a nativity scene, I might have these guys visit and but depart on the 24th
Jaime Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 Incidentally (this may be an easy one for the converts and the cradles) What was the intended purpose of the gifts?
homeschoolmom Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 I've heard different things: Gold for royalty, Frankincense for priesthood and myrrh for sacrificail burial or something... I've also heard that they hocked them for thier trip to Egypt... If it'd been Wise Women, they'd have brought hotdish....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now