An Old School Catholic Message Board

Two Years Sober...

Nathan

You know, I haven't really even thought about it in months, but this New Years will mark my second full year of sobriety. Pretty amazing when I recall feeling that I couldn't survive without abusing alcohol. At my worst, which was a period of about two years, I was getting flat-on-my-face drunk at least three nights a week -- often four or five. I simply could not stop myself. Even when I didn't want to drink, I would find myself walking to the liquor store, practically against my own will, like I was possessed by some force inside of me that refused to take "no" for an answer. Those were dark days indeed. I was killing myself, physically and spiritually.

I still don't know exactly how I got the courage to stop for good (no AA, no counselling for it). I like to think it was the Holy Spirit. Not long afterward, I -- a lifelong agnostic -- mysteriously developed an interest in Scripture. And that lead me to where I am now, in RCIA and just a few months away from being confirmed a full-fledged Catholic. :)

Never give up hope.

Many congradulations, and believe me you're not alone.

I regret a lot of my past drinking, most of my regrets came when I would wake up with a hangover nad my 2 year old son would ask me to play with him but I was too sick to say 'yes'. That was a hard-core realization for me, that my drinking didn't just hurt me (that much at the time I didn't care about) but it was also hurting my son who depended on me. That was many years ago.

I still drink every now and again.. but I never go off the top like I used to (actually last year during the holidays it happened that I went a little overboard on this one occasion, guess I still have alittle grwoing up to do).

Dongradualtions, and all the best to you including God's blessing.

Didace

Thy Geekdom Come

Congratulations! :)

Both my grandfathers were alcoholics, sadly, so I've always been raised to be really careful with alcohol. Be glad and praise the Lord for releasing you from the grip of addiction.

God Bless you Nathan!!!

It's cool that New Year's marks a new beginning for you! Are you a student?

There's an incredible Catholic New Years Conference in Canada for University Aged people.

It's called Rise-Up and this year George Weigel is the Keynote speaker. It's in Vancouver this year but was in Tdot last year and will move east again next year!

[url="http://www.cco.ca/riseup"]Check it out![/url]

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate that.

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Dec 8 2005, 10:50 AM']God Bless you Nathan!!!

It's cool that New Year's marks a new beginning for you! Are you a student?

There's an incredible Catholic New Years Conference in Canada for University Aged people.

It's called Rise-Up and this year George Weigel is the Keynote speaker. It's in Vancouver this year but was in Tdot last year and will move east again next year!

[url="http://www.cco.ca/riseup"]Check it out![/url]
[right][snapback]816900[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes, I am a student. I'll be studying at the University of Toronto beginning in early January -- something I can say with full confidence I would not be doing had I not found the Church (I dropped out of college in the middle of my full-blown alcoholic period, and I had completely written off going back). My RCIA instructors, a beautiful and very intellectual older couple, encouraged and inspired me. That, and the realization that if I want to have a shot at becoming a priest before the age of 35 (I'm in discernment and under spiritual direction), I'd better get my butt into university and get my Bachelor's degree! I have three years to wait after becoming confirmed before I'm allowed to enter the seminary or a religious order, so I might as well spend that time in school getting the necessary requirements to enter.

This "Rise Up" event looks amazing! Too bad it's in Vancouver this year; I love George Weigel! I guess I'll have to wait 'till next year. :)

Occasionally; not often. Being around people when they are drinking is a big trigger, as it is for all recovering alcoholics I'm sure, so I try my best to stay away from such situations. I don't "party" anymore. If I have to attend a party where there the alcohol is flowing, I focus on the food and say my farewells early.

What has really helped me is reading a lot. I think it's extremely important for people who are recovering from an addiction to have something positive to replace it with. Some people choose building model airplanes or going to sporting events; I chose books. Instead of going to the liquor store and getting drunk, I now habitually browse the various great second-hand bookstores around the city and buy lots of books. It's my new addiction, my "fix." I've turned into a voracious reader, and I can't go more than a couple of weeks without toting home a new stack of reasonably-priced books. :)