An Old School Catholic Message Board

Santa too scary for children,:

cappie

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='djc08' post='823441' date='Dec 13 2005, 07:27 PM']:blink: What in the world :blink:

Well I guess I was afraid of Santa as a little kid but I think I was more shy then scared. Like I would cry when my mom wanted me to go sit on his lap in the Mall.[/quote]

I cried as well. When I was a little girl we spent two Christmasses in England, and my mum and grandma took me to see Father Christmas at the shopping centre as a 'treat' on both occasions. As we got closer to the little log cabin I started to feel nervous. When I got inside and saw this [i]thing[/i] in bright red with a huge foaming white beard I burst into tears. The beard was the scary part, I think.

I ran away from a girl who was dressed up as santa on hallowe'en when i was around 7. I knew who she was, but somehow it terrified me that she was giving out the treats as santa at her house... weird (she was older, btw)

[quote name='soccer girl =D' post='1439233' date='Dec 28 2007, 04:25 PM']my little brother had a bad dream about santa and he used to b scared of santa untill he bought him presents. lol[/quote]

Santa does not BUY presents! His elves make them. Silly girl.

soccer girl =D

[quote name='uppercut55' post='1440208' date='Dec 30 2007, 10:07 PM']Santa does not BUY presents! His elves make them. Silly girl.[/quote]
lol. yes they do. sorry!

Santa as he's portrayed now is just asking for trouble. You can't teach kids to trust a man (or woman) simply beucase they are wearing a costume.

I used to nanny and I'd tell kids under my care to go to a mommy with two other kids like them. I also made sure they knew the difference between security and a police officer. Security officers in many places don't know how to deal with children, while police do. Plus, security officers don't usually have background checks and unfortunately, are often police rejects for good reasons. I'm not saying that all or even a good portion are rejected police officers, but its simply too risky to teach a kid to go to that person.

When I have kids I will NOT teach them to go to santa, the easter bunny, Barney or the honky-tonk hen. I don't care if I'm spoiling magic, there are people in those suits. A child's idolization to something blinds them.