An Old School Catholic Message Board

Proto dont like the vicar talk

N/A Gone

[quote]See, my problem with Catholicism is that it takes the power and righteousness of God... and places it in men; which IMO directly contradicts the New Covenant. This is best exemplified by what the Pope states of himeself: Vicarious Filii Dei, which transalted quite simply means "Stand in for the Son of God.[/quote]

i have a coined way of answrin that, but im curious how you would

Guest JeffCR07

sure, he stands in for the Son of God, who is the true Head of the Church.

But it is important to note the foremost title of the Pope: Servant of the Servants of God.

His primacy is one of service, and this is the only truly christian view of authority. In the eyes of a true christian, when we look upon a person in authority, we also understand that we are looking upon someone who should be in service to us. In the person of Christ, who is the Word of God and the man that washed the disciples' feet, authority and service become one.

For this reason, I am critical of any christian who is utterly opposed to authority - do they not know that authority and service are one in Christ?

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

Well to hit on taking the power and righteousness of God and giving it to men...did God not in some way do something like that? The only reason that the Church would seem like it does this is because God Himself entrusted the sacraments to the Church. Now if that doesn't open up a can of worms I do not know what would.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i know this is a bit simplistic but,

And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 18 2005, 06:52 PM']most protos believe that Jesus means the confession that he is lord is the rock..not peter..;)
[right][snapback]830089[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This actually involves quite a twisting of the text.

[url="http://www.catholic.com/search.asp?searchType=file&target=Peter"]Here's a host of articles about St. Peter's primacy.[/url]

Don't Protestants look at their ministers and for some like their conferences and conventions (i.e. Southern Baptist Convention, the Missouri Synod of Lutherans) like we look at the Pope and the other church leaders?

[quote name='djc08' date='Dec 18 2005, 07:14 PM']Don't Protestants look at their ministers and for some like their conferences and conventions (i.e. Southern Baptist Convention, the Missouri Synod of Lutherans) like we look at the Pope and the other church leaders?
[right][snapback]830115[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Usually they don't regard those leaders or conventions as being infallible, or having binding power over everyone in the church.

protestant theologians will regard them as a possible source, never an unquestionable authority. They are morepersonal than that

most prots I deal with dont see a leader,but rather see a council

socartes..which one of the 780documents did u want me to read?

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 18 2005, 07:20 PM']protestant theologians will regard them as a possible source, never an unquestionable authority. They are morepersonal than that

most prots I deal with dont see a leader,but rather see a council

socartes..which one of the 780documents did u want me to read?
[right][snapback]830125[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oops - just saw the first ten.
You could start with [url="http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0307sbs.asp"]this one.[/url]

I just don't understand how you can say your part of a Protestant church but...uh i don't know how to put it. It's like in my hometown one of the youth ministers at a Protestant church is like teaching the youth about why Catholics are wrong and are not saved (he actaully said we were definently going to hell) and so they come to school and ask tell the Catholics what he said and we explain it to them and they understand. They don't believe him and they tell him this but why would you want to be part of a church that teaches things you don't believe?

Because they dont need to believe him...prots dont think of authority like we do. As a matter of fact "church drama" is very common and thats the laity thinking they knowmore than the pastor. Its really annoying and one of the main reasons I decided not to do pastoral leadership major.

btw, as JPII says, there is alot of hurt on both sides, it is common for a protestant christian to truly believe so many misconceptions about catholics. I see it all the time.