An Old School Catholic Message Board

A women's poll

Sojourner

Would you find it offensive to be called a "classy dame"?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, so Mickey, one of the owners of the business I work for, is also a bigwig in state government, focusing in the area of economic development. His boss, a woman, recently resigned as commerce secretary, and Mickey recently told an Indianapolis Star reporter that the departing secretary is a "classy dame."

She didn't take offense to it. "You have to consider the source," she said. "I knew what he meant."

But others did, saying they didn't like the characterization, and that it was out of touch, or unprofessional, or sexist.

A Star columnist said on the subject, "But what he says matters to women in business who shouldn't have to overcome negative stereotypes in the pursuit of success. It matters to the rest of us, too, since he is our proxy in government."

So I'm interested in hearing what all the women here think. I personally wouldn't be offended, but I can understand the rationale of those who would be.

[quote name='scardella' date='Dec 20 2005, 05:27 PM']Umm, who doesn't like being called classy?
[right][snapback]832037[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think the issue was more the word "dame" than "classy."

Apparently "Dame" isn't professional enough.

homeschoolmom

That's what I wondered... but then I typed it and though I knew it was spelled right, it looked weird... so I didn't post it...

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Dec 20 2005, 03:41 PM']I got tripped up on 'toast' the other day....
[right][snapback]832053[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I hate that... stupid spelling...

:annoyed:

[quote name='Cow of Shame' date='Dec 20 2005, 05:39 PM']Is 'broad' preferred?
[right][snapback]832047[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I personally prefer to be called "babe."

"Yeah, that Sojourner, she's a classy babe."

:whistle:

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Dec 20 2005, 03:36 PM']depends on the context.
[right][snapback]831966[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='Socrates' date='Dec 20 2005, 07:54 PM']Sojourner, I just wanted to say I think you're a classy babe!  :love:
[right][snapback]832171[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:blush: