An Old School Catholic Message Board

A women's poll

Sojourner

Would you find it offensive to be called a "classy dame"?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think if the phrase came from someone who commonly referred to women as 'dame' I would take it as a compliment. If some random guy came up and said, "hey, you're a classy dame." it would be strange, but probably not still offensive to me.

• 3 years later...
tinytherese

"Classy dame" sounds so 1920's, which I don't like. I wouldn't be offended (unless it was in a sexual harassment way) but I like dame better than babe.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Cow of Shame' post='832047' date='Dec 20 2005, 06:39 PM']Is 'broad' preferred?[/quote]

Actually no. The word "broad" was used by butchers to describe a piece of meat with a hole in it. Some people use "dame" and "broad" interchangeably.

dame |dām|
noun
1 ( Dame) (in the UK) the title given to a woman equivalent to the rank of knight.
• a woman holding this title.
2 informal a woman.
• archaic or humorous an elderly or mature woman.
ORIGIN Middle English (denoting a female ruler): via Old French from Latin domina ‘mistress.’

I guess to me it would be on the same par as "classy fellow"
I think it's kind of old fashioned, but I like that about it :). You never hear men referred to as dapper these days either, but whenever I am called dapper I always take it as a huge compliment just because of the rarity of it.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Slappo' post='1841085' date='Apr 20 2009, 12:06 AM']dame |dām|
noun
1 ( Dame) (in the UK) the title given to a woman equivalent to the rank of knight.
• a woman holding this title.
2 informal a woman.
• archaic or humorous an elderly or mature woman.
ORIGIN Middle English (denoting a female ruler): via Old French from Latin domina ‘mistress.’

I guess to me it would be on the same par as "classy fellow"
I think it's kind of old fashioned, but I like that about it :). You never hear men referred to as dapper these days either, but whenever I am called dapper I always take it as a huge compliment just because of the rarity of it.[/quote]

Dictionary.com includes "Slang. Sometimes Offensive."

Edited by HisChildForever

When I was four years old, my dad was in a musical ("South Pacific") in the chorus that sang "There is Nothing Like a Dame." I asked him what a dame was. He siad, "It's a woman" but then a second or two later he added, "But never call your mother a dame."

Same rule applies here. If you wouldn't call your mother an X, don't apply it to anyone else.

I can't understand how, in the example given, this could be offensive. Dame is actually a compliment. Ask Judy Dench ^_^

Depends on who it was. A creeper? Yes. A true gentleman? No. If it were Phil, I'd probably ask him what he wanted. :hehe: