An Old School Catholic Message Board

The whole enchilada

Sojourner

I was recently conversing with a friend about some distinctively Catholic practices and how those have been incorporated into my life since conversion. I'm wondering how many other converts have had or are having the same issues as I am.

I find that in general practices I didn't engage in as a Protestant are difficult to embrace as a Catholic. For example, I made it for 27 years without praying a rosary ... how much difference is it going to make for me to start doing that now? Or, I've been finding lost items my whole life without sending up prayers to St. Anthony. Why should I start doing that now? Also in this category: I've never gone to adoration. I own no scapulars or medals, and I've never gone on a pilgrimmage.

I suppose in thinking about this that there are a couple of reasons for my hesitation in these areas. First and foremost, my faith was strong and vibrant before I became Catholic, and it's strong and vibrant now. Although I know these things can be beneficial, they seem like "frills" that aren't central to my spiritual health and well-being.

Second, some of these things aren't even on my radar. When I lose things, I NEVER think of praying to St. Anthony. I barely think of praying period.

There was a third reason, but I can't remember it now.

Anyone else have this experience?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 20 2005, 03:18 PM']There was a third reason, but I can't remember it now.

Anyone else have this experience?
[right][snapback]832021[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Who's the patron saint of forgetfulness??

:idontknow:

Yep, I know what you mean....

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 20 2005, 05:24 PM']Who's the patron saint of forgetfulness??

:idontknow:

Yep, I know what you mean....
[right][snapback]832031[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:lol_roll:

If there is a patron saint of forgetfulness, I need to buddy up to him or her quick.

are these things absolutes for your faith? no. are they necessary? well, maybe. i would argue that the graces you receive from these things - just like the graces you receive in the Sacraments - are helpful and beneficial to your faith. like i know my adoration has greatly increased my prayer life and my sacramental life. praying the rosary more often leads me into contemplative prayer, and getting to know Jesus better.

:idontknow: i don't know if that's helpful.

Edited by Lil Red

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 20 2005, 03:26 PM']:lol_roll:

If there is a patron saint of forgetfulness, I need to buddy up to him or her quick.
[right][snapback]832036[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
patron saint of enlightenment is the Holy Spirit or Our Lady of Good Counsel ;)

photosynthesis

you've never been to Adoration!!! :scream:

go now! it's too awesome to not experience... it will change your life. Same thing with the Rosary. The Rosary can do wonders for your prayer life too.

Thanks for everyone's replies ... and thanks for the heads up on the patron saints of enlightenment, Lil Red. :D:

I'm still really thinking through this issue, and why I haven't embraced things like this. I think it's mainly because I already had a very active prayer life before ever becoming Catholic, and believe I receive graces from the practices that have long been part of my spiritual life. It's not that I don't think these things can be valuable, but I'm already used to communicating with God in certain ways and places, and he still hears me when I use those methods, so it's hard to be motivated to incorporate other new stuff.

There are a few Catholic things (even basic Christian habits) that I never managed to incorporate -- grace at meal times being the most notable. :idontknow:

I agree with Photosynthesis, though, you should give Adoration a try. A rosary might be worthwhile too. Obviously you don't require these things, and you needn't to continue them if you don't like them, but they're tremendous treasures of the Church. Maybe you should see if they offer you anything?

Some of the other things you mentioned are, perhaps, just frills. If someone did [i]everything[/i] the Church offered, that someone would be very busy, and look rather silly.

I'm a new Catholic too, and while I have some trouble, I mostly find the rosary and adoration to be wonderful additions to my faith life. I highly recommend praying the rosary at least once a week, and going to adoration at least once a month for at least half an hour....

[quote name='philothea' date='Dec 21 2005, 09:30 AM']  If someone did [i]everything[/i] the Church offered, that someone would be very busy, and look rather silly.[right][snapback]832727[/snapback][/right][/quote]
:P: very very very true!!

photosynthesis

[quote name='tomasio127' date='Dec 21 2005, 11:45 AM']I'm a new Catholic too, and while I have some trouble, I mostly find the rosary and adoration to be wonderful additions to my faith life. I highly recommend praying the rosary at least once a week, and going to adoration at least once a month for at least half an hour....
[right][snapback]832752[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
at the very least...

but once you start going to adoration you'll become addicted :)

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Dec 21 2005, 11:51 AM']but once you start going to adoration you'll become addicted :)
[right][snapback]832879[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Sooo true! I love it now. :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 21 2005, 09:49 AM']Thanks for everyone's replies ... and thanks for the heads up on the patron saints of enlightenment, Lil Red. :D:

I'm still really thinking through this issue, and why I haven't embraced things like this. I think it's mainly because I already had a very active prayer life before ever becoming Catholic, and believe I receive graces from the practices that have long been part of my spiritual life. It's not that I don't think these things can be valuable, but I'm already used to communicating with God in certain ways and places, and he still hears me when I use those methods, so it's hard to be motivated to incorporate other new stuff.
[right][snapback]832679[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
my mom was the same way. she had a very strong faith when she was baptist and after converting it was difficult for her to embrace everything Catholic and practice it like cradle Catholics did. 20 years later she is just now starting to realize the benefits of some of these excercises. you may just need time to embrace some things.

[quote name='philothea' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:30 AM']There are a few Catholic things (even basic Christian habits) that I never managed to incorporate -- grace at meal times being the most notable.  :idontknow:

I agree with Photosynthesis, though, you should give Adoration a try.  A rosary might be worthwhile too.  Obviously you don't require these things, and you needn't to continue them if you don't like them, but they're tremendous treasures of the Church. Maybe you should see if they offer you anything?

Some of the other things you mentioned are, perhaps, just frills.  [b]If someone did [i]everything[/i] the Church offered, that someone would be very busy, and look rather silly.[/b]
[right][snapback]832727[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
im sorry to hear you feel that way. that comment makes me sad. why does someone have to be silly looking because they are active in these things? i dont get it. :ohno:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 21 2005, 01:46 PM'][quote name='philothea' date='Dec 21 2005, 09:30 AM']
If someone did [i]everything[/i] the Church offered, that someone would be very busy, and look rather silly.
[right][snapback]832727[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
im sorry to hear you feel that way. that comment makes me sad. why does someone have to be silly looking because they are active in these things? i dont get it. :ohno:
[right][snapback]832968[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I only meant if someone actually did [i]everything[/i]! Wore all the medals, and all the scapulars, had all the statues and icons and novenas and prayers and devotions. If someone prayed [i]all[/i] the available Catholic prayers, they wouldn't ever finish, and they wouldn't get anything else done.

My point was that everyone has to pick and choose among the many wonderful devotions the Church offers. No need to feel gulity if one or another doesn't appeal.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found praying the rosary amazing......especially on those days when you feel far from God and are struggling with prayer.....or am I the only one who has those days? :unsure:

Adoration is incredible.....

I suspect St Anthony is a little tired with my constant requests and would prefer me to tidy up....though (thankfully!) he does seem very gracious! :love:

My biggest problem is confession....I am truely aware of my sins but was used to praying about them, asking for forgiveness etc and it is so embarressing to make confession in front of a priest...