An Old School Catholic Message Board

The whole enchilada

Sojourner

As a fellow convert, I think that not using the many wonderful resources of the Church is not wise.

It's like someone who was a runner for health. Then they discovered this awesome health club with a pool, machines, courts, etc. So they joined. But then all they did at the health club was run. They said "Well, I'm healthy from running, so I'll just keep running. I don't need to do any of that other stuff."

You mention you have an active prayer life. Does that prayer life include the saints? Don't cut yourself off from the communion! Even if you're not asking St. Anthony to pray that you'll find your keys, it's important to unite yourself with fellow believers, both on and off this mortal coil. Especially Our Lady!

Edited by dustthouart

So I just got back from 6 p.m. Mass at my parish. I was running early for a change, so I stopped in at the perpetual adoration chapel to check it out and pray the Rosary (even though I don't pray it regularly I have one I carry with me all the time). I spent probably about 40 minutes in prayer and meditation ... it was good. Very good. I'll probably do it again.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Jan 15 2006, 05:48 PM']So I just got back from 6 p.m. Mass at my parish. I was running early for a change, so I stopped in at the perpetual adoration chapel to check it out and pray the Rosary (even though I don't pray it regularly I have one I carry with me all the time). I spent probably about 40 minutes in prayer and meditation ... it was good. Very good. I'll probably do it again.
[right][snapback]857039[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:woot:

Knew you'd like it. :cool:

photosynthesis

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Jan 15 2006, 07:48 PM']So I just got back from 6 p.m. Mass at my parish. I was running early for a change, so I stopped in at the perpetual adoration chapel to check it out and pray the Rosary (even though I don't pray it regularly I have one I carry with me all the time). I spent probably about 40 minutes in prayer and meditation ... it was good. Very good. I'll probably do it again.
[right][snapback]857039[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
your parish has perpetual adoration and you hadn't been before? :shock: that's ca-razy.

I was raised nominally Catholic so I can relate to a lot of the concerns of converts, about having to include Catholic stuff in one's prayer life... I first came to develop a personal relationship with God in the Protestant Church, and then when I came back to the Catholic Church it was kind of a culture shock. I'd never been to adoration until my friend took me to a Father Stan Fortuna concert / where they had adoration. I was blown away... My family hadn't even heard of Eucharistic Adoration until quite recently, it's kinda sad. the Rosary I always knew, though. My grandma gave me one of those "how to pray the Rosary" books and told me to pray it if I had trouble sleeping. I never got the prayers right so eventually I gave up on it, but that was one of the things I remember aboug growing up in the Church...

The rosary and Adoration are huge. God gave us both of them, though in different ways.

I think they become more important as one deepens their understanding of the reality of the Eucharist and the life of Christ. When one understands those things, it is hard to think about not praying through the Gospel with the Rosary or adoring Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.

So I think I'm hooked. I'm sitting at work wanting to go to adoration.

Y'all told me so, and I doubted. Silly me!

ohh by the way, Adoration will become nearly like receiving the Eucharist. You will begin to physically long for it.

Isn't it wonderful? :D:

Take the time to rest in the heart of Jesus. He is there to hold you.

It really is a beautiful thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Sojourner,

I totally identify with what you are saying, and I am still working on some fo these things. I'm sorry to say, but the Rosary is nice, but not my favorite devotion... and thats OK.

I do love adoration, and I think you might enjoy your parish's 2x a month youth adoration. Fr. does a great job, its encouraging to see so many young people in love with Jesus, and it includes a procession! (you have picked a great parish!)

Anyway, don't get stressed out about it. Try new things every once in a while and go with what seems to move you closer to God. Everyone is different, that is why the Church allows so many different devotional aids.

p.s. Thanks for breakfast a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome to catch up.

peace...

theculturewarrior

Praying the rosary is a hard habit to get into, and one I haven't acquired. Nevertheless, it has to be the most powerful prayer I have ever prayed, excepting maybe the LOTH.

Think of something you want most, like a bad habit you want to break, or a friendship you want repaired. Then pray the rosary and see how long it takes. You know what? I think I am going to pray it tonight. :)

cmotherofpirl

The thing about conversing with St Anthony [ or if really in trouble St Jude ]is not that you will can find your keys, but that you are connected to the Church Triumphant: all those gone before us marked with the sign of faith. You are acknowledging your connection with 2000 years of Saints and Tradition and in a real sense your Catholic family in heaven.
Think of them as your cheering section. :)

the rosary is amazing as well. it is praying through the life of Christ. Look at the mysteries you pray. They are the true heart of it.

Mary only wants to carry you to Jesus.