An Old School Catholic Message Board

having an education:

photosynthesis

Well, I certainly hope degrees aren't essential! :ninja:

Some people require more advanced education in order to fulfull God's will for them.

In general, I think being highly educated is a little dangerous, and could lead to pride. :unsure: (Looking around to make sure we're in the Debate Table.)

Obviously it depends on the individual.

photosynthesis

I agree that while it is necessary (I certainly wouldn't want a guy who didn't finish med school as my doctor) it doesn't mean that that person would be inherently better than anyone else.

I don't think it makes you a better person, necessarily. I guess I wonder what you mean by the word "better." It certainly wouldn't make you a holier person, necessarily, and for that I'll post a quote by Frank Sheed I found on here a while back:

[quote]I cannot say how often I have been told that some old Irishman saying his rosary is holier than I am, with all my study. I daresay he is. For his own sake, I hope he is. But if the only evidence is that he knows less theology than I, then it is evidence that would convince neither him nor me. It would not convince him, because all those rosary-loving, tabernacle loving Irishmen I have ever known were avid for more knowledge of the faith. It does not convince me, because while it is obvious that an ignorant man can be virtuous, it is equally obvious that ignorance is not a virtue; men have been martyred who could not have stated a doctrine of the Church correctly, and martyrdom is the supreme proof of love. Yet with more knowledge of God they would have loved him more still.

--Frank Sheed, "Theology for Beginners"[/quote]

I agree that there does seem to be a trend among some in academia that arrogance and pride can come with higher learning. But I think that is a trend for any position; oftentimes the higher up you are in a position -- whether it be in a business or social setting or whatever -- there is the danger of becoming prideful/arrogant/snobbish, etc.

However, a good education can be greatly beneficial to a person. It can enrich a person's life and his understanding of the world and the people around him. It can also lead him to know more about God and Truth (that of course depends on the type and quality of the education). I personally think that people should try to educate themselves as much as possible throughout their lives (and I don't mean formal education exclusively). I think that learning is a wonderful thing, and people shouldn't ever neglect the opportunity to enrich their minds.

Just my two cents.

You guys should read Cardinal Newman on the Idea of a University. He talks about the good found in a liberal arts education.

Recently Archbishop Levada said that though spirituality may be a big thing today, we really need to know what we're doing or we may end up worshiping demons.

Now while I don't think degrees are really necessary, I say an education almost certainly is.

Plus, contrary to what modern society makes it, an hour of good study is an hour of prayer. :)

In response to this thread, I think you say two different things.

[quote]having an education:, does it make you a better person?[/quote]

The goal of a good education is to make you a better person.

[quote]I argue that it doesn't. God loves everyone regardless of what type of degree they have. [/quote]

Is the goal for God to love us or for us to love God? Well, God loving us is not something we can really affect, and it's not really important, it's there. :)

We're supposed to love God, and that's what an education does. It draws us towards love of our Creator. (This is an education, not just a learning experience, which I say are completely different). :)

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 25 2005, 05:53 PM']We're supposed to love God, and that's what an education does.  It draws us towards love of our Creator.  (This is an education, not just a learning experience, which I say are completely different).  :)
[right][snapback]835979[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:(

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 25 2005, 06:50 PM']Plus, contrary to what modern society makes it, an hour of good study is an hour of prayer.  :)
[right][snapback]835978[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This is true. :)

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 25 2005, 05:56 PM']Hmm?
[right][snapback]835982[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I hope it's not what you intended, but your statement strongly implies that educated people are more capable of loving God than uneducated people.

So... :(

Oh no! It is the purpose of an education, but recently it is not cared about or used, so I don't think that education fulfills its purpose very much.

Plus, people have to be open to that, and...well, most people aren't.

Education's goal is to lead people closer to God, but most people ignore that anyways.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Thomas A Kempis, says it it a good thing to be educated, be he says its useless because it can't help you become a better catholic, and it can't save you, in fact it lessens your ignorance, and makes you more responsible for your actions.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 25 2005, 06:04 PM']Education's goal is to lead people closer to God ...
[right][snapback]835986[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Gotta love UD!

I agree with the earlier statement that some people require more education to fulfill God's will for them -- something our falsely "equal" society tries to ignore.

photosynthesis

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 25 2005, 07:53 PM']In response to this thread, I think you say two different things.
The goal of a good education is to make you a better person.
Is the goal for God to love us or for us to love God?  Well, God loving us is not something we can really affect, and it's not really important, it's there.  :)

We're supposed to love God, and that's what an education does.  It draws us towards love of our Creator.  (This is an education, not just a learning experience, which I say are completely different).  :)
[right][snapback]835979[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Really? Because I know tons of people with college degrees who don't even acknowledge God's existence, much less love Him. But am I to say they're uneducated? Well, in terms of spiritual matters, yes. But some of them even have degrees in religion. I know plenty of atheists out there with Theology and Philosophy degrees who have read more Sacred Scripture, Patristics and theological classics than I've ever read. But they're atheists, and I'm not. Are they better than me because they have doctoral degrees and I've only (just recently) gotten a Bachelor's? No. Am I better than them because I love God? I also don't think so.

I have a cousin who is mentally disabled. He can't tie his own shoes, but he has this unshakable faith in the Real Presence and is, in my opinion, a lot holier than the Ph.D friends who deny their Creator.

Also, there are plenty of people out there who have plenty of intelligence but for some reason, don't have a college degree, and often this is because it's just God's plan.

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 25 2005, 08:04 PM']Oh no!  It is the purpose of an education, but recently it is not cared about or used, so I don't think that education fulfills its purpose very much.

Plus, people have to be open to that, and...well, most people aren't.

Education's goal is to lead people closer to God, but most people ignore that anyways.
[right][snapback]835986[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
is an education that has not fulfilled its purpose really an education?