Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

modest clothing?


Recommended Posts

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

So I've heard people (esp. young women) complain that its hard to find modest clothes these days.
I decided to search the net for sites that have modest clothes for women and I'm not terribly impressed.
Does anyone know of any sites (ideally Catholic) that have good looking modest clothing?

These are the sites I checked out:

[url="http://www.hannahlise.com/"]http://www.hannahlise.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.modestclothing.com/"]http://www.modestclothing.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.modestapparelusa.com/"]http://www.modestapparelusa.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.artizara.com/"]http://www.artizara.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.sewmodestclothing.com/"]http://www.sewmodestclothing.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.modestapparelchristianclothinglydiaofpurpledressescustomsewing.com/"]http://www.modestapparelchristianclothingl...stomsewing.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.achristianhome.com/ModestFeminine/ModestyFeminineAttireIndex.htm"]http://www.achristianhome.com/ModestFemini...AttireIndex.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.geocities.com/ajoyfulhandmaiden/"]http://www.geocities.com/ajoyfulhandmaiden/[/url]
[url="http://utmost-way.com/lhm/"]http://utmost-way.com/lhm/[/url]
[url="http://www.thekingsdaughters.com/ladiesdresses.html"]http://www.thekingsdaughters.com/ladiesdresses.html[/url]
[url="http://www.practicallyprettydesign.com/"]http://www.practicallyprettydesign.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.littletouchofelegance.com/"]http://www.littletouchofelegance.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.modestclothing.bizhosting.com/"]http://www.modestclothing.bizhosting.com/[/url]
[url="http://plainlydressed.bravepages.com/ladiesgirlsclothingfile.html"]http://plainlydressed.bravepages.com/ladie...othingfile.html[/url]
[url="http://www.coverwear.com/?src=overture"]http://www.coverwear.com/?src=overture[/url]
[url="http://www.jenmagazine.com/modest-clothing/2004/11/modest-prom-dress-design-contest.asp"]http://www.jenmagazine.com/modest-clothing...ign-contest.asp[/url]
[url="http://www.sabrinanicole.com/"]http://www.sabrinanicole.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.waldsfe.org/Resources/clothing.htm"]http://www.waldsfe.org/Resources/clothing.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.sensibility.com/mainpage.htm"]http://www.sensibility.com/mainpage.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.amongthehedgerows.com/"]http://www.amongthehedgerows.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.farthingales.on.ca/home.htm"]http://www.farthingales.on.ca/home.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.modest-swimwear.net/"]http://www.modest-swimwear.net/[/url]

I'm just trying to find resources that I can pass on to other people.

Posted

Those people all look like Hutterites.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='catholicinsd' date='Dec 29 2005, 07:47 PM']Those people all look like Hutterites.
[right][snapback]839283[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
yeah, a couple of the sites were pretty cool at least.

Posted (edited)

Any specially labelled so-called "modest" clothing I've ever seen looks like it was designed for the Amish, Little House on the Prairie rejects or people who want to dress like my 90 year old granny. Not to mention the fact that most of them seem to think it's immoral for women to wear pants. You're far better going into a normal shop and picking up something there. I've heard people complaining that it's impossible, but really, it isn't. Shops do sell items of clothing that aren't spray-on jeans, tube tops or micro-mini skirts.

Edited by Deeds
Posted

I buy clothes from Coldwater Creek and L.L. Bean and feel plenty modest... :unsure:

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

I think the old school styles are cooler.. like miss Elizabeth Swann type clothes.. I wish ladies still dressed crazy elegant like that still.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
Posted

Shopping in the misses section or the petite section provides a lot of modest clothing. I tend to stay in those sections when picking up clothes now-a-days... the pants are looser, come up a little higher and the shirts are longer and with higher neck-lines.

Posted

I didn't look at all those sites, but the handful I checked out ... I couldn't wear those clothes to work. Not professional AT ALL.

I don't have a problem finding clothes that are well-cut and modest in normal stores. I'm wearing some right now.

Posted

i like to dress like a harlot, thanks :smokey:

Posted

Uh, no offense to Elizabeth Swan, but I'd much prefer to wear clothes I can breathe in! I don't so much have a problem with finding modest clothes, but rather clothes for women with body figures other than that of a twig (no offense to those women with high metabolisms).

Most of the things I find at the mall or at a department store can be modest. You just have to look around. Catalogues such as LLBean and Land's End can have very modest (and well-made) clothes. For professional attire, I suggest the sales racks at The Limited, Ann Taylor, or Talbots (those are for the shorter statured women). I say "sales" rack intentionally... that stuff is way too expensive full price.

Oh, and another good site for professional, modest clothes is [url="http://www.hannaandersson.com/division.asp?mcn=4&gpId=32"]Hanna Andersson[/url].

Posted

Don't post those links...... I used to go super-modest ultra-holiness church, and I was trained to be attracted to girls like they have on those sites......... all those pretty girls on those sites...... :love:

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='tomasio127' date='Dec 29 2005, 09:09 PM']Don't post those links...... I used to go super-modest ultra-holiness church, and I was trained to be attracted to girls like they have on those sites......... all those pretty girls on those sites...... :love:
[right][snapback]839355[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:rolling:

not sure that this is a bad thing. :sweat:

Posted

[quote name='tomasio127' date='Dec 29 2005, 10:09 PM']Don't post those links...... I used to go super-modest ultra-holiness church, and I was trained to be attracted to girls like they have on those sites......... all those pretty girls on those sites...... :love:
[right][snapback]839355[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
In my alternate universe pretend church, I was trained to be attracted only to those men who wear pants where their boxers/underwear isn't showing and the crotch of the pants doesn't hang down to their knees. Can we have websites for appropriate fitting men's clothing too?

Posted

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='Dec 29 2005, 09:55 PM']i  like to dress like a harlot, thanks  :smokey:
[right][snapback]839336[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


:rolling:

Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 29 2005, 11:11 PM']:rolling:

not sure that this is a bad thing.  :sweat:
[right][snapback]839358[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

lol..... it's not, you're just over-loading me, I haven't seen so many pretty girls since I left that church..... :love:

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

I'm just tired of the profane androgyny and banality of contemporary fashion. I suppose this is just another aspect of my aversion to the post-modern and post-post-modern vampiric ravaging of humanity's soul.
I suppose it’s comparable to my general aesthetic sensibilities. There is something grotesque and desacralizing about the popular culture in which I find myself immersed. A spirit of pragmatism and the mundane eclipses the mystery and transcendence which authentic culture seeks to embody. But certainly it is far worse than this. What is embodied is not the mystery of being and of the human person, but rather a tribute to absurdity and a perverse ravaging will. Yes, surely blue jeans and t-shirts are from the devil. :hehehe:

I'm being melodramatic, don't worry. :rolling:

missionseeker
Posted

[quote name='Deeds' date='Dec 29 2005, 08:55 PM']Any specially labelled so-called "modest" clothing I've ever seen looks like it was designed for the Amish, Little House on the Prairie rejects or people who want to dress like my 90 year old granny. Not to mention the fact that most of them seem to think it's immoral for women to wear pants.
[right][snapback]839293[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


[quote name='shortnun' date='Dec 29 2005, 09:56 PM'] I don't so much have a problem with finding modest clothes, but rather clothes for women with body figures other than that of a twig (no offense to those women with high metabolisms).

[right][snapback]839338[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

that is my problem.
I'm not fat. I just have a different shape than the average model. But I'm learning to sew this week. So soon all my problems will be solved!

Posted

[quote name='shortnun' date='Dec 29 2005, 08:56 PM']Uh, no offense to Elizabeth Swan, but I'd much prefer to wear clothes I can breathe in! I don't so much have a problem with finding modest clothes, but rather clothes for women with body figures other than that of a twig (no offense to those women with high metabolisms).

Most of the things I find at the mall or at a department store can be modest. You just have to look around. Catalogues such as LLBean and Land's End can have very modest (and well-made) clothes. For professional attire, I suggest the sales racks at The Limited, Ann Taylor, or Talbots (those are for the shorter statured women). I say "sales" rack intentionally... that stuff is way too expensive full price.

Oh, and another good site for professional, modest clothes is [url="http://www.hannaandersson.com/division.asp?mcn=4&gpId=32"]Hanna Andersson[/url].
[right][snapback]839338[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There are good deals to be had at those stores!

My newest favorite store is New York and Company. Their clothes this season are very classy and modest. They email me a coupon almost everyday, and it's fun to play the sales and the coupons right to get massive amounts of clothes for under 50 dollars (I don't do this all the time, but I do watch for the things I want to go really cheap).

Soemthing else I have found is H & M's normal line (not the one for juniors) has had some really nice modest clothes as of late. The waists are higher and the shirts and sweaters are longer. I think that's true at most places, though.

I would never wear anything from one of those sites. But that's my opinion...to each his own!

missionseeker
Posted

if your rich and like this knd of clothes [url="http://www.victoriantradingco.com/store/2b.html"]Victorian Trading Company[/url]is sometimes good (some of the stuff is lovely and some is more... Aunt Polly-ish?)
I want [url="http://www.victoriantradingco.com/store/catalogimages/2b/i7260.html"]This[/url] so bad.

I don't know why exactly but I have wanted it for about 2 years.

Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 29 2005, 07:39 PM']So I've heard people (esp. young women) complain that its hard to find modest clothes these days.
I decided to search the net for sites that have modest clothes for women and I'm not terribly impressed.
Does anyone know of any sites (ideally Catholic) that have good looking modest clothing?

These are the sites I checked out:

[url="http://www.hannahlise.com/"]http://www.hannahlise.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.modestclothing.com/"]http://www.modestclothing.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.modestapparelusa.com/"]http://www.modestapparelusa.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.artizara.com/"]http://www.artizara.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.sewmodestclothing.com/"]http://www.sewmodestclothing.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.modestapparelchristianclothinglydiaofpurpledressescustomsewing.com/"]http://www.modestapparelchristianclothingl...stomsewing.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.achristianhome.com/ModestFeminine/ModestyFeminineAttireIndex.htm"]http://www.achristianhome.com/ModestFemini...AttireIndex.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.geocities.com/ajoyfulhandmaiden/"]http://www.geocities.com/ajoyfulhandmaiden/[/url]
[url="http://utmost-way.com/lhm/"]http://utmost-way.com/lhm/[/url]
[url="http://www.thekingsdaughters.com/ladiesdresses.html"]http://www.thekingsdaughters.com/ladiesdresses.html[/url]
[url="http://www.practicallyprettydesign.com/"]http://www.practicallyprettydesign.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.littletouchofelegance.com/"]http://www.littletouchofelegance.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.modestclothing.bizhosting.com/"]http://www.modestclothing.bizhosting.com/[/url]
[url="http://plainlydressed.bravepages.com/ladiesgirlsclothingfile.html"]http://plainlydressed.bravepages.com/ladie...othingfile.html[/url]
[url="http://www.coverwear.com/?src=overture"]http://www.coverwear.com/?src=overture[/url]
[url="http://www.jenmagazine.com/modest-clothing/2004/11/modest-prom-dress-design-contest.asp"]http://www.jenmagazine.com/modest-clothing...ign-contest.asp[/url]
[url="http://www.sabrinanicole.com/"]http://www.sabrinanicole.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.waldsfe.org/Resources/clothing.htm"]http://www.waldsfe.org/Resources/clothing.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.sensibility.com/mainpage.htm"]http://www.sensibility.com/mainpage.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.amongthehedgerows.com/"]http://www.amongthehedgerows.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.farthingales.on.ca/home.htm"]http://www.farthingales.on.ca/home.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.modest-swimwear.net/"]http://www.modest-swimwear.net/[/url]

I'm just trying to find resources that I can pass on to other people.
[right][snapback]839274[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Dude, you must be a real slave to your girlfriend! Tell her to do her own darned clothes shopping!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...