Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

modest clothing?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Bullwinkle's been known to wear a burqa

Posted

I thought he was a boy? Or does he have gender identity issues?

Posted (edited)

He was in disguise

He was trying to fool Boris and Natasha



Plus I bet they're comfy

Edited by jaime
Posted

Right. Just like corsets are comfy.

Men. Pffft.

<_<

Posted

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 30 2005, 05:32 PM']Right. Just like corsets are comfy.

Men. Pffft.

<_<
[right][snapback]840247[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
\

Like you'd know

pfft

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 30 2005, 04:32 PM']Right. Just like corsets are comfy.

Men. Pffft.

<_<
[right][snapback]840247[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
amen, sister

Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Dec 30 2005, 06:34 PM']\

Like you'd know

pfft
[right][snapback]840252[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What's THAT supposed to mean?

:club:

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

most trads think it is wrong for women to wear pants.

Posted

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 30 2005, 06:41 PM']most trads think it is wrong for women to wear pants.
[right][snapback]840269[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That would seriously impinge on my lifestyle. Riding a bike in a skirt doesn't work for me.

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 30 2005, 04:41 PM']most trads think it is wrong for women to wear pants.
[right][snapback]840269[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Most trads are wrong.

Posted

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 30 2005, 05:36 PM']What's THAT supposed to mean?

:club:
[right][snapback]840258[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You tellin me you've worn a corset?



There isn't a woman alive today that has

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

actually there is a lot of evidence for women not wearing pants from Cardinal Siri, The bible, and Saint Thomas Aquinas.

franciscanheart
Posted

St Thomas Aquinas :love:

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 30 2005, 04:41 PM']most trads think it is wrong for women to wear pants.
[right][snapback]840269[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't think its wrong, and sometimes it seems appropriate, but in general I think its tacky and unattractive. But I don't thing its evil or sinful or anything, I just have my tastes.

I just compare stuff like this:

[img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/275000/images/_277881_jeans300.jpg[/img]

[img]http://salzers.myvideostore.com/images/gallery/73493/22.jpg[/img]

Or this:

[img]http://www.choiceforyou.co.uk/assets/agency/M/B/B2772aKS05.jpg[/img][img]http://www.simshost.com/chronicle/images/temp/thesimrepublic_20050208_02.jpg[/img][img]http://www.made-in-china.com/showimages/111/500013529/0/Women_s_Jeans_(wk455a1705).jpg[/img]
with something like this:
[img]http://img161.exs.cx/img161/990/photopromo29ew.jpg[/img]
[img]http://salzers.myvideostore.com/images/gallery/73493/05.jpg[/img]
[img]http://atgbcentral.com/prideprejudice2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://salzers.myvideostore.com/images/gallery/73493/10.jpg[/img]

Sorry, but the only thing striking to me about the cheap androgynous look (pants and what not) is its banality and profanity.
But it's not so much that I dislike the pants look as that I greatly appreciate the style which seeks to accentuate feminine beauty in a dignified and mysterious way.
But it goes both ways. T-shirts (which I consider to be underwear) are common for men's day to day attire, and even the more formal clothing for men tends to be cheap, minimalistic tripe.

franciscanheart
Posted

looking at them side by side i have to agree. jeans are rather comfortable for private use but for the most part i prefer to be in skirts or dresses. when the occassion calls for it i also enjoy ball gowns.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Dec 30 2005, 04:48 PM']You tellin me you've worn a corset?
There isn't a woman alive today that has
[right][snapback]840283[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
My ex wore corsets and insisted that they are comfortable enough. She also would scoff at the idea that you can't wear skirts or dresses in the winter time. She never wore pants and just had thicker skirts and under garments that she wore in the winter.
Besides this, nice clothing tends to be more restrictive then shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops, it's to be expected.
I just think of my old dance parner, who would wear classic formal wear when we danced.. I would be dressed in a suit with the vest and the whole thing, and I would say that I clearly had more problems with being restricted and over-heated. But I certainly wouldn't dream of using that as an excuse to dress down. It just depends on where your values are in dressing I suppose. I've never had a problem wearing suits in the summer, I just wear a summer suit, not some heavy wool thing.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

[quote]Deuteronomy is very clear on this point: “A woman shall not be clothed with a man’s apparel; neither shall a man use woman’s apparel: for he that doeth these things is abominable before God “(22:5). With this base, the Church consistently and constantly condemned the use of trousers by women.

An example of this teaching is St. Thomas Aquinas’ doctrine:

    “Outward apparel should be consistent with the state of the person according to general custom. Hence it is in itself sinful for a woman to wear man’s clothes, or vice-versa; especially since this may be the cause of sensuous pleasure; and it is expressly forbidden in the Law (Deut 22) …. Nevertheless this may be done at times on account of some necessity, either in order to hide oneself from enemies, or through lack of other clothes, or for some other such reason” (Summa Theologiae II, II, question 169, article 2, reply to objection 3).[/quote]

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Dec 30 2005, 05:03 PM']looking at them side by side i have to agree. jeans are rather comfortable for private use but for the most part i prefer to be in skirts or dresses. when the occassion calls for it i also enjoy ball gowns.
[right][snapback]840322[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:woot:

you're so cool.. :blush:

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 30 2005, 05:06 PM'] It just depends on where your values are in dressing I suppose. I've never had a problem wearing suits in the summer, I just wear a summer suit, not some heavy wool thing.
[right][snapback]840329[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

When one deals with poo, vomit and snot on a regular basis, one likes to dress in casual, wash and wear clothes.

franciscanheart
Posted

honestly... when i get married i think i will be more inclined to chuck the jeans. i want to look feminine and attractive around my husband and thats what skirts give me a lot of the time. not that i dont feel that way without them... it just enhances the feeling when i have them on. and i dont know... theres something very right about the little house on the prairie look. i love it. i always have. and i will dress that way for my husband. it wont be easy... but im willing to make that sacrifice.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...