Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey friends,

check this out .... this is the official trailer of The Da Vinci Code which will come out in May 2006.

[url="http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/da_vinci_code/large.html"]Da Vinci Code Trailer[/url]

What do you think of it? :mellow:

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

what a lie.

then at the end of the trailer it says "seek the truth"

I am tempted to see it though.

Posted

I haven't read the book .. don't have much time at hand tbh. But artistically speaking, I think it is going to be a nice movie. As regards to the content, I think one shouldn't make a big fuss out of it but watch it through a fiction perspective. What do you think? ^_^

Posted

Its going to be misleading garbage. Thats what its going to be, its going to be another lie that leads catholics away from the faith..

Posted

[quote name='Akalyte' date='Jan 1 2006, 09:20 AM']Its going to be misleading garbage. Thats what its going to be, its going to be another lie that leads catholics away from the faith..
[right][snapback]842450[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

and lead others to have even more mistaken views of the Church. Now instead of having to do apologetic work on sola fida or the Pope, we might have to learn how to defend against 'albino white monks' or Church consipircy and corruption.

Posted

If one really believes in Jesus and his church nothing can ever shake the foundations of his/her life. That is what I think. It can effect tose who are not fully convinced of their relationship with Christ however.

Myles Domini
Posted

[quote name='dandy777' date='Jan 1 2006, 04:25 PM']If one really believes in Jesus and his church nothing can ever shake the foundations of his/her life. That is what I think. It can effect tose who are not fully convinced of their relationship with Christ however.
[right][snapback]842452[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ideally, yes. However, the book makes a number of historical claims--which it asserts are true inspite of the books ficitional provenance--and Catholics who are untrained in apologetics (that is the vast majority of us) may find it difficult to stand strong. True faith is not a blind faith and if one is posed with a question that would strike at the heart of your religion without having an answer to give in return I'd be genuinely concerned if one's faith was not shaken. Evidently all that Brown says can be shown to be fallacious but do all Catholic possess the resources to see that? Moreover, what about non-Catholics? Those to whom we wish to bring the message of Christ? A lamp is not lit to be put under a bushel. This movie may well impact upon our ability to radiate the Light of Christ to the forsaken by further perverting their impression of the Holy Catholic faith. Conversely for those who are willing to actually seek truth this book might spark their curiousity e.g. [url="http://www.opusdei.co.uk/art.php?w=20&s=362"]Channel 4 documentary on Opus Dei [/url]

Posted

[quote name='Akalyte' date='Jan 1 2006, 10:20 AM']Its going to be misleading garbage. Thats what its going to be, its going to be another lie that leads catholics away from the faith..
[right][snapback]842450[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Pretty much. Pretty depressing.

Posted

Our pastor wants to start a local boycott of the movie, and stated that anyone who goes to see this movie, is contributing to the destruction of our religion (he's an activist). I agree with him, because when you purchase a ticket to see this movie, you're giving money to those who made it, which in turn will use that to create more garbage against Catholicism.

If you want to see the movie, wait for it to come on DvD, and rent it (don't buy it).

Posted

I'm definitely gonna catch this...

Posted

I'm definitely going to watch it. Anyone who doesn't is contributing to the foul ignorance that allows people to state an arguement against our faith and let it go unanswered. Watch it to see what the questions people would ask at least. It's hard to argue if you don't know the arguements of the other side and many people are going to see this movie. I'll probably rent it our watch it in the theatres for the cinamatic effect.

Posted

[quote name='musturde' date='Jan 1 2006, 05:15 PM']I'm definitely going to watch it. Anyone who doesn't is contributing to the foul ignorance that allows people to state an arguement against our faith and let it go unanswered. Watch it to see what the questions people would ask at least. It's hard to argue if you don't know the arguements of the other side and many people are going to see this movie. I'll probably rent it our watch it in the theatres for the cinamatic effect.
[right][snapback]842688[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You could borrow the book from someone, or get it at the library. You can also rent the movie when it comes out to DvD. Most importantly, you can buy the few books out there that counter the Da Vinci Code. One of them being [b]The Da Vinch Hoax[/b], by Carl Olson and Sandra Miesel.

There is no excuse to support this film, and I strongly advise every devout Catholic to [b]NOT[/b] see it in theaters, or purchase it on DvD.


[b]People complain about how our media is going down the drain[/b], [b][u]yet these same people deliberately support these films financially, by either purchasing a ticket or buying it on DvD/VHS.[/u] [/b]

Posted

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Jan 1 2006, 04:26 PM']You could borrow the book from someone, or get it at the library.  You can also rent the movie when it comes out to DvD.  Most importantly, you can buy the few books out there that counter the Da Vinci Code.  One of them being [b]The Da Vinch Hoax[/b], by Carl Olson and Sandra Miesel.

There is no excuse to support this film, and I strongly advise every devout Catholic to [b]NOT[/b] see it in theaters, or purchase it on DvD.
[b]People complain about how our media is going down the drain[/b], [b][u]yet these same people deliberately support these films financially, by either purchasing a ticket or buying it on DvD/VHS.[/u]  [/b]
[right][snapback]842696[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I already have the Da Vinci Code with pictures (the expensive version... it was a gift) and I have the Hoax.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

i have boath too!

Myles Domini
Posted

[quote name='musturde' date='Jan 1 2006, 10:31 PM']I already have the Da Vinci Code with pictures (the expensive version... it was a gift) and I have the Hoax.
[right][snapback]842704[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why then do you need to see the motion picture for investigative purposes? :huh:

Posted

[quote name='musturde' date='Jan 1 2006, 05:31 PM']I already have the Da Vinci Code with pictures (the expensive version... it was a gift) and I have the Hoax.
[right][snapback]842704[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Then why see the movie? It'll either be exactly the same as the book, or it'll have lesser content (which in most novel-film adaptions, this is the case).

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

because it will be a night out!

Posted (edited)

[Delete post]

Edited by Paladin D
Myles Domini
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 1 2006, 10:36 PM']because it will be a night out!
[right][snapback]842711[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sam, you surprise me, on one side you're very traditional and on the other your supporting a motion picture which perpetuates gnostic myths and tries to attack the heart of the Catholic faith by playing to anti-Catholic predjudices? The Da Vinci Code may as well be a 17th century anti-Jesuit German pamphlet for all the factual information and impartiality contained therein.

Edited by Myles
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

no i was just joking :lol:

i will not see the movie.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...