An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anybody have Catholic book club suggestions?

OLAM Dad

My wife and I started a book club about 8 years ago here in the Houston area. We meet about 5 - 6 times a year. We start the meeting around 6:30 and it ends by 10. We have food, fellowship and of course we discuss the book/s for the month. The food is pot luck. Recently we've started a new trend. We have a food theme based on the book/s. For example, last month our book was [u]Salt of the Earth[/u] by then Cardinal Ratzinger. Our food theme was German. We've also done French, Polish (guess who!) and this month our book is [u]The Refutation of Moral Relativism[/u] by Peter Kreeft so we are doing Dutch. My wife emailed Professor Kreeft to find out what his heritage is. :) Fortunately Dutch cuisine has a strong Indonesian influence so the choice of dishes is greatly expanded. (I love Indonesian food).

Anywho, I was wondering whether you guys might have some suggestions for good Catholic books to read. We don't really have a specific genre that we follow as long as it is solidly Catholic.

Here is a brief sampling of some of the books we've discussed to give you an idea of how diverse our Catholic book selections have been.

Story of a Soul
Pierced by a Sword and the other two Macfarlane books (I know, I know. It's sad)
Preparation for Death
Most of Louis DeWohl's fictional novels based on the lives of the saints (highly recommended)
Theology for Beginners
The Seven Last Words of Christ
Utopia
Apostolate of Holy Motherhood
Secret of the Rosary
Introduction to the Devout Life
The Family that Overtook Christ
Wisdom's Fool
Momma Margaret
In the Shadow of His Wings
He Leadeth Me
Windswept House
Come Rack, Come Rope
Trianon

You get the idea.

I'm looking for some ideas from you guys.

What are you reading?

I saw a new book from the Holy Father in Barnes and Noble last week, called "On the Way to Jesus Christ". I read the first chapter, and it blew me away. You might want to check it out.

Also, one of my favorite books is CS Lewis "The Great Divorce". Although it's not specifically Catholic, it's excellent.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Jan 5 2006, 08:39 PM']I saw a new book from the Holy Father in Barnes and Noble last week, called "On the Way to Jesus Christ". I read the first chapter, and it blew me away. You might want to check it out.

Also, one of my favorite books is CS Lewis "The Great Divorce". Although it's not specifically Catholic, it's excellent.
[right][snapback]847424[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You're right, he's not Catholic. But we did read the Screwtape Letters. :blush:

A couple of years ago my daughter, Sr. Lauren (Totus Tuus), wrote a Catholic version of Screwtape that was Catholic. It was only one chapter but it was awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i am reading the screw tape letters. Lewis was pretty close to bieng catholic.

I think letters to young catholics (which is actually NOT just for young catholics) is a very good book.

Just a few things that jumped out at me from my bookshelf:

"Swimming with Scapulars" by Matthew Lickona
[i]*in my opinion, the writing is excellent. A devotional read about a young Catholic man and his challenges in faith and life.*[/i]

"When God is Silent" by Barbara Brown Taylor
[i]*Okay, so it's not by a Catholic, but the possible meditations she sets forth for her readers are endless. And again, the writing is beautiful.*[/i]

"By What Authority: A Primer on Scripture, the Magisterium, and the Sense of the Faithful" by Richard Gaillardetz
[i]*this book allowed me, for the first time, to reflect upon the baptismal authority that I have been given. [/i]

"What Makes Us Catholic: Eight Gifts for Life" by Thomas Groome
[i]*Allowed me to more fully understand, and fall in love with, the sacramental Church I am a part of*[/i]

"The Life you save might be your own" by Paul Elie
[i]*a biography that traces the lives of Walker Percy, Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, and Flannery O'Connor. I first read about this in a a write-up in the Wall Street Journal a few years back. Really brilliant. Depicts how four Americans strove for sainthood while on this earth.*[/i]

"Seven Storey Mountain" by Thomas Merton
[i]*A classic. Well worth reading.*[/i]

Edited by shortnun

Thomas A Kempis' The Imitation of Christ.

Classic book, I especially love the parts with the dialogue between Jesus and the Disciple and the section of Holy Communion.

GuyWithAFoil

I am reading The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.
Be careful which copy you get though, I have the contemproary version by William Griffin which I would not recomend. I am sorry I don't have a particular copy to recomend but the message behind Kempis's writing is very good!

Also, my parish does a book group in the fall which my father attends. The last book chosen was Faithful Listening: Discernment in everyday life by Joan Mueller. My dad enjoyed it greatly

Check 'em out!

Hope this is helpful to you

:cool:

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 5 2006, 08:45 PM']i am reading the screw tape letters. Lewis was pretty close to bieng catholic.

I think letters to young catholics (which is actually NOT just for young catholics) is a very good book.
[right][snapback]847433[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sam, whose the author of the book Letters for young Catholics?

"With God in Russia" It's kinda like "In the shadow of his wings"

"Quo Vadis"

"Wild at heart" I've never read it but my friends say it's a good book. I don't think the author is Catholic, but he does make some good points from what I hear.

"Literary Converts" Biographies of several famous Catholic authors, playwrights, etc.

"An Exorcist tells his story."

[quote name='shortnun' date='Jan 5 2006, 08:00 PM']Just a few things that jumped out at me from my bookshelf:

"Swimming with Scapulars" by Matthew Lickona
[i]*in my opinion, the writing is excellent. A devotional read about a young Catholic man and his challenges in faith and life.*[/i][right][snapback]847453[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This is a very good book, I have it as well.

I'm reading:

[i]The Ratzinger Report[/i] with Pope Benedict XVI (Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger) and Vittorio Messori

[i]The Screwtape Letters[/i]

and there's one more i'm reading i can't remember! :annoyed:

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Jan 6 2006, 10:50 AM']and there's one more i'm reading i can't remember! :annoyed:
[right][snapback]847863[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It must not be very good.