Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anybody have Catholic book club suggestions?


Recommended Posts

Posted

My wife and I started a book club about 8 years ago here in the Houston area. We meet about 5 - 6 times a year. We start the meeting around 6:30 and it ends by 10. We have food, fellowship and of course we discuss the book/s for the month. The food is pot luck. Recently we've started a new trend. We have a food theme based on the book/s. For example, last month our book was [u]Salt of the Earth[/u] by then Cardinal Ratzinger. Our food theme was German. We've also done French, Polish (guess who!) and this month our book is [u]The Refutation of Moral Relativism[/u] by Peter Kreeft so we are doing Dutch. My wife emailed Professor Kreeft to find out what his heritage is. :) Fortunately Dutch cuisine has a strong Indonesian influence so the choice of dishes is greatly expanded. (I love Indonesian food).

Anywho, I was wondering whether you guys might have some suggestions for good Catholic books to read. We don't really have a specific genre that we follow as long as it is solidly Catholic.

Here is a brief sampling of some of the books we've discussed to give you an idea of how diverse our Catholic book selections have been.

Story of a Soul
Pierced by a Sword and the other two Macfarlane books (I know, I know. It's sad)
Preparation for Death
Most of Louis DeWohl's fictional novels based on the lives of the saints (highly recommended)
Theology for Beginners
The Seven Last Words of Christ
Utopia
Apostolate of Holy Motherhood
Secret of the Rosary
Introduction to the Devout Life
The Family that Overtook Christ
Wisdom's Fool
Momma Margaret
In the Shadow of His Wings
He Leadeth Me
Windswept House
Come Rack, Come Rope
Trianon

You get the idea.

I'm looking for some ideas from you guys.

What are you reading?

Posted

I saw a new book from the Holy Father in Barnes and Noble last week, called "On the Way to Jesus Christ". I read the first chapter, and it blew me away. You might want to check it out.

Also, one of my favorite books is CS Lewis "The Great Divorce". Although it's not specifically Catholic, it's excellent.

Posted

[quote name='Era Might' date='Jan 5 2006, 08:39 PM']I saw a new book from the Holy Father in Barnes and Noble last week, called "On the Way to Jesus Christ". I read the first chapter, and it blew me away. You might want to check it out.

Also, one of my favorite books is CS Lewis "The Great Divorce". Although it's not specifically Catholic, it's excellent.
[right][snapback]847424[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You're right, he's not Catholic. But we did read the Screwtape Letters. :blush:

A couple of years ago my daughter, Sr. Lauren (Totus Tuus), wrote a Catholic version of Screwtape that was Catholic. It was only one chapter but it was awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

i am reading the screw tape letters. Lewis was pretty close to bieng catholic.

I think letters to young catholics (which is actually NOT just for young catholics) is a very good book.

Posted (edited)

Just a few things that jumped out at me from my bookshelf:

"Swimming with Scapulars" by Matthew Lickona
[i]*in my opinion, the writing is excellent. A devotional read about a young Catholic man and his challenges in faith and life.*[/i]

"When God is Silent" by Barbara Brown Taylor
[i]*Okay, so it's not by a Catholic, but the possible meditations she sets forth for her readers are endless. And again, the writing is beautiful.*[/i]

"By What Authority: A Primer on Scripture, the Magisterium, and the Sense of the Faithful" by Richard Gaillardetz
[i]*this book allowed me, for the first time, to reflect upon the baptismal authority that I have been given. [/i]

"What Makes Us Catholic: Eight Gifts for Life" by Thomas Groome
[i]*Allowed me to more fully understand, and fall in love with, the sacramental Church I am a part of*[/i]

"The Life you save might be your own" by Paul Elie
[i]*a biography that traces the lives of Walker Percy, Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, and Flannery O'Connor. I first read about this in a a write-up in the Wall Street Journal a few years back. Really brilliant. Depicts how four Americans strove for sainthood while on this earth.*[/i]

"Seven Storey Mountain" by Thomas Merton
[i]*A classic. Well worth reading.*[/i]

Edited by shortnun
Posted

Thomas A Kempis' The Imitation of Christ.

Classic book, I especially love the parts with the dialogue between Jesus and the Disciple and the section of Holy Communion.

GuyWithAFoil
Posted

I am reading The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.
Be careful which copy you get though, I have the contemproary version by William Griffin which I would not recomend. I am sorry I don't have a particular copy to recomend but the message behind Kempis's writing is very good!

Also, my parish does a book group in the fall which my father attends. The last book chosen was Faithful Listening: Discernment in everyday life by Joan Mueller. My dad enjoyed it greatly

Check 'em out!

Hope this is helpful to you

:cool:

Posted

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 5 2006, 08:45 PM']i am reading the screw tape letters. Lewis was pretty close to bieng catholic.

I think letters to young catholics (which is actually NOT just for young catholics) is a very good book.
[right][snapback]847433[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sam, whose the author of the book Letters for young Catholics?

Posted

Um...that was Kristina...I was to lazy to log my dad off. *blush*

Posted

"With God in Russia" It's kinda like "In the shadow of his wings"

"Quo Vadis"

"Wild at heart" I've never read it but my friends say it's a good book. I don't think the author is Catholic, but he does make some good points from what I hear.

"Literary Converts" Biographies of several famous Catholic authors, playwrights, etc.

"An Exorcist tells his story."

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Posted

hahah

George Weigel

its very good

i would reat it

part of it takes place in baltimore :D:

Posted (edited)

Thanks, all.

Keep them coming.

Edited by OLAM Dad
Posted

[quote name='shortnun' date='Jan 5 2006, 08:00 PM']Just a few things that jumped out at me from my bookshelf:

"Swimming with Scapulars" by Matthew Lickona
[i]*in my opinion, the writing is excellent. A devotional read about a young Catholic man and his challenges in faith and life.*[/i][right][snapback]847453[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This is a very good book, I have it as well.

I'm reading:

[i]The Ratzinger Report[/i] with Pope Benedict XVI (Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger) and Vittorio Messori

[i]The Screwtape Letters[/i]

and there's one more i'm reading i can't remember! :annoyed:

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Jan 6 2006, 10:50 AM']and there's one more i'm reading i can't remember! :annoyed:
[right][snapback]847863[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It must not be very good.

Posted

no, i just got it, and started reading it,

wait!!!!!

[i]The Soul of the Apostolate[/i] by Jean-Baptiste Chautard - this book was recommended by Pope St. Pius X!

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Jan 6 2006, 11:00 AM']this book was recommended by Pope St. Pius X!
[right][snapback]847875[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh, what does he know???

Fides_et_Ratio
Posted

Has your group read any Chesterton? Because, if you've all read C.S. Lewis, and skipped over G.K. Chesterton... you're all in BIG trouble.

Posted

The Shoes of the Fisherman, of Morris West, i recommend the book.
I am reading "castillo interior" of S. Teresa of Jesus, brilliant. But his I am not titled in english.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Jan 6 2006, 11:15 AM']Has your group read any Chesterton? Because, if you've all read C.S. Lewis, and skipped over G.K. Chesterton... you're all in BIG trouble.
[right][snapback]847890[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No we haven't read him as a group. But you're right, we should.

Which would you recommend for a book club, one that will spark good discussion?

Edited by OLAM Dad

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...