An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anybody have Catholic book club suggestions?

OLAM Dad

GuyWithAFoil

The Jesus I Never Knew, by Philip Yancey

My Priest recomended it, my parents are reading it now and like it a lot

I would highly recommend "How Much is Enough?" by Arthur R. Simon. This book deals with a very important subject in the lives of Americans today... materialism in place of spirituality. Check it out!

argent_paladin

I just started "Catholic Matters" by Richard John Neuhaus. It discusses many of the current controversies concerning the Church, from a very orthodox perspective. Highly recommended.

I would also like to second the rec for Noonan's book "John Paul the Great."

I also just finished Michael Rose's Benedict XVI: The Man Who Was Ratzinger. It is quite good and delves into the current hot topics as well. It is a very optimistic (for traditional Cathoilcs) look at the next few years of the Benedict papacy.

argent_paladin

[quote name='Daniel9' date='Mar 16 2006, 02:39 PM']I would highly recommend "How Much is Enough?" by Arthur R. Simon.  This book deals with a very important subject in the lives of Americans today... materialism in place of spirituality.  Check it out!
[right][snapback]913405[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I read The High Price of Materialism by Tim Kasser. It is on the same subject and I highly recommend it. It gives a wealth of evidence that materialism makes us unhappy and wealth does little to make us happy. Stuff we know already, but it is good to have so much evidence backing it up.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Some very short, quick, and easy reads are some of the books written by Fr. Paul O'Sullivan... They date back to 1945 I think, but such easy and practicle things! One of my favorites is [i]All About the Angels[/i]. It is about 200 pages long but it is a smaller book. I loved it and really made me think more about the angels everyday! :) But most of his books are beautiful and simple, even though they are from '45.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='GuyWithAFoil' date='Jan 5 2006, 08:15 PM']I am reading The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.
Be careful which copy you get though, I have the contemproary version by William Griffin which I would not recomend. I am sorry I don't have a particular copy to recomend but the message behind Kempis's writing is very good!

[right][snapback]847468[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was wondering, does anyone have a particularly good version of Imitation of Christ to recommend? There seems to be quite a few.

The New Faithful by Colleen Carroll is very good. Not strictly Catholic, but quite a good take on the rise of orthodoxy, and Fr. Benedict Groeshel applauded it.

What about The Jeweler's Shop by John Paul II (its under a Polish pseudonym that I can't remember though.) I want to read it, but have not yet. I need to find it. I want to read everything by John Paul II. :love:

And I can't not recommend Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales. He's so incredibly cool. For a French guy too.

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Apr 10 2006, 07:14 PM']The New Faithful by Colleen Carroll is very good. Not strictly Catholic, but quite a good take on the rise of orthodoxy, and Fr. Benedict Groeshel applauded it.

What about The Jeweler's Shop by John Paul II (its under a Polish pseudonym that I can't remember though.) I want to read it, but have not yet. I need to find it. I want to read everything by John Paul II. :love:

And I can't not recommend Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales. He's so incredibly cool. For a French guy too.
[right][snapback]942768[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Isn't the Jeweler's Shop just under his own name of Karol Wojtyla?

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 10 2006, 05:16 PM']Isn't the Jeweler's Shop just under his own name of Karol Wojtyla?
[right][snapback]942770[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

no... it's under Andrzej Jawien

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Apr 10 2006, 07:27 PM']no... it's under Andrzej Jawien
[right][snapback]942779[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

when I bought the Jeweler's Shop about 12 yrs ago, it was listed under his own name. . .but I don't have it anymore, so it could be under a pseudonym on the inside :unsure:

But seriously. . .does anyone know of a good edition/translation of the Imitation of Christ?? What about Challoner?