An Old School Catholic Message Board

HS Vocations Fair 2006

ForHimAlone

Hey everyone! Our high school is putting on our 2nd annual Vocations Fair this year in a couple months, and we want to expand it a lot this year. We're bringing in a very devout couple to talk about married life, and a consecrated virgin from our diocese will also be present.

I'm in the diocese of La Crosse, Wisconsin in the west central part of the state. We're looking for some good, orthodox, habited religious to bring in. We've already got the Franciscan Sisters of the Martyr St. George and some Franciscan brothers from MN coming. I'm looking for more religious who would be relatively close by and who would really exemplify the spirit of religious life. Any ideas for communities to contact?

Also, I'm looking for any vocation promotional videos from the Internet that we could possibly show, especially for the young men.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. We want to make this really big this year!

Birgitta Noel

I don't know if the Community of St. John would consider coming, they're in central IL, but they'd be great! There are Contemplative Sisters in the US and Contemplative Apostolic Brothers. Let me know if you're interested and I can put you in contact with them.

[quote name='Birgitta Noel' date='Jan 14 2006, 06:56 PM']I don't know if the Community of St. John would consider coming, they're in central IL, but they'd be great!  There are Contemplative Sisters in the US and Contemplative Apostolic Brothers.  Let me know if you're interested and I can put you in contact with them.
[right][snapback]856219[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was actually at their monastery just two weeks ago. That would be wonderful if they could come! Could you PM me their contact info?

There are some sisters who are Apostles of the Interior Life in Madison. Although they're not habited, they are VERY orthodox and work primarily with young adults seeking to discern a vocation to the priesthood/religious life. I am friends with one of the sisters in Madison and I can assure you that they would be a wonderful addition to your vocations fair.

The Fransiscan Sisters of Christian Charity are also in Wisconsin (eastern part, I believe) and they are orthodox & habited. On their website are some neat promotional-type videos which might be helpful for you.

Edited by magnificat

How about the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Wauwatosa--I know that they are closer to Milwaukee but they are a fine order of sisters.

How about the Sisters of Nazareth...they have aconvent in Stoughton but they are selling ti and moving at the end of the yr...i coudl go with one of the Sisters if needed to....just Pm me if you wan their contact info....oh and what about the handmaids of nazareth...tehya re a growing community...they have convetns all over...i know for a few sisters who would love to come...just pm if you need anymore

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Jan 14 2006, 08:51 PM']I'M supposed to be coming to La Crosse in Febuary to visit the House of Formation.
[right][snapback]856268[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

wow that sou nds wonderful...my first thought...LUCKY!!!! LOL, i have always wantwed to visit the housr of formaiton, but for some reaosn they wouldnt allow me too.....idk!!! but the sisters are wonderful...tell them i said hi and if you want to brush up on History of the community ask about the name Sixtina....thats where i got my name from...the Marytrs!!!!

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Jan 14 2006, 07:51 PM']I'M supposed to be coming to La Crosse in Febuary to visit the House of Formation.
[right][snapback]856268[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Wonderful! My friend is an aspirant at the House of Formation right now. This is her second year living there, and she just loves it. I've only been there once, but it is a wonderful place to be certain.

Hey I know there are several Carmelite monasteries in Wisconsin do you think any of them would be interested in coming?

P.S. For Him alone I love your avatar :P:

Edited by Marieteresa

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Jan 15 2006, 01:04 PM']Hey I know there are several Carmelite monasteries in Wisconsin do you think any of them would be interested in coming?

P.S. For Him alone I love your avatar  :P:
[right][snapback]856722[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am not aware of any Carmelite monasteries that are not cloistered in Wisconsin, aside from the Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus in Milwaukee. They are definitely on our call list!

And thanks! I just randomly found this image on Google Image Search, and I fell in love with it.

I think there are 2 or 3 Carmelite monasteries in Wisconsin one which wears a modified habit in Franklin, WI They might want to come. I know Denmark is probably out of the question.