An Old School Catholic Message Board

the seven habits

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Generally speaking you CAN judge a community by their habits. I concede that there are exceptions, e.g. the consecrated women of Regnum Christi, but it is a pretty reliable barometer in my experience. Not full proof, but reliable.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' date='Jan 28 2006, 05:06 PM']:o
maybe i'm the only one who feels this way, but I know alot of non-habitted religous, and they are all very good Catholics and religious. Sure a hibit is nice, and I can appreciate the habit in all it's splendid glory, but something is to be said a the same time that their are good religious orders who do not wear habits. The Apostles of interior life don't wear habits, and their growing. We can't judge a religious by the habit.

*Clink,Clink*
($0.02)
Ben
[right][snapback]868782[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

my sociology professor back at pcc, we got into a conversation. She was a practicing catholic, teacher and full time mom of five kids (very catholic to say the least). She of course knew that i was planning on being a priest.

But we got into a conversation, and she was talking about a conversation she got into with someone about habited nuns. There is this strange idea that circulates it seems that all habited nuns are suppressed victims of chauvinism. And so this women was virtually yelling at my professor that nuns who wear habits are practically possessed.

the popular habit we think of, with a veil and tunic, is a medieval type of thing. It was virtually the way that every women dressed, minus the jewels, the bright colors, and the intricate patterns on the clothes. So they dressed in the modern dress of poor simple women.

Nowadays, you have the same issue, womens religious wanting to get back to essentials, where habits weren't an issue.

I do, myself feel inspired when i do see a woman in a habit. I get an immediate sense of a deep inner commitment and love for Jesus, that just does not happen around a non-habited nun. I could connect with either, i am not close minded and condemning of non-habited orders, but i really think that giving up habits is causing a lot more problems in the church than people concieve.

SHALOM

Laurentina1975

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Jan 19 2006, 05:03 AM']Rock on...
[right][snapback]860782[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What Parish? You in Joliet?...I used to live there before Chi-town...Rock on...Lauren

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Jan 31 2006, 06:56 PM']What Parish?  You in Joliet?...I used to live there before Chi-town...Rock on...Lauren
[right][snapback]871431[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
My Parish at home is in the Rockford Diocese... St. Margaret Mary's
School, I am in Elmhurst, so I usually go to Visitation...
So you are actually in Chicago and not from a suburb?

Laurentina1975

Yeah I grew up in Homer Glen and live in the city now. I used to live in Elmhurst for one year! I love their new library and I had a friend at Elmhurst College, but she graduated. Elmhurst is fun! I like that sushi place over on Lake street by the theatre... :D:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Jan 31 2006, 08:31 PM']Yeah I grew up in Homer Glen and live in the city now.  I used to live in Elmhurst for one year!  I love their new library and I had a friend at Elmhurst College, but she graduated.  Elmhurst is fun!  I like that sushi place over on Lake street by the theatre... :D:
[right][snapback]871529[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ha ha... funny you should mention Elmhurst College... I rather dislike the place. Lovely town though... A little bit on the 'shaky side' with some things, but a lot I get about the town is from EC... I've never been to the Sushi Nest, but I think this is enough hi-jacking of this thread :D:

Laurentina1975

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Jan 31 2006, 08:39 PM']Ha ha...  funny you should mention Elmhurst College...  I rather dislike the place.  Lovely town though...  A little bit on the 'shaky side' with some things, but a lot I get about the town is from EC...  I've never been to the Sushi Nest, but I think this is enough hi-jacking of this thread :D:
[right][snapback]871541[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

OK! God Bless Ya! :D: