An Old School Catholic Message Board

any one else

photosynthesis

photosynthesis

anyone else have no idea what their vocation is? I'm not talking about those who have leanings towards one vocation but are not 100% sure, I'm talking about people who are 0% sure of anything.

Well, I don't. I mean, most of the time I feel very drawn to marriage but I don't trust myself to actually know what I'm doing. Sometimes I feel a tiny bit of desire for religious life, but not much. and single life really isn't so bad.

Sometimes I feel that God is giving me the silent treatment and not showing me what my vocation is. I try to listen, but either he doesn't want me worrying about this now or I'm not listening hard enough.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jan 17 2006, 10:59 PM']Sometimes I feel that God is giving me the silent treatment and not showing me what my vocation is.  I try to listen, but either he doesn't want me worrying about this now or I'm not listening hard enough.
[right][snapback]859429[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
At moments like this (which appear to be frequent), I do a few things:

1) vent to my spiritual director, who (appropriately) laughs at me and tells me to relax :topsy:
2) take a deep breath and [b]THANK GOD[/b] I am only 22 (;)) and don't have to make any major life decisions.

Prayers, photo... prayers for certainty and wisdom. :grouphug:

Claire, would you be able to email him or something? Because good spiritual directors (as you very well know) are so hard to find! I had one, but he wasn't too helpful (and we just did not get along, lol.) However, I have had bits of wisdom from a couple of different priests recently.......

I prayed for a wise spiritual director to turn up, and maybe possibly I will have a new one!! (please God!) - and I'll find out soon....please pray for him!

About the 100% uncertainty. Well, I would ask for a grace in prayer. Ask that He will either send mr right into your life (and that you will be given peace about it - I don't want to intrude here, but perhaps you could ask for Peters intercession?) OR that Jesus Himself will show you more deeply, the depths of His Divine Love.

From personal experience, I just asked Him to show me Divine Love, and I'm still waiting, but I have been given a sense of peace about it. He holds me in His Hand. He loves me, and He will only give me what I can handle (no matter how incapable I feel!!) He only wants what is best for you - and in His time, you will know. :D:

Anyway, you know you always have my prayers ;)

Edited by memtherose

I felt like that for a long time (all through college basically). I guess my way of looking at it was that whatever my vocation is, God isn't going to hide it from me and make me seach high and low throughout the milllions of possibilities in the world to find the ONE thing He has called me to. He's going to lead me to it, and when He does it will eventually be apparent that that is what He wants me to do with my life.

I suppose the journey is different for everyone, and some are more actively searching, but for me, I've always been content knowing that God will give me a nudge in the right direction when necessary, I just have to be faithful to His inspirations.

Be at peace, God will let you know when it's time!

Your not the only one. I have no idea what I'm doing. Sometimes I think to myself, what will I be doing in five years?, I have to ask because I honestly don't know.

The only good thing is the thought that there are only three vocations and I am called to one of them. Someday I'll know.

It is really difficult to find a SD...I was looking for a couple of years for someone whom is Orthodox and supports vocations not only to the priesthood but religious life. I know their is a good book about spiritual direction which was on EWTN but I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

I'm in the process of contacting my diocese's Vocation Committee. But I know how you feel. Sometimes I feel so pulled in every direction, I want to be a priest, a teacher, a social worker, a missionary. I have no idea. But I always pray that I may do God's will, but God will allow us to do his will because well he's God. And whatever you do, as long as you do it for the greater glory of God and his Church, you are doing his will. Even if your job is a janitor at a public school if you offer up your work so that his will may be done, his will WILL be done.

Guest Rick777

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Jan 22 2006, 06:54 PM']Ya, I havent had a spiritual director for a lloonnggg time!
[right][snapback]863580[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

When asking a priest to be your spiritual director do you just go up to him and ask :idontknow: . I need a SD but I dont wanna be to, idk, upfront i guess.