An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monastery Icons

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i don't know. but apparently they are "Demonic"

can anyone validate the article from the orthodox website I posted?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Hmmm... I've e-mailed them. Looking around the net, it appears people are talking about this particular site. All the info seems to be coming from that Orthodox site though (which I do not think is credible). Monastery Icons is based in Ohio... Does not make sense. I have some of their icons in my room...

Birgitta Noel

Yeah, it would be nice to get to the bottom of this as I know folks who have some from them as well. Come to think of it I think I have one here too.... :detective:

thanks for emailing them the dude. please tell us what they say. My church bookshop sells these icons, and the greek Catholic church i went to has many that they venerate. what I think is weird is that it is an orthodox monastary but they write Icons of catholic saints.

Sam

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I will definately post what they say, if they say anything.

If you look at the website, you'd never think anything of it. They send catalogs to my house and stuff. Very professional looking...

This would be highly disturbing if it is true.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Somebody on the CA forum seems to think the old Monastery Icons people are no longer running that website and that it was bought out my I guess you would say "normal" people. I'll probably get an e-mail soon.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jan 21 2006, 10:39 PM']i don't know. but apparently they are "Demonic"

can anyone validate the article from the orthodox website I posted?
[right][snapback]862987[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Here;s my guess. In the east when Icons are written, its beauty is not based just on its accuracy, but the person's prayer life. Ideally, but not always practiced, an iconographer needs to have a healthy spiritual life. This is because icons are Logos and representations of it. This is why an iconographer writes and doesn't paint. He is writing scripture. Thus, if someone has bad theology or prayer life, then they have a poor icon, even if it looks beautiful. I think that's what the article is hinting at.

That said, personally I don't have so much trouble buying the icons. I guess it depends on whether you feel culpable on supporting such, or any for that matter, organization.

I bought a beautiful icon from the Terre Haute Carmelite nuns. The selection isn't huge, but they do create icons of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, John of the Cross, Vladimir Mother of God, Prophet Elijah, Lord of All Unity, St. Therese of Lisieux, and St. Anthony of Padua. They're just beautiful!

[url="http://www.heartsawake.com"]http://www.heartsawake.com[/url]

What type of icon are you looking for and of what size? My bookstore at my church has cheap icons and if it's not too general I can see if I can locate it.

Our lady of perpetual hope, and a cruxifiction scene. im really only browsing because im broke :D:

this is from there site.

does anyone know anything about the Sacred Arts Foundation?

:

About Monastery Icons

Sacred Arts Foundation is pleased to announce its acquisition of the Monastery Icons collection of sacred art ­ a unique, modern testimony to the timeless ancient, classical tradition of Christian iconography. These "Windows Into Heaven" with their bright, rich colors and English text are treasured in thousands of churches, schools and homes throughout North America.

Our broad selection of sacred and liturgical arts includes holy gifts for every occasion, church banners, sacred art to commemorate your special events, and Monastery Incense, the most popular liturgical incense in America. This unique incense formula was created as an alternative to the mediocre incense that has been at the heart of so many parishes' "incense problem." And we are glad to say that according to our customers, Monastery Incense has solved the problem!

Sacred Arts Foundation is a non-profit foundation created to strengthen faith and encourage Christian devotion in churches, schools, and individuals through a ministry of traditional Christian art. As the contemporary iconographer Photios Kontoglou expressed so well, "Icons raise the soul and mind to the realm of the spirit."

We thank you for offering us the opportunity to share with you the inspiring beauty of sacred icons, and through our art and incense to contribute to the spiritual life of your parish and home.