An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is it innapropriate to dance during Lent?

God Conquers

Well, is it?

Does it interfere with Lent's solemn nature?

What about if something important is being celebrated?

What about feast days?

Merci beaucoups tous le monde!!!

Personally, yes, I would say it is inappropriate. Lent is supposed to be a solemn nature where we purge ourselves and concentrate even more on out spiritual lives. Now, if something important is being celebrated, I guess you'd need to be more specfic. Like if it's a wedding, or prom, I'd say that's fine. Ask your spiritual father.
Feast days? Sure. Vodka, anyone?

photosynthesis

In lent, Catholics should be doing [i]something[/i] that is a sacrifice made in union with Christ's. Giving up dancing is a way to do that. However, that is not to say that no one should ever dance during Lent. What if you're a dance major, or a professional dancer?

There are a lot of ways to offer it up. If you feel called to give up dancing and partying, then that is good. Personally, I don't dance so giving it up wouldn't be a big deal for me.

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Jan 25 2006, 09:09 PM']Well, is it?

Does it interfere with Lent's solemn nature?

What about if something important is being celebrated?

What about feast days?

Merci beaucoups tous le monde!!!
[right][snapback]866086[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think your question really boils down to this: Should we have fun at all during Lent? I don't think being morose all Lent is healthy, much less appropriate. You need to have a break from the solemnity every now and again or else you'll drive yourself nuts. [b]As long as there is a spirit of sacrifice and preparation for the coming of Holy Week, I think that dancing every once in a while is ok.[/b] I plan on taking a swing dancing class that will carry on into Lent. If your days feel no different than Ordinary Time, then that IS a problem. Lent is sort of like a spiritual winter. Most days are cloudy and cold, and you have to trudge along in the snow uphill both ways. However, there is the occasional bright and clear day that will remind you that spring will return.

I believe it is ok to say alleluia outside of the liturgy. And so dancing outside of the liturgy would be ok as well. That is if alleluia and dancing are both done in a good context.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jan 26 2006, 12:15 AM']In lent, Catholics should be doing [i]something[/i] that is a sacrifice made in union with Christ's.  [right][snapback]866308[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What if you hate to dance? Would it be as acceptable?

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Jan 26 2006, 08:20 AM']What if you're dancing with geese? Is that OK?
[right][snapback]866484[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

How do you dance with geese.

[quote name='Mrvoll' date='Jan 26 2006, 10:23 AM']What if you hate to dance? Would it be as acceptable?
[right][snapback]866487[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
If you hate to dance, maybe dancing IS a sacrifice for you ... :idontknow:

[quote name='Mrvoll' date='Jan 26 2006, 10:23 AM']How do you dance with geese.
[right][snapback]866488[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't know, but if anyone does it's Theoketos.