An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is it innapropriate to dance during Lent?

God Conquers

Generally, we're supposed to avoid parties, celebrations, and the like during Lent.

(That was the whole reason behind Mardi Gras and Carnival - getting that stuff done with, because there would be none of it during Lent.)

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Jan 29 2006, 03:01 PM']What about going on a junior class trip during Lent?
[right][snapback]869344[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
What about it? It shouldn't be a problem and one should never forsake charity for legalism.

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Jan 25 2006, 10:09 PM']Well, is it?

Does it interfere with Lent's solemn nature?

What about if something important is being celebrated?

What about feast days?

Merci beaucoups tous le monde!!!
[right][snapback]866086[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Great to see you back, Matt!

I probably wouldn't recommend going out dancing every night in Lent, but I don't think it would be a bad thing to have a dance. But I think it would be better to hold it on a Saturday or another day other than Friday.

Also, I need to correct you on your French. It's supposed to be "Merci beaucoup tout le monde!!!"

peacenluvbaby

If we ban dances maybe we should go back to the old days when no meat at all, any day during Lent. No dancing, no sex for people married to each other, even laughing and merrymaking was very frowned upon.

Seriously, I think that Lent is about reflection and such, but that does not preclude fun, dancing, dating, eating nice food...etc.

Think of Philip Neri, patron of comedians, he was famous for making people laugh and have a good time.

Peace out! :hippie:

Seriously, I think this is something more appropriate for one's spiritual director. Although, one should not be miserble during the Lents, one should have a solomn attitude.

Yes, because Lent is a time of preparation for the Passion and Resurrection of our Lord. An air of solemnity is encouraged, particularly by giving up various things.

I don't think it's wrong to dance in Lent (I did for years, when I did ballet.) but I think it depends on what sort of dancing, whether its just like going clubbing, or if one needs to in order to keep up at the level they need to maintain...

Don't know I made I made make sense lol. :blush:

[quote name='peacenluvbaby' date='Feb 2 2006, 06:16 AM']If we ban dances maybe we should go back to the old days when no meat at all, any day during Lent.  No dancing, no sex for people married to each other, even laughing and merrymaking was very frowned upon.

Seriously, I think that Lent is about reflection and such, but that does not preclude fun, dancing, dating, eating nice food...etc.

Think of Philip Neri, patron of comedians, he was famous for making people laugh and have a good time.

Peace out! :hippie:
[right][snapback]872747[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
And I'm sure St. Philip Neri faithfully observed Lent, as did all saints.

The Church has taught the importance of fasting and penance for 2000 years. She knows what She is doing.
We are called to share in Christ's sacrifice by making voluntary sacrifices and penances.

This helps us share in Christ's redemptive sacrifice, so we will later share in His glory. Also, it helps train and discipline the will, so that we are able to better resist sin. If we can not even temporarily say no to legitimate pleasures, how will we ever be able to resist the much stronger temptations to sin?

We moderns are addicted to pleasure, and have become incredibly soft and weak. People now are unwilling to make even the slightest sacrifices for a spiritual purpose. That is a shame.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Socrates' date='Feb 2 2006, 07:27 PM']We moderns are addicted to pleasure, and have become incredibly soft and weak.
[right][snapback]873566[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Even Socrates is a modern? what is the world coming to?

photosynthesis

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Feb 1 2006, 11:50 PM']I think the more pressing question is this:

"If I'm observing the Lenten fast, can I drink beer on St. Patrick's Day?"
[right][snapback]872601[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
depends on if you've decided to give up beer.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Feb 2 2006, 11:43 PM']depends on if you've decided to give up beer.
[right][snapback]873986[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
haHA. I surely have not. However, I am observing the Lenten fast every day except Sunday, and going vegetarian for 40 days...such a penance may kill me. I shall need beer.

photosynthesis

wow... just stay away from the fake "vegan coagulated milk." That stuff is nasty.

I'm on Weight Watchers... so i've already had to give up a lot of stuff that I like.... not sure what I'll give up for Lent.