An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dropping Out/GED

Tink

God the Father

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jan 26 2006, 10:33 AM']I say drop out of school completely. Forget college. Education is way overrated.
[right][snapback]866538[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

QFT. Be like that dude in My Side of the Mountain and get back to nature. All you really need to know is how to train a falcon.

[quote name='God the Father' date='Jan 26 2006, 03:22 PM']QFT. Be like that dude in My Side of the Mountain and get back to nature. All you really need to know is how to train a falcon.
[right][snapback]866732[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I have fantasies every so often of living like that.

Then I realize how much I like running water and central heat.

[color=#ff0066]Yeah, I definitely know I won't get my GED or drop out or anything of the sort, but GOSH it seems so endless sometimes... I blame it on the seasons and lack of light, personally....[/color] <_<

littleflower+JMJ

can you graduate a year early? even if its a summer than everyone else. but really, i say enjoy it and make the best of it. use this time wisely to become an expert in all the things you want to be in....because after high school there is no more "i have no responsiblities" but college loans and classes or working for bills to get paid.

I could have finished high school early since I wasn't learning much anyway but I stayed in school because of the college credit things they offered and ended up graduating from high school with 30 college hours under my belt, all free and paid for....and it was worth it every second of it because now I'm a senior ready to graduate after being in college for 3 years....

Find ways to challenge yourself, start applying for scholarships now--LORD knows those things take years to find and complete. If you start now your set for college. Join a bunch of groups and volunteer to network, makes your resume look good and you learn sooo much from all thedifferent places.

I wish when I was in high school I applied myself more. I had time to volunteer my weekends at the children's hospital, visit nursing homes or even learn all the programs i'm trying to learn now while going to college fullt-time instead of picking it up sooner. Now I really want to do these things and i can't--I have no time.

Use high school to get ahead of the game.......they give you plenty of time to do that i know. lol If i could get back my time I would have learned the piano, trumpet, violin, guitar, do pottery, art, speak different langages and dance lol. now i'm an old goon and can't do much anymore........your young...go do somethign! lol

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Tink' date='Jan 26 2006, 06:58 PM'][color=#ff0066]Yeah, I definitely know I won't get my GED or drop out or anything of the sort, but GOSH it seems so endless sometimes... I blame it on the seasons and lack of light, personally....[/color]  <_<
[right][snapback]866945[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I understand completely. I have always been a few years ahead of my peers on the emotional track (in high school, I longed for college, now, I long for a family, etc.)...some of us have to wait it out, but you'll find yourself better prepared for it. :)

Being in high school is like nearly drowning in two inches of water. It feels like you're going to die, but when you look back, you realize that your emotions were out of proportion to your situation. Everyone's been through it, was riddled with angst & insecurities, and thought it would never end. Then 15 yrs down the road you wonder where the time went.

Don't get impatient. Endure it, enjoy it....whatever. Just stick it out. It's good practice for later.

Guest Rick777

I say you check out homeschooling. It can be really challenging and interesting if you make it that way. I always thought it would be boring but when I started homeschooling I was shocked at how much more I was learning.

photosynthesis

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Jan 26 2006, 01:30 PM']that's true, but the sense I'm getting now as a senior in college is that your B.S. is worth less than it used to be, and to be truly competitive in the field one needs a masters. 

I don't like the fact that so many people go to college, honestly.  We need more factory workers and janitors.
[right][snapback]866622[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
it depends on the field you go in. I remember back in the day I was a sociology major. Then I realized that not only was I bored with sociology, but it also meant I'd have to go to grad school. Yuck! Then I majored in communications and now it's all good.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jan 26 2006, 11:16 PM'] but it also meant I'd have to go to grad school.  Yuck! [right][snapback]867291[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Wow, I want to go to grad school. I have since freshman year of college and thought about before I got to high school. I want at least a Masters degree. Having changed my major and working on a associates degree in a generally non-university equivalent field for the sake medical insurance the year after this, I will be working full time and going to school part time so that I finish my degree at probably a 10th year super senior with at least 268-280 minimum quarter units. I'm thinking I could settle for a masters or two instead of Dr. me or me, PhD. Although that would be inherently cool to hear.

Can you get more high school credits now and finish what you need early? I've heard of some kind of program that someone on another forum who is in Washington is in where she is working on an associates in general education from the local community college for her high school degree. If it's any encouragement, I found the pain of high school at least taught me something of how to appreciate college.
<-horrible senoritis my senior year

ugh. Masters Masters Masters.

How about this! If you want to help make a difference in America go work at a factory. And refuse the benefits and all that. If you don't, the Chinese will/already are/ and are going to be the dominant economy in 40 years...

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Jan 27 2006, 08:08 AM']ugh.  Masters Masters Masters. 
How about this!  If you want to help make a difference in America go work at a factory.  And refuse the benefits and all that.  If you don't, the Chinese will/already are/ and are going to be the dominant economy in 40 years...
[right][snapback]867407[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Ummm

Not likely

Okay, I have my degree, and I have no hs diploma, I was 3 option credits short in high school, but had honors in everything else, and I had no problem getting into university. I was even the Vice President of the Student's Union.

I know it depends on where you are.

I have a big problem with where this thread is going though. People without degrees are just as good as people with degrees. Some people have just chosen different paths in life. A Master's degree is great and all, but if you don't want to do it, or cant' or whatever, you are no less of a person than others that have.

I would like to know where you got your stats also. Somehow I doubt that a degree has dropped in validity to the level of a high school diploma. A degree is hard work, and most of society doesn't have the opportunity to get one, and even less a master's. Yes, you earn more with a degree than without. For exactly that reason. Not everyone has one. But you don't earn any more with a degree and a diploma as you do with just a degree.

I have so much respect for people who can go "all the way" with their education. But there are many reasons people can't, and we can't expect all of society to follow that path. I, personally, would have gone further, but family was a priority to me.

Tink, one last thing, if you think you are bored now, if you decide to drop out of school and try to homeschool yourself, you will regret it. No friends during the day, no job, and not to mention not much motivation to actually pick up yyour books and study (unless you are a really great self-motivator). You will be bored senseless. If you feel you are in the wrong place, look into online schools, or someone suggested to take some uni courses to get the boring ones out of they way. This is a GREAT idea!!!

Tink,

The only way I would suggest dropping out of HS and getting the GED would be if you wanted to start college early (and from Sojourner's remarks, that may not be possible).

Otherwise - and I am saying this to everyone - the Holy Spirit should be prayed to for extra fortitude so that we don't quit so easily over trivial problems in important matters. If we quit easily over minor things like this, how will we be able to withstand the more serious challenges that life will bring us later?

This could be YOU in 5 years.
[quote name='Tink' date='Jan 26 2006, 11:27 AM'][color=#ff0066 ]Salve-

Hokay, so here's the deal. Lately I've been realizing how truly and utterly useless my[/color] [color=blue]job[/color][color=#ff0066 ] is. Although I have tons of friends and fun at times, I seriously [/color][color=blue]bust my hump for a peanuts pay[/color] [color=#ff0066]all day. I wake up dreading another day of dull boring[/color] [color=blue]bosses[/color] [color=#ff0066]and[/color] [color=blue]earning next to[/color] [color=#ff0066]nothing, and go home to find myself swamped with[/color] [color=blue]housework[/color] [color=#ff0066]that I truly don't[/color] [color=blue]have the energy for[/color]. [color=#ff0066]I took the SATs in 7th grade and scored higher than 80-something percent of the seniors that took it that year. :blink: [/color]
[right][snapback]866532[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You think you are bored now,
This will be the definitive statement for the remainder of your life. Thats a wee bit longer than High School.
Who's fault is it that you're bored? You have received such wonderful advice here as to your options. Even if you only have a few months to go, reconsider dropping out.
I had a friend who dropped out 4 months shy of graduation. She's still trying to straighten her mess out.
Another friend who had the highest hopes for her daughter, we all did actually, because she sounded JUST LIKE YOU. But she, the daughter, decided that high school was boring and unstimulating and that she would get her GED and attend college, and.......................................

Yep, she works right beside her mother in the wonderful world of Food Service.

Time for a wake up call.

Edited by Quietfire