An Old School Catholic Message Board

Global Warming is a hoax.

ironmonk

It should be borne in mind that the Holy See it has no special competence in matters of science.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='ironmonk' post='870510' date='Jan 30 2006, 10:13 PM']Please explain to me what bit of difference we are going to make by reducing anything when one volcano releases more than we can in 10,000 years.

30 erupt every year.

After 5 years volcanoes will have released more green house gases and CFC's than we can do in 1,500,000 years. Now, in the last five years volcanoes have released more than we can in 1,500,000 years...

Nothing we do is going to affect it.
God Bless,
ironmonk[/quote]

as for the CFC stuff specifically, that's just plain wrong. i remember that that was what caused the hole in the ozone. that was only stopped by nations getting together to stop it.
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion#The_ozone_hole_and_its_c"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depleti..._and_its_causes[/url]

the volcano stuff generally has already been addressed in recent posts.

this would be a good time for someone, somewhere to make concesstions. i'm not holding my breath.

i did like that my political swipe was enough to get people to retort,,, and for me to have a chance to show the flaws and inadequacey of their thinking/examination. otherwise, they would have walked away in error without me there to correct them..... tehe

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

dominicansoul

Bear in mind that what we witness happening to the earth, is creation's outcry for the abominable sins that are committed daily....

...our sins are such that even all of nature is crying out to God...

Whether Global Warming is true, or false....it isn't the scientists who will deliver us from the destruction of the earth...

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1598841' date='Jul 13 2008, 12:46 AM']It should be borne in mind that the Holy See it has no special competence in matters of science.[/quote]

[left]There are people with "special competence in matters of science" who say that global warning is a hoax, and there are other people with "special competence in matters of science" who say it's a reality. Both can't be true. This means that if you want to know where the truth is, it's not enough to refer to "special competence in matters of science": you have to trust some kind of people who, unlike at least [u]one[/u] group of people with "special competence in matters of science", are politically and economically independent and who do not serve particular interests (i.e. that of certain governments or certain multinational companies) AND who have the ability to critically analyze scientific reports in order to discern how objective they are. This is the case of the Holy See; therefore we can trust their judgment. However, independence is not the only reason. Because of their particular position in the world and at the UN, they have to be very careful not to say just anything: they would loose their credibility and, on a long term, might even risk their special status at the UN.
Third, it should be borne in mind hat the Holy See can count on the Pontifical Academy of Science, a group of very competent scientists, and one of their disciplines is "Earth and Environment Sciences" ([url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_academies/acdscien/own/documents/rc_pa_acdscien_doc_10111999_disciplines_n.html"]click here[/url]). [/left]
[left]So, there are at least three reasons to trust the judgment of the Holy See in this issue and to conclude that global warming is a real danger for the future of our planet.[/left]
[font="Times New Roman"][size=3] [/size][/font]

[left][font="Times New Roman"][size=3]
[/size][/font] [/left]

Regards,

Fr. Bruno

[quote name='Fr. Bruno' post='1599226' date='Jul 13 2008, 01:12 PM']There are people with "special competence in matters of science" who say that global warning is a hoax, and there are other people with "special competence in matters of science" who say it's a reality. . . .[/quote]
Yeah, and my point stands, dogma has no place in science, and -- as a consequence -- the Vatican is not competetant to determine who is right in this dispute.

[quote name='Fr. Bruno' post='1599226' date='Jul 13 2008, 01:12 PM']Third, it should be borne in mind hat the Holy See can count on the Pontifical Academy of Science, a group of very competent scientists, and one of their disciplines is "Earth and Environment Sciences"[/quote]
The opinions of the scientists who belong to the Pontifical Academy of Science are no more valid than the opinions of the scientists who disagree with them on global warming.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Fr. Bruno' post='1599226' date='Jul 13 2008, 01:12 PM']So, there are at least three reasons to trust the judgment of the Holy See in this issue and to conclude that global warming is a real danger for the future of our planet.[/quote]
I see no reason to trust the Holy See on this matter. The Church has no special competence to speak on matters of scientific observation and the subjective opinions formed from the available "evidence."

Kirisutodo333

[quote name='Fr. Bruno' post='1599226' date='Jul 13 2008, 04:12 PM'][left]There are people with "special competence in matters of science" who say that global warning is a hoax, and there are other people with "special competence in matters of science" who say it's a reality. Both can't be true. This means that if you want to know where the truth is, it's not enough to refer to "special competence in matters of science": you have to trust some kind of people who, unlike at least [u]one[/u] group of people with "special competence in matters of science", are politically and economically independent and who do not serve particular interests (i.e. that of certain governments or certain multinational companies) AND who have the ability to critically analyze scientific reports in order to discern how objective they are. This is the case of the Holy See; therefore we can trust their judgment. However, independence is not the only reason. Because of their particular position in the world and at the UN, they have to be very careful not to say just anything: they would loose their credibility and, on a long term, might even risk their special status at the UN.
Third, it should be borne in mind hat the Holy See can count on the Pontifical Academy of Science, a group of very competent scientists, and one of their disciplines is "Earth and Environment Sciences" ([url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_academies/acdscien/own/documents/rc_pa_acdscien_doc_10111999_disciplines_.html"]click here[/url]). [/left]
[left]So, there are at least three reasons to trust the judgment of the Holy See in this issue and to conclude that global warming is a real danger for the future of our planet.[/left]
[font="Times New Roman"][size=3] [/size][/font]

[left][font="Times New Roman"][size=3]
[/size][/font] [/left]

Regards,

Fr. Bruno[/quote]

[quote]There are people with "special competence in matters of science" who say that global warning is a hoax, and there are other people with "special competence in matters of science" who say it's a reality. Both can't be true.[/quote]

And there are people with "special competence in matters of science" who say that global warming is real just like it was real throughout the history of the Earth and man is not the cause of it. Environmental conservation should always be a great goal of society but the "modern man" must be brought out of their disillusionment that they have power and control over everything in this world, including life and the climate of the Earth. "I am the modern man and I can change the climate of the earth!" Umm...no, you're a bit more insignificant than that.

And I do agree that the Holy See can definitely have a group of competent scientists at their disposal. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Peace

Kiris

:teach:
Man Made Global Warming is STILL a Hoax.[list]
[*]Ice caps in the North have been melting and reforming over and over for many years.
[*]Ice in the south is growing
[*]Al Gore's movie is a lie as it leaves out many many facts about historical weather
[*]The IPCC is politically motivated and many more scientists disagree with their lies
[*]The IPCC has very questionable members
[*]The fact that Al Gore's movie ignores the Sun speaks volumes
[*]The fact that Mars has an ice cap that was melting SPEAKS VOLUMES
[*]A nice collection of articles that show mainstream media is extremely bias: [url="http://schnittshow.newsradio610.com/globalwarming.html"]http://schnittshow.newsradio610.com/globalwarming.html[/url]
[*]The average temp is now cooling and has been for the last TWO years
[*]The fact that a single volcano release more "green house" gas and CFC's than we can do in 10,000 years speaks volumes
[*]Average of 30 volcanoes go off each year
[*]They have only been keep accurate scientific temp records for about a hundred years
[/list][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzSzItt6h-s"]The Great Global Swindle[/url]

The same people crying global warming this year were the same people crying ice age in the 70's and 80's.

There is no unnatural global warming. The sun regulates our temp, not the gas in the air. People who want to cry about that little test someone did in a box and called CO2 a green house gas fail to realize the earth is not a little box and his proportion of CO2 was many times what it is in our atmosphere not to mention that glass/plastic are not materials in our atmosphere. Only people who are looking for government grants to "test global warming theories on rabbits" and people who do not have scientific and logical minds would believe this hoax.

The media lies. Al Gore lies. IPCC lies.

Calling anyone spewing this hoax a "scientist" is laughable. There should be an IQ requirement to be called a scientist because there are many "scientists" who have to have a below average IQ because it does not take much study to see what a hoax "man made global warming" is.

God Bless,
ironmonk Edited by ironmonk

dairygirl4u2c

maybe there should be an iq requirement before posting on this website.
eventually... continuing to beleive there's nothing to worry about regarding global warming, is simply stupid.

fortunately all the study one has to do to see the misinformation iron has given, is read my last few posts. the CFC and volcano stuff, the solar flares stuff,,,, has all been taken care of. (even if 30 volcanos went off each year, as i said... consider how much LA alone puts out, plus all the smoke stacks etc)
he's never addressed any of it. but chooses to wallow in his own ignorance and lack of logic.

dairygirl4u2c

we caused a hole in the ozone. it was getting bigger. we had to get together to stop it.
there's almost twice the CO2 out there as there has ever been
the ice cores show CO2 changes from man.
man can have an effect on this stuff. it's entirely possibly is all i'm saying at a minimum.

40% of the ice melted, in the last forty years. ten percent per decade. when it's had hundreds or thousands of years. pretty big coincidence it coincides with man's activity, when the rate is so fast. to brush it off is bad judgment.
we can be increasing naturally in temperature, but that doesn't mean we can't exacerbate the situation.
i'm trying to stress the rate... rate means melt per time,,, how much ice melts in a certain amount of time. there's a higher rate here, which means, there's a lot of it melting in a set amount of time, more than usual. a lot more.
maybe spelling it out would help some of these people, who have trouble grasping these basic concepts.
who insist we there is nothing to worry about.
not that we shouldn't be cautious, and not that it's not be proven as fact, mmgw. but.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

probably one of my favorite logical fallacies from monk. saying that it's all natural, why we're increasing.... and then showing evidence that we're in fact decreasing in temperature. which is it?

(if not blantant illogical.... if we're generally increasing, then that doesn't mean we don't decrease once in awhile. so what's the point of notinga couple years decrease, when we're generally increasing? beats me. we are in fact increasing sooo.)

(plus, if he's not trying to say that it's warming and then saying it's getting colder. natural variation doesn't stop, even if we were in fact having a significant effect. the variation is simply at a higher temperature given our added effect.)

i'm not sure what his ultimate point was i suppose. but whatever the case, it made absolutely no sense.

something tells me that these antimmgwing people are sitting, waiting for us to be proven wrong. but, even if we were eventually, it doesn't mean the evidence was unsupportive. there was corrobration to the position, and a reasonable man could only conclude there was a signifianct chance we were contirbuting.
so, don't take solace in hopes that you might be proven right some day. you are wrong now to draw the conclustions that you are, no matter what happens.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Galloglasses

While I tend to side with the Global-Warming-is-a-hoax crowd, I have to wonder.

Why the hell does the topic of global warming touch so many raw nerves?

Edited by Galloglasses

[quote name='Galloglasses' post='1599816' date='Jul 14 2008, 09:04 AM']While I tend to side with the Global-Warming-is-a-hoax crowd, I have to wonder.

Why the hell does the topic of global warming touch so many raw nerves?[/quote]

Well, for the environmentalists and others who believe in it, it touches raw nerves because they think the world's gonna explode or sumthin.

For the rest of us it touches raw nerves because (mostly liberal) people try to legislate dumb things. Like what kind of light bulb is legal to use. Real bill. It's just another way to control people's lives.

Kirisutodo333

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1599822' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:18 AM']Well, for the environmentalists and others who believe in it, it touches raw nerves because they think the world's gonna explode or sumthin.

For the rest of us it touches raw nerves because (mostly liberal) people try to legislate dumb things. Like what kind of light bulb is legal to use. Real bill. It's just another way to control people's lives.[/quote]

[quote]For the rest of us it touches raw nerves because (mostly liberal) people try to legislate dumb things. Like what kind of light bulb is legal to use. Real bill. [b]It's just another way to control people's lives[/b].[/quote]

True that. It's another channel of fear. The right use the fear of terrorism. The left use the fear of global warming. And then both attack each other of fear mongering. Yes, I agree that both issues have merit, but not to the degree of what people on the right and left make it out to be. I'm afraid that after the elections this November, whoever wins, Fear will ultimately be the true victor.

Peace

Kiris