An Old School Catholic Message Board

predestination

theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

At any time, I can choose heaven or hell, but God knew before time began what decision I would make. I am completely and utterly free, but I am in the palm of His Hand. Life is like that. I rule my destiny, but it's an obstacle course. Meh.

theculturewarrior

The way I see it, yes, our actions have consequences that could be a kind of obstacle course, but the actions of other have consequences that we have to live with, and all of this is in God's hand and there is Divine Intervention and Divine Actions that have consequences that affect the obstacle courses of our lives.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Feb 2 2006, 09:24 PM']The way I see it, yes, our actions have consequences that could be a kind of obstacle course, but the actions of other have consequences that we have to live with, and all of this is in God's hand and there is Divine Intervention and Divine Actions that have consequences that affect the obstacle courses of our lives.
[right][snapback]873792[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, the actions of others impact us also, certainly.

photosynthesis

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Feb 2 2006, 09:24 PM']The way I see it, yes, our actions have consequences that could be a kind of obstacle course, but the actions of other have consequences that we have to live with, and all of this is in God's hand and there is Divine Intervention and Divine Actions that have consequences that affect the obstacle courses of our lives.
[right][snapback]873792[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
When we try to know everything, it takes all the joy out of life. Sometimes, you just have to live with a little mystery.

That being said, predestination rocks, at least the way St. Thomas Aquinas describes it.

• 1 year later...

We are not predestined for anything. God knows the "future" not because He is some sort of psychic, but because he is outside of time. Our future is not decided until we make decisions about it.

yea, I just dont buy it...

but that is for another thread.

To know makes it determined(*unless you are saying he knows options) to have self-causation in respect to free will and the soteriological responsability of our action then the outcome is not determined until we have determined in our part to its outcome.

/rant.