An Old School Catholic Message Board

predestination

theculturewarrior

Well, I think that what God can understand is greater than what we can.

If we are predestined, then there is no free will. period.

God's greatest gift to man was freewill.

Therefore we can not have predestination.

God may be able to see a big picture of every outcome to every possible decision, I don't know.

Perhaps certain events are predestined.

But certainly our souls are not.

Edited by prose

I think this is quite a hard topic, but I like to just make an anology.

I see God as an old Math teacher, who has been teaching the subject for quite some time and has a true love for his profession.

We are his pupils.

Now, when the teacher assigns a problem, he knows the correct answer and he also knows all the wrong ways we can go about solving the answer. He knows right off the bat if I'm going to do it correctly, incorrectly, or whatever ever attempt I shall make it at because he's just that good at his job.

The teacher will be there watching over our shoulder as we do the problem, but he is not going to lean in and go "let me do this" and just do all the work for you, even though he knows how to do the problem and how to get the right answer. Instead, he will let us work it through ourselves so that we can truly learn how to do the problem and to grasp a greater insight into how it works. Occasionally, as we are busy at work, he might go to the board and jot down a few examples to help us on our way.

Even then he knows how to do the problem, he is not going to do it for us. He is there to offer us aid, but in the end it is a problem we must discover on our own.

I know it's a reach, but I like it.