An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parents of Religious

zunshynn

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Feb 20 2006, 11:19 AM']Speaking of contemplative.cloistered life my mom freaked right out! I had been fully aware eariler in my time that God wanted me to join the Dominican Nuns of Our Lady of the Rosary Monastery in Summit, NJ, I kept on reading a pamphlet by my dear Sister Judith Miryam my mom read it, and she just freaked, "I am soooo glad I read this, there is no way how you are joining a cloistered monastery! You wont be able to show your gifts! And you dont get good contact!"

So its off to the SMME for me, just dont tell Summit guys, I'm saving it til the end.
[right][snapback]892821[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I hope I am not speaking out of turn. But do you feel called to the SMME? They are a fab order, don't get me wrong. That's not the point. I just felt a little. . .sad, when I heard that you didn't enter cloister because of what your mother said. If you really feel called to SMME then God bless you, for of course you are doing His will, which in the end, is the most important thing of all.

:(
Yours in Christ,

Denise

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Feb 20 2006, 12:38 PM']jgirl, where are you entering?  Usually active orders have visits to home.  Just wondering. . .   :)
[right][snapback]892844[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The Sister Servants.

They have really good reasons why: mainly because it can be distracting on home visit--family, friends and things. Not to mention, the community is so small that when people are gone, they are really missed and the work load increases greatly for all the other Sisters. They do go home--they just don't have regularly scheduled visits.

Edited by jgirl

OH! I didn't know they didn't have visits. They are more like cloistered sisters in that respect then. (LOLOL I am at a tire shop getting an alignment, using their computer to write this. . .lol and they are Mormon. Imagine! ;) )

[quote name='jgirl' date='Feb 20 2006, 12:05 PM']That's funny because I was always drawn to the Martyrs because the visiting was really lax compared to some (I'd get home visit every year, and my parents could come to the visiting day every 6 weeks since I live 45 minutes from their motherhouse).
[right][snapback]892758[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, if I remember correctly, once they're professed they get 2 weeks to go home spread out over 3 years and a certain number of days their family can come to the convent to visit.

Yeah, it's 5-5-4 over the three years and then visiting is every six weeks, and if family doesn't come they can call them and friends can visit. The family can take them out touring sometimes. If they don't live near then it's 14 days every three years. They get a few days of home visit during their postulancy, too.

I am so glad to know that there is a special space here for parents of nuns!

Last May, my daughter Marjorie joined the Dominican Nuns in Lockport, Louisiana. Sr. Marjorie was 18 when she entered the Monastery of the Heart of Jesus. I had a hard time visualizing her living the monastic life. Sr. Marjorie has always been a vibrant, happy person. I was concerned that living such a disciplined life would be hard on her or maybe even crush her spirit. I couldn’t have been more wrong! She is thriving in the Dominican life, and is stronger, happier and healthier than I’ve ever seen her. As she explained it to me, everything that she was blessed with by Jesus, she chose to return to Him. I can only thank God for giving Sr. Marjorie what no human could ever offer – her vocation.

The Monastery of the Heart of Jesus reminded me of my childhood days. The nuns there live a life distinctly separate from the secular world. I thought it was incredible how they could do so many things in a day with such efficiency. Coordinating their time “to the minute” to include everything from their beautiful chanting in the chapel, to the meticulous way they run the monastery, to the way we were treated as family during our visit, are perfect displays of love in action.

It would be easy to write endlessly about our visit to Lockport but there just isn’t time…maybe on another day.

God bless you for allowing your daughter to respond with her fiat, her 'yes' to our Lord. May you be richly blessed 100 fold. Please pray that my mother and family also soften their hearts to my yes, so that, as time goes by after my entrance, they will see my thriving, my growing. . .that they might see the reason for my happiness. Again, God bless you abundantly.

May Jesus protect and keep you,

Denise

cmotherofpirl

Thank you for starting this thread :)
To all those who are discerning religious life, send your parents HERE to talk to HAPPY parents of nuns and sisters.
[color=red][b]Their joy is contagious[/b].[/color]

I'm :hijack: ing my own thread, but I thought I'd celebrate because this is the first topic of mine that's ever been pinned and I'm quite proud of it. So :yahoo: !

Back to the topic. :lol: