An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Church Vs. Catholic Community

Dave

I really hate it when a parish is referred to as "St. John's Catholic Community" instead of "St. John's Catholic Church." Anyone else feel the same way?

PyroPenguinX07

I personally think it should be parish because whether catholic gather in a church or a field we are still celebrating God. God doesn't need a fancy church to be worshipped in as long as the people who do it are just. :ascension:

I really hate it when a parish is referred to as "St. John's Catholic Community" instead of "St. John's Catholic Church."  Anyone else feel the same way?

Well, I'm more suspicious than anything, because if they are being "innovative" with their name, what else are they being "innovative" about?

I'll give you a concrete example. There is one parish in the NW suburbs of Chicago (a reasonably affluent area) that calls itself "Faith community of St. _____" (I won't mention the name here). The only time I set foot in that church was for my cousin's daughter's baptism. At the part where the priest asks "What do you desire" and the correct response is "baptism", the priest said, "Don't say baptism, say what you want for it to accomplish for the baby" (or words to that effect).

As I was leaving and read the financial section of the bulletin, I thought to myself "You'd think that a parish that clears $19,000 (or whatever exorbitant figure) weekly could afford kneelers!!".

Kilroy the Ninja

The only Catholic "church" I've ever been to that refered to itself as a "Community" was one of the most heretical places I've ever been to. They had four women representing the stages of women (read the stages of the "Goddess") a girl, a young woman, a middle aged woman, and an older woman (representing a crone), dance around the altar with incense barefoot in white roman-esque dresses.

FOR THE EASTER VIGIL!

I don't think too much of the "community" tag. They're either a Catholic Church or they're not.

It bothers me somewhat. My parish calls itself a "community". We don't really have a defined altar. The tabernacle is in a completely different building. Oh well.

The funny thing is that we recently had to cut our Sunday masses from 3 to 2 due to lack of attendance, yet, the more traditional Church across town is consistently packed.

Maybe it has to do with us not having a priest. I don't know. All I know is that as soon as we get one, I want to sit down and have a meeting with him.

I'd like to be called the Community at Nativity Catholic Church. What bothers me is a Church in Texas without a priest. What's up with that? <_<

I'd suggest recruiting a priest from Buffalo the 3rd week in January.:snowman: And this time, don't hide a pinecone in his bed and get him to try jalapeno's or okra. :freak:

hyperdulia again

okra is soooooo good...has to be breaded and deep-fried in some type of animal fat tho'.

*wonders why heart disease rate is so high in alabama*

And to think that I've been complaining over "oddities" in my DIOCESE!

WOW! I forget who, (my memory is good for about two seconds and then "poof!") said that they had women dancing around in various stages of their ages.......disgusting!!!

Who are they worshiping....God the FATHER or "Woman-goddess" which doesn't exist???!!!!!!?????? :angry::(:angry: :sadder: :angry:

This is downright blasphemous. I'm having similiar problems out here. I don't have these problems in my church but they can be found at St. Francis of Assisi Church in SAcramento........I don't care if they wanna sue me. Heretical/non-liturgical practices are what they are. I call a spade a spade. No playing games.

We are talking about people's souls here!! THIS IS NO GAME!!!

:sweat: whew! It's hard preachin', and I'm not sure I'm the one to be doing it, but thank you and God bless everyone for their patience with me! - Love, Muschi

*wonders why heart disease rate is so high in alabama*

Hey, I live in the land of "Hold on another second, I'm having another heart attack....got a piece of Polish sausage stuck in my aorta...all better now...now back to 'DA BEARS"!!"

What exactly are you calling blasphemous?

Are you getting worked up over something that is essentially nothing more than a rumour told you by someone you don't remember?

Just in case it may be true, we pray. Pay careful attention to the Eucharistic prayers at Mass. We all pray for the Church. That's one of the reasons why we don't get too far off course.

I hate it when my socks bunch up, but I try to keep it perspective...

The only Catholic "church" I've ever been to that refered to itself as a "Community" was one of the most heretical places I've ever been to.  They had four women representing the stages of women (read the stages of the "Goddess") a girl, a young woman, a middle aged woman, and an older woman (representing a crone), dance around the altar with incense barefoot in white roman-esque dresses.

FOR THE EASTER VIGIL!

I don't think too much of the "community" tag.  They're either a Catholic Church or they're not.

Are you serious?! Or is this a joke? Although, I fear you are serious. :angry: :(