An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Church Vs. Catholic Community

Dave

Don John of Austria

She's serious. The deacon there was also a panthiest and taught Panthiesm in the RCIA program. this is not hearsay I was there when he did it.

why not go to a diff parish dUSt?

Because my parish is Catholic, and it's closer to my house.... and, how would I help my parish if I left it?

The tabernacle is in another building!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I deon't even know were to begin.

Well, there's sorta a reason, even though I don't agree with the reason. See, my parish is fairly new, and before we built our "main worship space" (the church), we held mass in what is now considered the main hall. At the time, we had a small chapel next to the main hall, and in that small chapel was a place for the tabernacle.

When we got around to building the "main worship space" (the church), we simply left the tabernacle where it was, in the smaller chapel across the courtyard.

There's a lot of things about my parish that kinda bother me, like the altar not being defined--a lot of people literally walk straight across the altar when leaving mass to get out the door. Me and my brother have been trying to set an example when passing the altar by bowing, but so far it's had little affect. haha

All I can do is keep being the best Catholic I can. Can't really worry about stuff like that until I'm in a better position to make some changes. All I can do is continue trying to set an example and hope that it rubs off on a few people around me.

I've never sat down with my deacon to talk about it, so I can't judge without doing that first.

Don John of Austria

Do ya'll genuflect when you come in, I mean what do you genuflect too, Christ isn't in there, He's across the courtyard. I' m speachless.

Don John is correct, you shouldn't bow or genuflect towards the table (alter) you bow towards the tabernacle. I was in a church once and had to bow to the right, I felt rather like a Mohammedian bowing towards Mecca.

Technically, the church you belong to is your diocese. You just happen to worship in your parish. For example, my church is the Arch Diocese of Indianapolis and I worship at St. Mary's parish. A small distinction, but accurate nonetheless.

peace...

Is it prudent, when above all else a soul is to keep the Catholic Faith, to willingly be under the authority of those not anxious to keep that deposit?

Is it prudent, when above all else a soul is to keep the Catholic Faith, to willingly be under the authority of those not anxious to keep that deposit?

It is prudent to help make a change in a parish instead of abandoning it.

cmotherofpirl

Because my parish is Catholic, and it's closer to my house.... and, how would I help my parish if I left it?

Well, there's sorta a reason, even though I don't agree with the reason. See, my parish is fairly new, and before we built our "main worship space" (the church), we held mass in what is now considered the main hall. At the time, we had a small chapel next to the main hall, and in that small chapel was a place for the tabernacle.

When we got around to building the "main worship space" (the church), we simply left the tabernacle where it was, in the smaller chapel across the courtyard.

There's a lot of things about my parish that kinda bother me, like the altar not being defined--a lot of people literally walk straight across the altar when leaving mass to get out the door. Me and my brother have been trying to set an example when passing the altar by bowing, but so far it's had little affect. haha

All I can do is keep being the best Catholic I can. Can't really worry about stuff like that until I'm in a better position to make some changes. All I can do is continue trying to set an example and hope that it rubs off on a few people around me.

I've never sat down with my deacon to talk about it, so I can't judge without doing that first.

How do you have an "undefined " altar?

Its like saying your a little bit pregnant. ;)

Do ya'll genuflect when you come in, I mean what do you genuflect too, Christ isn't in there, He's across the courtyard. I' m speachless.

Back when I was in college and the new priest at the Newman center rearranged the chapel and moved the tabernacle to a side room, I just made a comment out loud "Where do I genuflect to?". Maybe if enough people at the parish pestered the priest with these types of questions, the parish would think twice before making such decisions.

Guest chasinghim

hey guys

this is my first post and let me start by saying i am not a catholic but I am a follower of Jesus trying to become more like him everyday...and in my opinion the church is the body of people who worship God not the building in which it is done...In other words a the church is a community of believers...so in either case it means the same thing...and it doesnt matter what a building is called just as long as God is worshiped there...

ChasingHim,

Welcome to PhatMass! Hope you take the time to check in on the thread in the Open Mic board.(was that a crazy run-on sentence or what?)

You are mostly correct. However, this discussion has been mostly about important but technical point on where we worship. How we do things is important. We do things for a reason, and those actions have meaning. When we bow towards the Tabernacle we recognize that Jesus is present in what we call "The Real Presence".

Calling a building a "church" is an important disctinction, so that we are proclaiming to people who we are.

peace...

i can make out a altar in that pic.

Even if the turbenacale is not present surley there is something of Eurcharistic presence after mass, right?

Unless the priest finishes and consumes all that is left.

If there is a Eucharistic Presence after Mass then it is right for you to bow.

I think if you had a priest you probably wouldn't have that situation.

It would be better to try and change the situation than to abandon that church.

Looks like you are going to have to pay attention to whats going on just in case things get way out of hand.

Edited by ZmeFly