An Old School Catholic Message Board

What motivates protestants

N/A Gone

[quote name='Light and Truth' date='Feb 24 2006, 06:10 PM']I can't speak for those who have converted, but one of the major things that draws me to it is a sense of a more tangible religion in following Christ.  Maybe the idea that you can believe in something more, like saints the way most Protestants don't.
[right][snapback]897009[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's not a 'sense' of anything. I mean, the Eucharist tastes like a dry, thin piece of bread. I don't know who, but one of the early church father's exclaimed something to the effect of 'oh, how my senses fail me' when he was talking about the physicality of the Eucharist. Christ IS present in the Eucharist, Body, Blood, Heart and Soul. That's what every Christian believed for 1500 years and what Catholics have believed for two milleneia. The Gospels are chock-full of references on the matter...most of which are from Christ's own mouth... The Eucharist IS a miracle Catholics are graced with at every Mass...it requires total abandonment of what our physical senses tell us is real. THAT is real faith...believing in something when every sensibility tell you its not possible. Like believing in the Resurrection.

If Protestants could just get their heads around the Blessed Sacrament...they wouldn't want to be anything but Catholic.

[quote name='Veridicus' date='Feb 27 2006, 12:41 AM']If Protestants could just get their heads around the Blessed Sacrament...they wouldn't want to be anything but Catholic.
[right][snapback]898612[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

...Eastern Orthodox

The Holy Eucharist is important, but it's not the ONLY consideration.

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 26 2006, 11:45 PM']...Eastern Orthodox

[right][snapback]898616[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Touché...but I don't really consider Orthodoxy in the same class as Protestantism...that's just me though. :wacko:

so, i got orders and I wont be back til next week...I really wanna respond to a few of these things

photosynthesis

[quote name='Era Might' date='Feb 27 2006, 12:45 AM']...Eastern Orthodox

[right][snapback]898616[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
yeah... i think it's more along the lines of the fact that the Catholic Church has the fullness of truth. the Eucharist is certainly part of that fullness.

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Feb 24 2006, 01:52 AM']but why should a protestant abandon their faith and convert?
[right][snapback]896418[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No faith is 'abandoned' when being reconciled to the Catholic Church. Faith in a particular denomination or doctrine is abandoned. One's faith is more fullfilled in 'coming home' to Rome. Our 'separated breatheren' have the truth of the trinitarian baptism, but not the fullness of truth. If one says, "I could not abandon my faith, stop my relation with Christ, and restart with Catholicism," he is clearly misguided.
The Vatican II documents describe this very well:

[url="http://www.rc.net/rcchurch/vatican2/"]http://www.rc.net/rcchurch/vatican2/[/url]

Nostra Aetate:
The Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these
religions. She regards with sincere reverence those ways of conduct
and of life, those precepts and teachings which, though differing in
many aspects from the ones she holds and sets forth, nonetheless often
reflect a ray of that Truth which enlightens all men. Indeed, she
proclaims, and ever must proclaim Christ, "the way the truth, and the
life" (John 14, 6), in whom men may find the fullness of religious
life, in whom God has reconciled all things to Himself (4).

and

UNITATIS REDINTEGRATIO
It follows that the separated Churches[23] and Communities as such,
though we believe them to be deficient in some respects, have been by no means deprived of significance and importance in the mystery of
salvation. For the Spirit of Christ has not refrained from using them as
means of salvation which derive their efficacy from the very fullness of
grace and truth entrusted to the Church.

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Mar 7 2006, 10:11 AM']good replies..im finishing my reply now. Just tryin to keep everyone waiting.. :cool:
[right][snapback]905181[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I love how you keep posting to tell us you're going to post ...

Im sorry, I had to go to ft knox for a day, and now our interent doesnnt work in our building.

plus, as a hybrid I want to make sure my statements are proper before posting them on this forum with this sensitive issue