An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lenten Discernment

Charms717RM1

Wow, so last night I went to the introductory meeting for my diocese's vocational discernment program. It was awesome!

We did Eucharistic Adoration for about an hour (always awesome :sign:), got to say the evening prayers from the Liturgy of the Hours, had a lecture/guided discussion and reflection over commom fears and misconceptions about vocations, and had a BBQ dinner with the the Bishop.

Anyways, i got a lot out of it and i can't wait until the second meeting next monday :lol_roll: !

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

That sounds really cool! I wish there was something like that out here... how long do these meetings go for?

Charms717RM1

About 3 hours- 1 of adoration and 2 of lectures, reflection, Q &A, and a social time with supper.

I'm in the Fort Worth Diocese and it only took me about 20 minutes to get to the Cathedral last night. One guy came all the way from Wichita Falls, nearly 3 hours away. That's pretty hardcore right there- driving 3 hours to the Cathedral, spend 3 hours in a discernment program, and 3 hours getting home every monday evening.

That's so beautiful! St. Louisans...we've gotta work on this!! :)

Perhaps this is a dumb question (I'm sleepy, so sorry!), but is this just for lent or is it going to continue afterwards?

Keep us posted on any insights you hear...I know I, for one, would love to hear them!

[quote name='magnificat' date='Feb 28 2006, 09:30 PM']That's so beautiful!  St. Louisans...we've gotta work on this!! :)
[right][snapback]900416[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
We really should! So many of us vocation stationers are from the greatest city on earth.

That sounds really awesome!

[quote name='jgirl' date='Feb 28 2006, 11:08 PM']We really should! So many of us vocation stationers are from the greatest city on earth.

That sounds really awesome!
[right][snapback]900433[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Adoration with the Carmelites on Clayton followed by coffee at Quotations..... we should work this out sometime. Seriously.

Charms717RM1

Well officially our last meeting will be the monday of Holy Week. The diocese will pull all their seminarians out from Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, and Mexico back up here so we can meet them in person and ask them questions and stuff. The vocation director said that after Holy Week we can start the paperwork if we and the diocese are ready or we can continue to meet with them on an indifidual basis. But i suspect that many of us will still get together to help each other out or just hang out or something.

You guys are from St. Louis? That's awesome! My parents are from Florissant- when I was little we always made it a point to go back up there for Easter and spend it with my grandparents. We don't go that often anymore, but i still consider St. Louis my other time- plus i'd root for the Cardinals any day :clap:

Laurentina1975

Any Chicagoans wanna get together for a young adults mass on Sunday nights and coffee afterwards?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Laurentina1975' date='Mar 1 2006, 11:11 AM']Any Chicagoans wanna get together for a young adults mass on Sunday nights and coffee afterwards?
[right][snapback]900759[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:) Where at?

[quote name='shortnun' date='Feb 28 2006, 09:15 PM']Adoration with the Carmelites on Clayton followed by coffee at Quotations..... we should work this out sometime. Seriously.
[right][snapback]900437[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you are all so lucky to have Adoration with the Carmelites. I loved their chapel; when I lived in St Louis, I'd go there a lot.

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 5 2006, 08:51 PM']you are all so lucky to have Adoration with the Carmelites.  I loved their chapel; when I lived in St Louis, I'd go there a lot.
[right][snapback]903779[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I went the other week... it was [i]beautiful[/i]!

For some reason I was just overcome with the peace I felt there. I don't know your experience, but I didn't go at any proper hour, the chapel was darker, and just felt. . .I don't know. . .old and sacred. Even the drive up to the chapel, so full of foliage. . . very nice. LOL Can you tell I've had a lot of Carmelite exposure, so I'm a little biased! :blush: