Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmass and hip-hop -- bad for evangelization?


Recommended Posts

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Donna' date='Mar 6 2006, 03:34 PM']"Anyone who denies this method denies the method of the Incarnation."

My Lord!  Raphael, that's incredible.
[right][snapback]904220[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Is that sarcasm or real? :idontknow: :lol:

Posted

I was talking to a seminarian who helped out on Totus Tuus one year. One of the things they do is have the kids make a human sundae out of one of the people by pour ing chocolate sauce, whipped cream, cherries, etc. on him or her. anyhoo, one of the mothers complained because they were teaching the kids to waste food. The seminarian pointed out that they were doing this not only because it was fun for the kids, but also because they would remember it. Since they would remember it they would also remember that it took place with Totus Tuus and they would hopefully remember some of the things that they were taught.

Posted

i can see the trads complaining if we were going against the teachings of the church, but we are not. There's nothing wrong with becoming all things in Christ. I'm here to sanctify hip-hop, spread the gospel, and Orthodoxy. The Catholic Faith is everything to me. we aint gansta rappers. we dont cuss, we dont blaspheme.

littleflower+JMJ
Posted

[quote name='Akalyte' date='Mar 6 2006, 02:50 PM']i can see the trads complaining if we were going against the teachings of the church, but we are not. There's nothing wrong with becoming all things in Christ. I'm here to sanctify hip-hop, spread the gospel, and Orthodoxy.  The Catholic Faith is everything to me. we aint gansta rappers. we dont cuss, we dont blaspheme.
[right][snapback]904304[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

and mcjust loves puppies.


I just reread my earlier post in this thread and I did NOT mean that they have rap on the same level as gregorian chant, i meant that they bring them into the music of the Church from rap to then recognize and learn the real music the Church upholds ie. gregorian chant, latin etc.

sorry about that I just reread and it sounded soo wrong....I obviously didn't get my point across correctly

blovedwolfofgod
Posted

i suppose that there is a difference between being of the world and simply using it. if there is a medium that people respond to, then use it! Public Relations professionals do that all the time and they are hailed as good pros and get great jobs. I see no reason why the medium of hip hop shouldnt be used. besides, St. Pius X's motto was "To restore all things in Christ." Why not restore hip hop in Christ and Catholicize it!?

Dust's Sister
Posted

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 6 2006, 10:36 AM']We should evangelize on the other person's terms of understanding, not our own... As the Apostle Paul states...

[b]1 Corin. 9:20 [/b]
To the Jews I became like a Jew to win over Jews; to those under the law I became like one under the law--though I myself am not under the law--to win over those under the law.
[b]21 [/b]To those outside the law I became like one outside the law--though I am not outside God's law but within the law of Christ--to win over those outside the law.
[b]22 [/b]To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak. I have become all things to all, to save at least some.
[b]23 [/b]All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it.
God Bless,
ironmonk
[right][snapback]904072[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think this should be somewhere on the front of Phatmass. :D:

Posted

I like hip hop.

Posted

And not just Catholic hip hop.

:disguise:

Posted

And not just religious Hip Hop.

:shock:

Posted
:saint:
littleflower+JMJ
Posted

[quote name='Era Might' date='Mar 6 2006, 04:24 PM']I like hip hop.
[right][snapback]904443[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

and hip-hop likes you! :cool: lol

Posted

Back when I was mainly listening to secular music, my preferred genre was hip hop. I can see it doing tremendous things towards conversions. I believe hip hop and other Catholic music deserves a place in our culture. I just don't like it when musical directors try to insert it into the Mass. (yea yea, I know that's not what anyone is saying here. . .I just wanted to clarify my own opinion) :cool:

Posted

All Hip-hop comes straight from Satan, and all who listen to its jungle beats are forever damned to hell!




















jk :topsy:

At first I thought this was about that silly nonsense from the "fisheaters" folks (for whom I'd say their real beef with Phatmass is that it's loyal to the Pope and doesn't follow their "rad trad" agenda).
But since Dave said these weren't "rad-trads," it might be more helpful if it was explained in more detail what the charges are.
I'm not personally a fan of hip-hop as a genre, but I've got nothing against what the phatmasser rappers are doing - it seems a perfectly legit evangelization tool.
And it's a little hard to characterize rappers like M.C. Just/Akalyte as liberals out to water-down or trivialize the faith!

I'd presume these charges are from those self-righteous types who say that the rythyms of all hip-hop, rock, etc. are intrinsically evil, regardless of the words or message.
It's generally hard to reason with such folks, but it would probably be wisest to challenge them to actually get on phatmass, and aquaint themselves with phatmass and Catholic hip-hop before they jump in with the criticism. The fruits of phatmass hip-hop should be noted - has it actually ever caused anyone to fall away from the Faith, or has it brought people closer to the Faith?

Posted

Raphael: it was sincere and real.
...........................................................

Flowery: you did NOT get it wrong, it was explained perfectly the first time and I was going to comment on the excellent summary 'cept you'd already said it...and then Raphael's Incarnation/method comment just hit me good.

Posted

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 6 2006, 04:42 PM']Back when I was mainly listening to secular music, my preferred genre was hip hop.  I can see it doing tremendous things towards conversions.  I believe hip hop and other Catholic music deserves a place in our culture.  I just don't like it when musical directors try to insert it into the Mass.  (yea yea, I know that's not what anyone is saying here. . .I just wanted to clarify my own opinion)  :cool:
[right][snapback]904464[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hip-hop better not go anywhere near the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. It don't belong there. I'll quit rapping if anyone does try to insert it.

Posted

God bless you for your faith, and may He shower you with graces for your fervent acts of evangelization through music.

KnightofChrist
Posted

[quote name='jezic' date='Mar 6 2006, 11:31 AM']well if people want to sing gregorian chant and distribute albums of it on here, i think it would be well received by Dust and the community.

p.s. i think it would be awesome as well.
[right][snapback]904150[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]


WHy not gregorian chant hip-hop or rap????

That would sound AWESOME!!!! I heard of some rock band called "Vast" singing a song called "I'm dieing" the beat sounded cool...

why doesnt or has a Catholic rapper mixed gregorian chant and hip-hop?

Posted

IMO that would be debasing chant even if I thought it'd sound cool.

Dust's Sister
Posted

[quote name='MC Just' date='Mar 6 2006, 07:21 PM']Hip-hop better not go anywhere near the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. It don't belong there. I'll quit rapping if anyone does try to insert it.
[right][snapback]904686[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree 100%. I would quit rapping too. :saint:

Posted

We do combine hip-hop with Gregorian chant kinda... in the Phatmass Radio (see link on right side of phorum). First, you hear a voice of a lady telling you about the chant with a hip-hop beat playing in the background, but when the actual chant begins, the hip-hop beat completely stops.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...