An Old School Catholic Message Board

Woman Rabbi teaches Relegion at Catholic school

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Captain_Fantastic' post='907870' date='Mar 9 2006, 11:59 PM']In order to understand the child one must understand the parent ;) I think more Christian schools should require a year of Jewish studies.[/quote]

You are an agnostic. It is not your concern what Christian schools do.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1264484' date='May 4 2007, 05:53 PM']You are an agnostic. It is not your concern what Christian schools do.[/quote]Maybe he was being judgmental. :lol_roll:

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]another consern would be wether or not the jewsih teacher would want to convert the students.[/quote]

I don't know whether anyone picked up on this point of EENS, as I don't have time to read the whole thread, but it should be made quite clear that Judaism is not a missionary religion. Jews do not seek to 'convert' anybody. In fact, it is notoriously difficult to become a Jew.

Regarding all the talk of the Talmud, Jews are not required to accept it as a sacred text. It is simply a compilation of commentary on the Torah, not regarded as the word of God.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1264598' date='May 5 2007, 12:33 AM']I don't know whether anyone picked up on this point of EENS, as I don't have time to read the whole thread, but it should be made quite clear that Judaism is not a missionary religion. Jews do not seek to 'convert' anybody. In fact, it is notoriously difficult to become a Jew.[/quote]

That's quite true, at least from what I know. Due to the fact that I was learning Biblical Hebrew during my undergrad years, I was part of the Jewish group on campus, and the Rabbi flat out asked me if I was only there for the food. It's pretty funny looking back.

And I haven't read all of this thread, but I did want to add one thing. The priest who confirmed me, he was the one who ran the confirmation program for kids. He often took his confirmation class to this one synagogue for the Rabbi to speak to them. Every year, the Rabbi would tell the kids what a beautiful religion they had, and if they realized how amazing their belief in the Real Presence was. He actually grew the faith of these kids by showing them the beauty of the Eucharist, even though he himself didn't believe in it. Quite amazing, in my opinion.