An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant Communion

Jake Huether

Jake Huether

A lady on the Baptist board mentioned that her congregation only has "closed" communion, meaning only the Baptists at her congregation can recieve it. Her explenation was that "There is a danger in taking communion unworthily."

My question is: If it is merely symbolic (i.e. just a piece if bread), then what's the danger.

Furthermore, another poster brought up the totally true fact that EVEN members within the congregation might be recieving communion "unworthily". So then, what, to Baptists is "unworthy".

Another thing I caught was that several of them held communion at different intervals (?). Like one lady said they have it every 5th Sunday. Some have it quarterly. Others bi-weekly.

Who determines how often communion is taken? And on what basis?

The Catholic Church recieves communion, necessarily, every Sunday (as was done by the Apostles). In fact, St. Paul makes mention of their weekly "breaking of bread". And the early Church likewise is documented to have held Holy Communion weekly. So, how do Protestants, who are so adiment about literal Scripture interpritations, justify this bi-weekly, or quarterly stuff?

Help me out? I'm confussed. :huh:

As for Protestants celebrating Communion less often than every week, I guess it's because they think familiarity breeds contempt. I wish I had an explanation why they're scared of receiving Communion unworthily when they think it's just symbolic, but I don't. :lol:

The Catholic Church recieves communion, necessarily, every Sunday (as was done by the Apostles).  In fact, St. Paul makes mention of their weekly "breaking of bread".  And the early Church likewise is documented to have held Holy Communion weekly.  So, how do Protestants, who are so adiment about literal Scripture interpritations, justify this bi-weekly, or quarterly stuff?

Help me out?  I'm confussed.  :lol:

The Catholic Church offers Holy Communion to the faithful daily, just to clarify. The faithful are required to receive the Sacraments of Penance and Holy Communion at least once per year.

Pax Christi. <><

Jake Huether

For Catholics it's such a central theme. I mean, Scripturally "The Last Supper" was HUGE! It was the pre-Climax to the Crucifixion! In fact, in context to the Passover, it WAS indeed the Climax, as it INCLUDED the Crucifixion. Yet they only celebrate it twice yearly? I just don't get it. It's hinted at in John 6. It's mentioned in all four Gospels. It is talked about in Pauls letter to the Corinthians.

The Lord Himself said, Luke 22: "15 ...I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer."

And Paul says, 1 Cor. 11:20 "When you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat,..."

Why would Paul pay so close attention to something that was only occuring 2 times a year? In fact, if it was only happening 2 times a year, would there even have been mention of the people getting sick and dying?

It is more than obviouse that it was happening WEEKLY. "When you come together"! This indicates they didn't have a specific "special" meeting time for the Lord's Supper. Rather, on the contrary, EVERY meeting time not only included, but was specifically FOR the Lord's Supper! In other words, the whole purpose for them meeting was to celebrate the Lord's Supper! Scripture reading and hymn singing was SECONDARY.

So if one was to take the Bible literally, as Protestants claim to do, then they should be having communion weekly and reading Scripture and Worshiping 2 times a year. The communion was the whole point of their meetings, as Paul so clearly points out!

Jake Huether

You're right Anna. Actually, I had originally included that in my post, but thought I would stick to the basics (that is, the Catholic Church requires we recieve it weekly). Thanks for pointing that out though.

hyperdulia again

They don't recieve communion. They eat bread and drink grape juice it doesn't matter if they do it every day.

Jake Huether

Oh, to clarify further - I'm not that clear at times -

I don't mean to say that Scripture reading and worship are unimportant. These are very important, and a staple in the life of a Christian. However, I'm limiting my scope to the "meeting" times of the Church.

Paul is saying, when they come to meet together they are supposed to be celebrating the Lord's Supper. That's the purpose of their meeting. Outside of their meeting time, worship and Scirpture reading were of the utmost importance, and a key to their evangilization.

Jake Huether

:lol: True True, Hyper.

I'm stating it as they refer to it, so as not to confuse anyone further than I've already done.

You know what's pretty amazing? Jack Chick claims the "IHS" on the supposed "death cookie" are the inititals of the eygptian trinity or something.

Anyway I know this isn't true. But what's pretty funny is how I went into a store that was "mainly" Protestant and they were selling communion bowls that had the inititals "IHS" on them.

I guess Protestants are evil too. :lol:

Btw, this store was selling some nice rosaries!!! And through-out the entire store, I only found ONE tiny little brochure thing, that was Anti-Catholic.

It was one of the most Catholic-friendly Protestant stores I've seen so far.

You're right Anna.  Actually, I had originally included that in my post, but thought I would stick to the basics (that is, the Catholic Church requires we recieve it weekly).

:( Um, geesh, I hate to be a stickler, but the Catholic Church does not require us to receive Holy Communion weekly.

The faithful (as I stated above) are required to receive Holy Communion at least once per year.

Weekly attendance at Mass is required under penalty of sin, but reception of Holy Communion is not. :)

Pax Christi. <><

Jake Huether

Right again. Sheesh. But what I really meant... LOL... Is that everytime we "meet" on Sunday, the purpose of the "meeting" is the Eucharist, that is, Communion. We aren't required to "recieve" it weekley (which for no other reason is due to the fact that we must be in a state of grace, i.e. worthy to recieve it). But it is offered weekly. And in fact, as you pointed out, it is offered daily. But we are required to be present at Mass weekly, which is that very meeting whose sole purpose is to offer Communion, as those first Apostles did observe.

Yes, the Church serves Her faithful.

The Church is required to offer Holy Communion to the Faithful, and we are required to attend the Mass (where Communion is offered) every Sunday and Holy Day of obligation, yet we're only required to receive that most amesome Gift once a year.

The Church never imposes higher standards on the faithful than she sets for Herself.

Doncha just love being Catholic????

Pax Christi. <><