An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do Sundays Count

MissScripture

Do you count the Sundays in Lent as days that you must continue your promise (i.e. if you gave up pop, do you drink it on Sundays of Lent)?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MissScripture

My friends and I were having a discussion about this. I was raised that you were allowed to do whatever you'd given up or not required to do what you had said you'd do on Sundays, because if you count up the days, the Sundays included, it's more than forty days. Some of my friends, however, can't believe that I don't count Sundays. What do you folks think?

It's up to the person, really. Your sacrifices, apart from fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and abstianance on Fridays, are voluntary, so you decide how to do them.

While we do call Lent "40 days of penance," the official canonical run is from Ash Wednesday to Holy Thursday. And if Sundays in Lent didn't count, we wouldn't leave out the Gloria and the A*****a like we do. But it's also true that Sundays are feast days. So it's your call, really.

Personally, I try to continue my personal penances on Sunday, but if I slip, I don't worry about it.

My answer was that they don't count; however, the past couple of years my resolutions have had to do with praying more, and it just doesn't feel right to pray less on Sundays (especially since they are things I try to continue after Lent). :idontknow:

goldenchild17

[quote name='MissScripture' date='Mar 15 2006, 01:46 PM']My friends and I were having a discussion about this. I was raised that you were allowed to do whatever you'd given up or not required to do what you had said you'd do on Sundays, because if you count up the days, the Sundays included, it's more than forty days. Some of my friends, however, can't believe that I don't count Sundays. What do you folks think?
[right][snapback]912654[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

No Sundays don't count. Sunday is a feast day, a holy day, a day to be celebrating, not suffering. I'll see if there's anything more authoritative on the issue though.

It's all up to the faster, IMO.

You can argue it either way. You can say that it would heighten the understanding of sundays as mini-Easters or that you appreciate Easter proper even more if you go uninterrupted up to Easter.

I wind up saying that it depends on the nature of the fast. If you're giving up something addictive, say caffiene, and you began Lent addicted to it, it's probably better to go uninterrupted. However, if it is something more a disciplinary thing, eg sweets, then I'd probably say to celebrate Easter.

[quote name='PVmelonhead91' date='Mar 15 2006, 03:50 PM']i do count sundays but i dont have a problem if u dont .... i think its wimping out..but thats just me.  :cool:
[right][snapback]912657[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
agreed

It isn't a matter of it being "up to" anyone. The Church teaches that Sundays are not a day of sacrafice during Lent because it is the day of Mass, which is a celebration day.

That is what our Archbishop taught at a lenten retreat I went on.

PVmelonhead91

i understand that it doesnt count as lent but then you find yourself saying im gonna give blank up but i can have it every sunday. and i dont think u can give something up knowing that your gonna have a break in 6 days.thats like saying to god im gonna not do this for lent except ontheese days

Fidei Defensor

I have given up pop/soda/coke (ha) for the past couple of lents, because i get seriously addicted to it, and I generally dont drink it on Sundays because then I become addicted again.

cmotherofpirl

Sundays are never days of penance, but it is a bigger sacrifice to stay the course. It is a personal choice, not a law.