An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do Sundays Count

MissScripture

Do you count the Sundays in Lent as days that you must continue your promise (i.e. if you gave up pop, do you drink it on Sundays of Lent)?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GuyWithAFoil
:yes: its more gratifying if you continue "giving up" whatever on sundays as well. even though you dont have to.

Gratifying to whom? I didn't think that giving up something for lent was something we need to pat ourselves on the backs about.

(Wow, I am cranky tonight, hope that didn't sound rude)

Myles Domini

[quote name='prose' date='Mar 16 2006, 03:50 AM']Gratifying to whom?  I didn't think that giving up something for lent was something we need to pat ourselves on the backs about.

(Wow, I am cranky tonight, hope that didn't sound rude)
[right][snapback]913045[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Perhaps the form is a little off but I agree with the substance. Lenten penitence is christocentric not androcentric and accordingly there is no merit or demerit in fasting on Sundays for it is the day upon which Christ rose.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Mar 15 2006, 08:42 PM']Sundays are never days of penance, but it is a bigger sacrifice to stay the course. It is a personal choice, not a law.
[right][snapback]912947[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Actually, Sundays in Lent are days of penance.

Check [url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P4O.HTM"]Canon Law[/url]:
Can. 1250 The penitential days and times in the universal Church are every Friday of the whole year [i]and the season of Lent.[/i]
The [url="http://www.catholicliturgy.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/documentText/Index/2/SubIndex/38/ContentIndex/101/Start/97"]norms for the liturgical cycle[/url] state that "Lent runs from Ash Wednesday until the Mass of the Lord's Supper exclusive." That includes Sundays. Therefore, Sundays in Lent are pentential.

That said, it would certainly be logical to exclude Sundays from one's Lenten penance as a celebration of the Lord's day. But, as a matter of fact, Sundays are days of penance during Lent.

[color=blue] To put things simple; you rest on Sunday. :yes: you can have your "pop", but don't have a party, it's like an ordanary day. You don't have to. That's your choice. But the Church perferrze(sp) that you don't.

Get it? [/color]

Edited by Christie_M

salveregina

My friends and I were just discussing this. And all of us had read in different sources that the Church encourages that we do not fast in the way that we do during the week.
Sunday's Morning Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours for Lent reads:
"Today is holy to the Lord your God. Do not be sad, and do not weep; for today is holy to our Lord. Do not be saddened this day, for rejoicing in the Lord must be your strength." (see Nehemiah 8:9-10)
That seems to settle it for me.

And I think it's kind of offensive to be considered a "wimp". :annoyed:

• 11 months later...

well I don't have any conclusive answers, but I think if I broke my fast on Sundays I would not be able to start it up again on Mondays. I would cave. Better for me to just give it up entirely ...

xTrishaxLynnx

If it's something you shouldn't be doing anyways (i.e. swearing) or something which, if you were to break the fast, you would have to start all over again (i.e. smoking) it wouldn't make any sense for you to break the fast.

I gave up movies. I don't think that watching a movie today is going to make it any harder to not watch them Mon-Sat (or any easier, for that matter.) Now, if I were to go rent like 10 movies (all the ones I would have watched during the week) THAT wouldn't make any sense, and wouldn't really be a sacrifice at all. But I don't think that watching a movie or two lessens the value of giving them up for the rest of the week, since one or two is how many I would watch on a normal day.

That's my [img]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/xTrishaxLynnx/smtwocents-1.gif[/img]

it definatly depends on the situation and what you are doing. for example, I am trying not to cuss/swear during Lent (which is hard, mind you).. obviously it wouldn't be right of me let out a long string of swear words just because its a Sunday :)

[size=1]I have always been told that because sundays are days of rest, you do not have to fast. Not even during lent.
[/size]

Phoenix Reborn

[quote name='CrossCuT' post='1204354' date='Feb 25 2007, 08:37 AM'][size=1]I have always been told that because sundays are days of rest, you do not have to fast. Not even during lent.
[/size][/quote]

Yeah we go by that.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='912706' date='Mar 15 2006, 04:57 PM']No Sundays don't count. Sunday is a feast day, a holy day, a day to be celebrating, not suffering. I'll see if there's anything more authoritative on the issue though.[/quote]

I realized this after reading Nehemiah 8:9-10 in my breviary today.