Ash Wednesday Posted March 16, 2006 Posted March 16, 2006 Yeah... Planes Trains and Automobiles is HILARIOUS..... I like the part where they are driving in that torched out car.....or when Kevin Bacon's character says "Train don't go outta Wichita..unless you're a hog".....
jmjtina Posted March 16, 2006 Posted March 16, 2006 honestly, I almost threw up on the 50 passenger plane and did fine on the bigger plane of 10 hours (to Lisbon, Portugal) I wasn't scared, just hoping my stomach would cooperate with me.
dUSt Posted March 16, 2006 Posted March 16, 2006 The 50 psgr regional jets are great. Just as fast as the big jets, quiet, never a middle seat, and easy in and out without the long lines down the aisle. They do go up and down more than the big jets but they're not that bad at all. They avoid turbulence better because of this. I usually fly about 2-3 times a month, usually twice in the same day back and forth between Dallas and Atlanta. Try to fit everything into a carry-on bag (the smaller sized rollerboard cases are best). With the 50 psgr jets you'll probably check them in at the plane so no need to worry about fitting them in an overhead compartment. Put the bare essentials in a purse, including a book. Take as little onto the plane as possible. If you're going to get on a bigger jet at any point and are checking in luggage, make sure you at least have one change of clothes and your essentials in a carry-on bag just in case your luggage is delayed or lost. Also, bring some earplugs if you want to sleep. I wear earplugs even when I don't sleep because it's just more pleasant. Don't worry about bringing a pillow unless you have one of those cool mushy neck pillows--just ask for an extra blanket and just fold it up. The less you bring on the easier it'll be to get on and off. Don't freak out when they start going over all the emergeny procedures because it's pretty doom and gloom, but an FAA requirement. A good pilot will avoid turbulence, but it's no big deal if you hit some. The "rough" ride is caused by pockets of hot air and cold air in the atmosphere--kinda like potholes in the sky. Have fun. Nice knowin ya.
djc08 Posted March 16, 2006 Posted March 16, 2006 Chew gum. It helps a lot to stop your ears from pumping so hard. And a a bit of advice. Don't fall asleep wih 10 other kids layed out about 4 chairs each in an airport at 4:00 in the morning and wake up a few hours later to get on another plane because your gonna really make all the people who didn't get chairs mad.
Socrates Posted March 17, 2006 Posted March 17, 2006 Make fists with your toes. (from [i]Die Hard[/i])
HisChild Posted March 17, 2006 Posted March 17, 2006 Dust, I'm sure the 'nice knowing ya' helped out a LOT Uh, everyone covered it really well. Except, if you are a serious caffeine drinker, and have a micro bladder (like me) you might want to hold back a wee bit before the plane ride, otherwise you'll be up and down to the 'loo as much as the plane in the 'pot holes in the sky' : You will do fine. Planes are safer than ground transport. God bless you.
dUSt Posted March 17, 2006 Posted March 17, 2006 Oh, and another thing. Don't worry about any possible delays do to "mechanical failure". [b]Every[/b] plane has [b]something[/b] wrong with it. I've talked to enough airplane mechanics to know that, and it's something you just have to accept. Just hope that the pilot doesn't tell you about the mechanical failure until you're up in the air, which has happened to me several times. hahaha But yeah. Planes are safe. And those 50 passenger jets could almost glide to the ground without any engines at all, so no worries.
journeyman Posted March 17, 2006 Posted March 17, 2006 It's been over a year since I last flew - the best advice I can think of other than what has already been given . . . get there early (on time used to mean more than 1 hour before your flight is scheduled to leave) . . . don't carry a pocket knife, bic lighter, or anything else on the confiscation list . . . swap out your metal jewelry, rosary, medals for something non-metallic
dUSt Posted March 17, 2006 Posted March 17, 2006 Good point about the metal objects. If you have any, put them all in your purse before you get in the security line so you don't have to be all unorganized while people behind you are waiting to go through the metal detector.
Azriel Posted March 17, 2006 Author Posted March 17, 2006 Thanks a bunch for all the additional replies....I'll check back in with more specific thanks later .... but, yeah, the nice knowin you part helped out a lot dUSty - Thanks! Since I own Planes, Trains and Automobiles, I think I deserve to watch that before Monday... I just keep telling myself that when I finally make it to Washington, I get to stay at a Hilton for free. .... With no 2 year old! Potty time to myself!!!
alicemary Posted March 17, 2006 Posted March 17, 2006 I absolutely love to fly. Philly is easy to get around in for your connecting flight, fly out of there all the time. May help to look in the in flight magazine and scope out where you gate will be for the next flight.. Usually it is the farthest gate away. And if you are going from smaller plane to jet you may have to switch terminals, but you have a 2 hour layover so should be ok. And don't be afraid to ask for help, that is why they are there. Don't wear fancy shoes either, something easy to take off if security wants. And you know you can't lock your luggage. Most of all have fun with it. If you would miss a flight, you are not really in a time crunch...just go with the flow! Alicemary Don't forget to print your boarding pass(well that is, if you booked on line!)
franciscanheart Posted March 17, 2006 Posted March 17, 2006 [quote name='Raphael' date='Mar 16 2006, 03:00 PM']At least it's not international. : Carry ID...pack as if you were going on any other trip...if you want to sleep, I suggest taking a small pillow and some dramamine (is that how it's spelled?)...don't panic. It's nothing to worry about. There will be noises on the plane...they're normal. Your ears will pop. That's normal. It's really nothing to worry about...Satan just likes to make us worry, especially over silly things. I don't mean to imply ANYTHING by this, but go to Confession first. It will calm you down, knowing that you've made peace with God, should anything happen. Don't worry. My grandma was afraid of heights...used to spend the whole plane ride praying the rosary. [right][snapback]913353[/snapback][/right] [/quote] nice advice. and your ears shouldnt pop. chew gum. youll forget about it if you do it but if you forget it could be uncomfortable. [quote name='Sojourner' date='Mar 16 2006, 03:39 PM']I love flying ... my first flight was when I was just out of college; I flew to a friend's graduation in Texas. From the first takeoff, I was hooked. I like flying in small planes best -- I have a couple of friends who are pilots who have been kind enough to take me up -- but then, I'm an adrenaline junkie. As Era said, there are occasional jolts, but not to worry. Airports aren't that hard to navigate, for the most part. Just allow yourself plenty of time to get through security and get the lay of the land so you're not rushed to get to your plane. Try to be efficient in your packing ... the less you have to juggle, the happier you'll be. [right][snapback]913404[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Same here. I love flying. I flew for the first time (that I can remember) when I was 13 and I've been hooked ever since. The smaller the plane the better! [quote name='dUSt' date='Mar 16 2006, 05:19 PM']The 50 psgr regional jets are great. Just as fast as the big jets, quiet, never a middle seat, and easy in and out without the long lines down the aisle. They do go up and down more than the big jets but they're not that bad at all. They avoid turbulence better because of this. I usually fly about 2-3 times a month, usually twice in the same day back and forth between Dallas and Atlanta. Try to fit everything into a carry-on bag (the smaller sized rollerboard cases are best). With the 50 psgr jets you'll probably check them in at the plane so no need to worry about fitting them in an overhead compartment. Put the bare essentials in a purse, including a book. Take as little onto the plane as possible. If you're going to get on a bigger jet at any point and are checking in luggage, make sure you at least have one change of clothes and your essentials in a carry-on bag just in case your luggage is delayed or lost. Also, bring some earplugs if you want to sleep. I wear earplugs even when I don't sleep because it's just more pleasant. Don't worry about bringing a pillow unless you have one of those cool mushy neck pillows--just ask for an extra blanket and just fold it up. The less you bring on the easier it'll be to get on and off. Don't freak out when they start going over all the emergeny procedures because it's pretty doom and gloom, but an FAA requirement. A good pilot will avoid turbulence, but it's no big deal if you hit some. The "rough" ride is caused by pockets of hot air and cold air in the atmosphere--kinda like potholes in the sky. Have fun. Nice knowin ya. [right][snapback]913471[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Wonderful advice. I would say though that if you want to sleep you should buy a stuffed animal from the gift shop before you board and use it as a pillow on your pull down tray. I flew from Buffalo to Atlanta like that and felt refreshed when I had to get off.
MissScripture Posted March 17, 2006 Posted March 17, 2006 I flew for my first (and only) time last year, and while I was traveling with a group, I was sitting next to some guy I didn't know (but I got the window seat, that was SWEET!). My advice is to just relax, because you really have no control over what is going to happen. Maybe say a few prayers, and just leave it in God's hands, because there is nothing you can do. I rather enjoyed myself, and that was an 8 hour flight to London. It's really kind of fun.
Azriel Posted March 19, 2006 Author Posted March 19, 2006 Thanks again everyone - its getting closer, and I'm getting more freaked out. But, I'm trying to stay fairly calm ... anyone else got any tips ??? Or prayers would suffice
dUSt Posted March 19, 2006 Posted March 19, 2006 Get a window seat and look out the window. If you've never been on TOP of clouds before you should have a good view for your first time. Plus, it's easier to sleep in a window seat because you lean on something.
HisChild Posted March 19, 2006 Posted March 19, 2006 [quote name='Azriel' date='Mar 18 2006, 06:17 PM']Thanks again everyone - its getting closer, and I'm getting more freaked out. But, I'm trying to stay fairly calm ... anyone else got any tips ??? Or prayers would suffice [right][snapback]914773[/snapback][/right] [/quote] How about a glass of red wine before you fly?
Fixxxer Posted March 19, 2006 Posted March 19, 2006 only thing you should worry about it trying to get out of the small seats
franciscanheart Posted March 19, 2006 Posted March 19, 2006 dont bother bringing a book... they dont make good pillows and you probably wont be reading it anyway. ill be praying.
Azriel Posted March 20, 2006 Author Posted March 20, 2006 Well ... I'm here. I made it ... passed with flying colors. Except for losing my driver's license ... hope I can make it home.
franciscanheart Posted March 20, 2006 Posted March 20, 2006 [quote name='Azriel' date='Mar 20 2006, 12:19 PM']Well ... I'm here. I made it ... passed with flying colors. Except for losing my driver's license ... hope I can make it home. [right][snapback]915663[/snapback][/right] [/quote] that's not good. glad you made it there safely.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now