StColette Posted March 27, 2006 Posted March 27, 2006 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Mar 27 2006, 10:00 AM']He said it first. I said that Chick's assassins are on the way. . . [right][snapback]923634[/snapback][/right] [/quote] *giggles*
Era Might Posted March 27, 2006 Posted March 27, 2006 You gotta clutch your purse on the mean cornfields of Steubenville.
Jabberwocky Posted March 27, 2006 Posted March 27, 2006 Are there many good Catholic colleges that have good fine arts programs? Next weekend I'm going to look at Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I don't know how orthodox it is, nor do I know how to tell, exactly, so I will just have to check it out.
Socrates Posted March 28, 2006 Posted March 28, 2006 [url="http://www.christendom.edu"]Christendom College[/url] is as solidly Catholic and orthodox as they come. All professors take a yearly Oath of Fidelity professing loyalty to the Magisterium. A strongly Catholic culture and identity is incorporated into all areas of student life.
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted March 28, 2006 Posted March 28, 2006 The problem with most of the orthodox ones is that they are usually small and don't offer a wide array of academic programs. They are mostly 2000 (or less) student bodies with a bachelor of arts degree. That's fine if it's what you're looking for, but I don't know of any solidly orthodox places like Christendom, etc. with engineering schools or stuff like that. I plan on going to one of the bigger Catholic schools and getting involved in the Catholic groups on campus. I'm sure orthodox people can be found amongst their ranks.
jiyoung Posted March 28, 2006 Posted March 28, 2006 Yeah, you'll find small movements of orthodox people at a lot of schools. People say FUS is too charismatic, but look at all of the orthodox PMers here who go to FUS. I know at ND there's a group of conservative Catholics, some of whom run a blog called Shrine of the Holy Whapping...which is hilarious, by the way. I guess it's just knowing who to avoid, in a lot of cases.
EcceNovaFacioOmni Posted March 28, 2006 Posted March 28, 2006 Thanks for the tip on that blog. I'll have to start reading it.
cmotherofpirl Posted March 28, 2006 Posted March 28, 2006 [url="http://holywhapping.blogspot.com/"]http://holywhapping.blogspot.com/[/url]
missionseeker Posted March 28, 2006 Posted March 28, 2006 [quote name='thedude' date='Mar 27 2006, 08:24 PM']The problem with most of the orthodox ones is that they are usually small and don't offer a wide array of academic programs. They are mostly 2000 (or less) student bodies with a bachelor of arts degree. That's fine if it's what you're looking for, but I don't know of any solidly orthodox places like Christendom, etc. with engineering schools or stuff like that. I plan on going to one of the bigger Catholic schools and getting involved in the Catholic groups on campus. I'm sure orthodox people can be found amongst their ranks. [right][snapback]924309[/snapback][/right] [/quote] There building one in Texas. It should open next year I think John Paul The Great University I thinks it's Tx I could be wrong
Luthien Posted March 30, 2006 Posted March 30, 2006 I'm looking into St Thomas More in Merrimack New Hampshire. Does anyone know anything about that school?
Ora et Labora Posted March 30, 2006 Posted March 30, 2006 I bet the people who went to Magdeline had horrible experiances there because its strict. I highly doupt any other reason. I have a friend whose going there right now, and she says its very Orthodox.
Socrates Posted March 31, 2006 Posted March 31, 2006 [quote name='Theoketos' date='Mar 25 2006, 03:52 PM']UD is however stuggling financially, mostly because of the effects of contraception as the enrollment is down 1/3 more then it should since 1978. [/quote] Not to defend contraception in anyway, but I don't think you can point the blame for UD's financial or enrollment problems mostly on contraception. Christendom College began in 1977 with a tiny student body, and used to struggle to find enough students. However, since the nineties, it has been gorwing tremendously, and now there is a long waiting list every year. (The college is still quite small though). The number of college-aged students in this country now is significantly higher than it was in the '80s (and the increase should be proportionately greater among orthodox Catholic families).
Petrus Posted March 31, 2006 Posted March 31, 2006 [quote name='missionseeker' date='Mar 27 2006, 07:01 PM']There building one in Texas. It should open next year I think John Paul The Great University I thinks it's Tx I could be wrong [right][snapback]924474[/snapback][/right] [/quote] It's actually going to be in San Diego. [url="http://jpcatholic.com/"]http://jpcatholic.com/[/url] My family knows the founders; I am very excited about this university, even though I am not going there. Their admissions director, Andi Marchi, is a very good friend of mine. I can tell you that this is definitely going to be an orthodox college, and I hope that it is just the first of more to come of Catholic colleges that focus on business and technology.
DAF Posted July 5, 2006 Posted July 5, 2006 missionseeker, you're going to SCC!? That's one of the places I was looking at. I was very impressed with it, especially considering it's super new. I'll definitely look at it more if the seminary doens't work out this time around. Are you attending now?
XIX Posted July 5, 2006 Posted July 5, 2006 I'm told from one of my passionately Catholic friends that DeSales University in Pennsylvania is very orthodox and faithful to Benedict XVI.
missionseeker Posted July 5, 2006 Posted July 5, 2006 Yes. I was going to go there but I never applied. Whatever. It is faithful and Orthodox.
Guest freemanbac Posted July 29, 2006 Posted July 29, 2006 I have noticed that there have been a few post on this thread about Belmont Abbey College. Being a student there, I suppose I could tell you what you want to know. It is a college of about 1000 students outside Charlotte, North Carolina. It was started by a Bendictine monestary which is on campus and is home to about 40 monks. The President of two years at the college is a very devout Catholic. He was even invited to the Vatican back in November to attend the conferances of "Church and Sport" as he was an Olympic trainee back in his past. before coming to the college he was a CEO of the York Barbell company, so he is also very keen on the business side as well. He hope is to make "The Abbey" a nationally known college for what it can offer to any student as well as keeping it in line with the Catholic Church. The teachers in the Theology department wiling accept the mandatum and Oath of Fidelity. Quite of few monks teach in the department which also includes the Abbot. There are a few teachers within the faculty that may enforce their views on you, but it is no where close to the point where it will affect your grade. There is a teacher or two that seems to be a bit disgusted with some of the Presidents decisions with the college. This includes his business ideas, but also how he regulates the campus. There were three particular incidents that I know of last year, in which the President may have gotten some slack for, but he was in the right so it did not bother him. The First incident was that some student organization scedule some movies to be shown in the quad. Some of the movies did not get great approval from the Bishops review, so the President cancelled those movies from showing. Another incident was that each RA can have a movie night to foster community within the dorms. One RA selected a movie that promoted the homosexual agenda, so the President put a stop to that. The last incident was reguarding Facebook as many people began to post up pictures that should not have been seen, like underage drinking. The President in this case called a forum to provide his objections to the students and told us to relize what type of image we are promoting the school by, and that if he needs to he has the power to take the Abbey off the facebook, but he hopes it does not come to that. So overall the Abbey has at least a good foundation. Some other important things you should know is that the Catholic to non-Catholic ratio is about 1 to 1. Being in the south, there is not as many Catholics in the surrounding areas. Also the college is very generous in giving out scholarships for both sports and academics. However, I have ran into too many people who state that the only reason they are here is because it was the best deal they were offered. So if you expect the campus of students to be a good Catholic atmosphere, you may want to scratch the Abbey off your list. However, even though they may only be 10-20 kids at daily Mass, there is a good group of Catholics who are trying to live a good Catholic life. The college has a Hintemeyer program which is a program for faithful Catholic. They are a select few who usually recieve full-ride (although they may be discontinuing that part of the deal, but don't hold me to that) for exchange of being active in campus ministry events. Unfortunately, most of the rest of the student body has nicknamed they the "God Squad" but most are not bothered by it. Also, the Abbey provides a few households which are modeled after the ones at Franciscan University of Steubenville. There is only one for guys, but there is also a co-ed household as well. (How that happened, I don't know) So I guess it comes down to if you want to grow in your Catholic faith you are given the oppportunity. If you do not, then you are given the opportunity as well. So the primary thing that will be a threat to your Catholic way of thinking will not be the teachers, but rather the students.
missionseeker Posted July 29, 2006 Posted July 29, 2006 I almost applied there. then i got the other.
aalpha1989 Posted July 29, 2006 Posted July 29, 2006 I visited Benedictine today....visiting FUS next wednesday...I'm excited...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now