An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vita Consecrata

puellapaschalis

What's the status of VC on your bookshelf?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vita Consecrata

[i]14. The evangelical basis of the consecrated life is Jesus’ special relationship with the disciples who, responding to His call, left everything behind and closely imitated His life. In the consecrated life, the baptismal consecration develops into a radical response to Christ through acceptance of the evangelical counsels. To discern the essential characteristics of this special vocation, one must fix one’s gaze on the radiant face of Christ in the mystery of the Transfiguration. This vision of Christ captures the contemplative and the “active” dimensions of consecrated life. The ascending to spiritual heights and the descending to work in the world is the core dynamic of the consecrated life.[/i]

salveregina

Ah! The Nashville OP you speak of is Sister Mary Emily, the vocation director, yes? She is wonderful.

I read Vita Consecrata a few years ago. I should probably re-read it. It's all highlighted and noted and whatnot, so it makes for a fun read. What I do know is that it is beautiful, and if I had a memory (at all!) I would memorize lines in there like it was my job. That an Evangelium Vitae. I would memorize both of them in their entirety to quote at random :book:

[quote name='salveregina' date='Mar 29 2006, 07:31 PM']Ah! The Nashville OP you speak of is Sister Mary Emily, the vocation director, yes? She is wonderful.
[right][snapback]927664[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
She is lovely. I met Sr. Marie Dominic as well. I've spoken with Sr. Mary Emily on the phone (and Sr. Catherine Marie too before her), but never met in person.

Are you discerning with them?................ if it is God's will, I will be there to visit over their May retreat.

[quote name='shortnun' date='Mar 29 2006, 11:12 PM']She is lovely. I met Sr. Marie Dominic as well. I've spoken with Sr. Mary Emily on the phone (and Sr. Catherine Marie too before her), but never met in person.

Are you discerning with them?................ if it is God's will, I will be there to visit over their May retreat.
[right][snapback]928017[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Salveregina......... nevermind, I went back and looked at some other threads to see that you are discerning with the Nashville sisters..... prayers for you in your schooling and in your discernment!!!

puellapaschalis

This is going to sound really silly, but heck.

Last night I stayed up much too late reading VC, charged through the middle section (does anyone get the impression - no, no looking at study guides! - that it's in three bits? First, wicked theology; Second, details, schmetails; Third, not quite sure as I'm not there yet but I suspect that it's something like more wicked theology, promise of prayers, raining down of blessings from seven dozen saints [b]and[/b] Our Lady? Ok, digression over. For now) and felt...amazing. It was astonishing. I'm sure you may all think me crazy for going fluffy over a [i]Vatican document[/i] but then I am the girl who got excited when she received her visa application form for Canada....

I was so pumped I got out of bed and poured forth a whole load of overly faffy and emotional blurb on my blog. The poor people who read it! They're normally used to me talking about the weather, or rather dry subjects like how many angels you really could fit on the head of a pin, and how this might depend somewhat upon current atmospheric pressure.

Everyone! Read VC! It's hella cool! :cool: :book: :clapping: :nerd:

Ahem. We will now return you to your normal scheduled programming.

Love and prayers,

PP

Edited by puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

Finished!

Ho Boy! Now, I don't want to encourage anyone to skip to the end and spoil the ending, but the beginning of the conclusion - para 104 - is just glorious. :cool:

And now I can't change my vote either. Shucks. :ninja: ^_^

Love and prayers,

PP