An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Resurrexi

Do you believe in life on other planets/caelestial bodies?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

God could have created other planets and extraterrestrial life. The Bible was not meant to be a book on science it's meant to tell of salvation.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='avemaria40' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:51 AM']God could have created other planets and extraterrestrial life.  The Bible was not meant to be a book on science it's meant to tell of salvation.
[right][snapback]931563[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

EVERYTHING IN THE BIBLE IS INFALLIBILE

Pope Pius X, in Lamentabili Sani, condemned the notion: “Divine inspiration does not extend to all of Sacred Scriptures so that it renders its parts, each and every one, free from every error.”

Hello... it's inerrant, not infallible.

I believe there is some form of life out there, but I'm not in the mood at the moment to get into great detail about it. There was a thread about this subject, and it was rather fascinating. It was on the assumption if life existed on other planets, how would the plan of salvation fit in.

I don't like how some of the options are worded, it certainly is biased.

[quote]VERYTHING IN THE BIBLE IS INFALLIBILE

Pope Pius X, in Lamentabili Sani, condemned the notion: “Divine inspiration does not extend to all of Sacred Scriptures so that it renders its parts, each and every one, free from every error.”[/quote]...and just like Papal infallibility its limited to faith and morals.

As far as I know there's no official position of the Church in this matter. Persoanlly I don't know since I've not seen any :lol_roll:

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:55 AM']EVERYTHING IN THE BIBLE IS INFALLIBILE

Pope Pius X, in Lamentabili Sani, condemned the notion: “Divine inspiration does not extend to all of Sacred Scriptures so that it renders its parts, each and every one, free from every error.”
[right][snapback]931577[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Which also brings up a point about Galileo. Of course, Galileo also got himself in trouble for doctrinal issues, but strictly in terms of science, the Church was not infallible in it's belief of the earth being in the center of the universe.

Define Aliens. If you mean microbiotic life the answer is yes it is likely. If you mean aliens like E.T. then my answer is no, it is not likely. Also even if there were E.T.'s out there the chances of verifying this are extremelly low even with the most liberal interpretations of the Drake equation. Therefore, I checked c.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I met some aliens through some mutual friends, the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Apr 1 2006, 12:34 PM']Galileo was wrong anyway, so I dont know why you bring him up.
[right][snapback]931654[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

If you mean the way he handled the situation, and dived into the doctrinal realm, then I would agree with you.

But if you're also including the scientific discovery that he made, in which the sun does NOT revolve around the earth, then I will have disagree with you, Einstein.

[quote]But if you're also including the scientific discovery that he made, in which the sun does NOT revolve around the earth, then I will have disagree with you, Einstein.[/quote]

But the sun does revolve around the earth. Oh, and I do not appreciate Eienstein or anything he did, so I would not like to be called "Einstein".

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Apr 1 2006, 02:20 PM']But the sun does revolve around the earth. Oh, and I do not appreciate Eienstein or anything he did, so I would not like to be called "Einstein".
[right][snapback]931744[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have studied science, yes, the earth does revolve around the sun, not the other way around. That's how we get years. And Einstein is cool.