An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Resurrexi

Do you believe in life on other planets/caelestial bodies?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Amator Veritatis

Sam seems to have beaten me to the punch, as it were, in posting the reference before I could. As is clear from the statements of the Pontifical Biblical Commission, God created all things at the beginning of time. He did not create things over time via the Big Bang, Evolution, [i]et al[/i]. We must remember that St. Pius X stated that Catholics have a moral obligation to accept the findings of the Commission.

Amator Veritatis

As I stated above, if God created all things at the beginning of time, He could not have created things over time by the use of Evolution or the Big Bang. Might I suggest, perhaps, a more careful reading of the texts presented in order to engage more properly in an intellectually honest, academic discussion. It appears that you have been very busy on the boards recently, posting on any number of topics. I have noticed the rapidity of your posts and conjecture that, perhaps, you have not had time to read everything as carefully as you might like.

Edited by Amator Veritatis

[quote name='Amator Veritatis' date='Apr 1 2006, 01:53 PM']Sam seems to have beaten me to the punch, as it were, in posting the reference before I could. As is clear from the statements of the Pontifical Biblical Commission, God created all things at the beginning of time. He did not create things over time via the Big Bang, Evolution, [i]et al[/i]. We must remember that St. Pius X stated that Catholics have a moral obligation to accept the findings of the Commission.
[right][snapback]931804[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Don't forget to read [b]Peccator[/b]'s post.

I believe God created all things at the beginning of time, however, I don't believe this means that everything was completely assembled. It's the difference between an engineer creating parts for a blueprint, and then assembling them overtime.

Eve wasn't created at the very beginning of time, she came along later when Adam got lonely.

[quote name='Amator Veritatis' date='Apr 1 2006, 08:54 PM']As I stated above, if God created all things at the beginning of time, He could not have created things over time by the use of Evolution or the Big Bang. Might I suggest, perhaps, a more careful reading of the texts presented in order to engage more properly in an intellectually honest, academic discussion. It appears that you have been very busy on the boards recently, posting on any number of topics. I have noticed the rapidity of your posts and conjecture that, perhaps, you have not had time to read everything as carefully as you might like.
[right][snapback]931805[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]That is why I'll print the pieces and reply later when i have more time and more able to concentrate...22:00 here already.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='Amator Veritatis' date='Apr 1 2006, 01:54 PM']As I stated above, if God created all things at the beginning of time, He could not have created things over time by the use of Evolution or the Big Bang.[right][snapback]931805[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I do not believe in evolution either but I do not understand how the evolution of different species would constitute separate creations any more than when a mother gives birth to a child.

Desert Walker

1. It is not heresy to believe that other planets are inhabited by sentient beings

2. The Vatican has assigned a priest/scholar/astronomer to tackle the potential theological uncertainties which would arise from the discovery of such beings

3. The Bible does not exclude the possibility that "all Mankind" are confined to this planet alone

4. The Bible does not exclude the possibility that some of the other galaxies might actually be other "projects"

There is a story about this written by a nun. It's called [i]Beyond the End[/i]. I wish I could remember her name...

The setting is this:

a comet hits the Earth. Just before it reaches the planet several people -- some young people and a bishop -- are supernaturally transported to another galaxy and planet. The planet is inhabited by a race of non-industrial humans. Apparently they also underwent a primordial, moral test. The difference, however, is that these beings were tested like the angels: as a numerous group, rather than as one man and one woman. So the planet contains two distinct populations of people: the fallen ones and those who remained faithful to God's law. The purpose God has in bringing Earthlings to this world is to inform them of the gift of Christ through Mary given to the children of Adam and Eve.

I found the concept interesting.

Amator Veritatis

I have a few comments. Firstly, Peccator, my previous comment that "I have noticed the rapidity of your posts and conjecture that, perhaps, you have not had time to read everything as carefully as you might like." was directed toward Paladin D. I apologise for not making this clear.

Secondly, thedude, the conclusion was that God created all things at the beginning of time. This would certainly exclude the possibility of a Big Bang insofar as God would not have created any thing at the beginning of time except a mass of dust, but such a conclusion would also exclude Evolution insofar as God would not have created all things at the beginning of time if other species were created at a later date. This much is true simply from the meaning of the phrase "all things". God could not have created "all things" at the beginning of time if some of them have come to be after that point. The meaning certainly does not mean to indicate that "all things" would refer to all living beings, for obviously not all humans or animals or plants were created at the beginning of time, much less does it refer to all things that exist, for the same obvious conclusions could be drawn regarding material objects as well.

It would be reasonable to conclude that microevolution would not be denied by this statement, for by microevolution no new species or beings are created, but those already existing merely develop. In this manner of speaking, it would be logical to say that microevolution presents a situation no different than a mother giving birth to a child. On the other hand, if macroevolution were true, separate beings would have come to be created over time rather than immediately at the beginning of time. If the argument is that Evolution does not create new beings any more than a mother giving birth to a child, the distinction that Evolution would create new species must be recognised. With that being said, the analogy does not follow or is at least not equivalent. The very purpose of stating that "God created all things at the beginning of time" is to illustrate that new things, which would presumably include new species, could not be created over time. Otherwise, the phrase would be rendered meaningless or nearly meaningless, for any development which might constitute a new creation, e.g., water changing into a one-celled organism would not necessarily constitute a new creation, but clearly this is false, for water is a different thing than a living one-celled organism just as an ape is a different thing than a man.

Desert Walker

I wonder who put this on the Moon?

[img]http://www.mufor.org/moon/ukert.jpg[/img]

An ancient people from this planet, or some folks from somewhere else?

Desert Walker

Never mind...

Just found another photo from the Clementine Orbiter. It looks like a natural formation.

Desert Walker

But check this out:

[url="http://www.metaresearch.org/solar%20system/cydonia/proof_files/proof.asp"]Proof that the Face on Mars was constructed by a people[/url]

I'll believe in extraterrestrial life when I see it, when God tells me in heaven, or they kidnap me and turn me into a raving lunatic.

• 2 weeks later...

My thought, though very basic, has always kind of been, if the Bible was written by God through man, doesn't that mean there could have been things He left out? He didn't specifically mention the existence of cheetahs or giraffes or anything, but we know they exist. Maybe he just didn't tell us. Scientifically, it's highly unlikely that we're the only lifeforms. If you compare our galaxy to the continental United States, it would be the size of a quarter. That certainly is a waste of space if we're the only living beings in the entire universe.