An Old School Catholic Message Board

God or the Girl on A&E

LouisvilleFan

LouisvilleFan

Anybody planning on catching this show? It's a documentary/reality show mini-series about four guys discerning the call to either priesthood or marriage. It premieres on A&E Sunday at 9PM. I don't have cable, but if anybody does watch it, I'd like to hear about it. The web site is [url="http://www.godorthegirl.com"]godorthegirl.com[/url]

LouisvilleFan

Sorry about the triple post... thought was getting disconnected every time I tried to post.

I found this comment on one of the FSGM sisters' blogs:

[b][url="http://gods-stewards.blogspot.com/2006/04/i-saw-it.html"]She saw the preview for "God or the girl"[/url][/b]

EDIT: Two more links

[b][url="http://gods-stewards.blogspot.com/2006/04/more-on-god-or-girl.html"]Here[/url]
[/b]

and [b][url="http://gods-stewards.blogspot.com/2006/04/god-or-girl.html"]Here is her first comment about the show.[/url][/b]

Edited by shortnun

I got an email the other day that quoted the director of vocations for the diocese of Arlington, and he was singing it's praises.

It seems like they did it very tastefully (although the title leaves a bit to be desired!) from everything I have heard and read. I might tune in.

the guy named michael, came to the monastery here in philly.... so we are going to watch it just for that -- but we don't expect much in the way of quality portrayal of religious vocations

Fides_et_Ratio

I have a few classes with Dan (one of the guys in the documentary) and he said the title is not something that any faithful Catholic would agree with-- but they didn't have a say in the title, it was created by the producers at A&E to get people to watch the show.

hmm I'm very skeptical and have to say I'm afraid to watch it. Who knows what kind of scandal this series could hold. Dealing with discernment is something that hollywood should not try to, imitate and the name of it is very missleading if the show is serious. That's a horrible name. I hope they don't abuse the discernment for young men.

[quote name='uruviel' date='Apr 15 2006, 02:41 PM']hmm I'm very skeptical and have to say I'm afraid to watch it.  Who knows what kind of scandal this series could hold.  Dealing with discernment is something that hollywood should not try to, imitate and the name of it is very missleading if the show is serious.  That's a horrible name.  I hope they don't abuse the discernment for young men.
[right][snapback]948264[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Lots of comments--especially here on Phatmass--have been made about the inadequacies of the name. However, there are those who have seen previews and attest to the quality of the show. I'll be eager to see what else people say tomorrow night.

Fides_et_Ratio

Dan said it's not scandalous (and he's seen the whole thing... haha, he's in it).

But I trust his judgement. And I've seen the preview video that's posted on seekholiness.com and it doesn't look scandalous.

the only thing that will decide that is when you watch it. Somehow, I don't see a TV series respecting discernment for young men, I just can't see it. I can't see them displaying what discernment really is. I hope it's not scandolous but we shall see.

Perhaps the title is inadequate, but only they try to show that the priesthood is a way full of resignations and sacrifices and we know all when they speak about the girl want to say more things of the life those that they resign.

[quote]Father Brian Bashista, Vocation Director for Arlington, Virginia, said of the series, "I had the privilege of seeing all five shows several weeks ago. Immediately after the viewing I commented to the producers that, from my perspective as a Vocation Director, they did an incredible job of capturing the reality of vocation discernment with all of its twists and turns, ups and downs, highlights and lowlights."[/quote]

This is actually the whole email I received from my household sister's uncle who wrote this:
[quote]Greetings Family -

I was contacted two weeks ago and asked to assist in marketing a reality-TV series coming to A&E, premiering on Easter Sunday (in little over one week). It was presented to me as the real drama of four young men navigating through the decision of marriage or priestly life. Naturally suspicious of another presumptive attempt to unpack Catholicism by a major secular media provider, enhanced even more by the title “God or the Girl” -- I held out hope and asked them to forwarded the episodes.

Here I am after many hours of reviewing the series… speechless, overwhelmed, moved to humility, praise and frequently even tears for what God has done and is going to do with this series. You all know my appreciation for media, both secular and religious. You know that as a devout and passionate Catholic and former seminarian, as one who knows the beauty of married love, as one who has seen the best and worst of the “Catholic institution”-that my antennae is up pretty high for poor programming. Without question, just past the title is the most powerful television programming I have ever been privileged to experience. If there has never been a place in the lives of scrupulous, devout Christians for popular television programming, for “reality television,” this series opens the door.

This is what I write in the primer:

These young men are the real deal. They share an unmistakable love for God and their Catholic faith. They’re well balanced and share the general experience of their culture. One of them leaves behind a high-paying job and attends a tail-gate party to share with frat buddies his interest in priestly life. Instead of the awkward culture clash one might expect, we’re given witness of how the faithful can authentically engage culture. Another young man has a beautiful relationship with his girlfriend. They are an attractive couple who represent the dreams of young, middle America. Yet they profess chastity, and agree to put God first when it comes to vocation. The counter-cultural message is unmistakable: attraction to the opposite sex alone is not a determinant of one’s vocation. Another young man is clearly the attractive, All American kid whom everyone likes. He acknowledges past sexual immorality, but evidences a contagious joy of living for Jesus Christ in the present. Vocation is clearly for the now. We’re taken to his house, called “Fort Zion,” where he and housemates enthusiastically lead a youth group. In a particularly moving scene we see them kneeling together before an abortion clinic and praying the rosary. Hardly the “on the fringes” zealot one might expect, one connects with him as a modern day Paul. His witness validates the beauty of living for God.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Fr. Brian Bashista in the first episode-a mentor of one of the young men. Fr. Brian is a former fellow-seminarian (Mount St. Mary’s in Emmitsburg, Maryland), and now director of Vocations for Arlington. He was involved with my establishing Mount 2000 in 1995. I contacted him and he had nothing but great things to say about the production itself, and the experience. He was one of a handful permitted to view the final episode. He writes:

As a participant in the A&E TV mini-series ‘God or the Girl’ I had the privilege of seeing all five shows several weeks ago. Immediately after the viewing I commented to the producers that, from my perspective as a Vocation Director, they did an incredible job of capturing the reality of vocation discernment with all of its twists and turns, ups and downs, highlights and lowlights. Contrary to popular opinion, this series will no doubt reveal to its viewers what many in the Church have already known for years, namely, that numerous outgoing, affable, balanced, intelligent and attractive young men are seriously considering a call to serve Christ and His Church as a future Roman Catholic priest. Many of these men are, or are well on their way to become, ‘highly successful’ in the ‘eyes of the world’…but are willing to give up everything for a life which points to a reality ‘beyond this world’. Despite what their friends, family, classmates or co-workers might think, they are willing to seriously explore this ‘road less traveled’. Despite their mixed motives and normative questions, fears and doubts, they are to be admired for their courage and faithful witness to take note of Lord’s invitation to “Come follow Me”

Here’s what Harry Forbes, of the USCCB, has to say.

With a potential reach to over 88 million homes, this is going to impact individual lives and our culture. It’s going to be the kind of program that many young men and women are going to speak of years down the road-as the beginning of their conversion to Jesus Christ, for getting on the path to sacramental marriage or priesthood. I’m asking you to be an instrument of this effort by simply passing this along. Please help me in getting the Word out. This is absolutely a triumph for the authenticity of Jesus Christ alive and present in the Catholic Church, revealed in the most engaging way- the lives of “ordinary-yet-extraordinary” young men.

The showings as revealed are:

Easter Sunday, April 16, 9-11 p.m. - Episodes 1 and 2
Easter Monday, April 17, 9-11 p.m. - Episodes 3 and 4
UPDATE: Friday, April 21, 7-11 p.m. - Marathon, Episodes 1-4
Sunday, April 23, 10:00 p.m. -- FINALE
AMDG

+Peace,  Greg Schlueter ID Genesys/ID Video Productions
[/quote]