An Old School Catholic Message Board

God or the Girl on A&E

LouisvilleFan

LouisvilleFan

I agree about the title... it's more catchy than accurate because we've all chosen to dedicate our lives to God. But at the same time, Paul (I think in Corinthians) does say that in marriage we have to split our lives between God and our spouse where unmarried Christians can be wholely dedicated to God.

FOX News cracked me up last night... first of all, they had Lee Strobel (atheist convert to Christianity who wrote "The Case for Christ") on the show, which was funny because you'd think they would talk to a Catholic, and at the bottom of the screen it says "Show on A&E has guys choosing between God or girls." And they were showing some random clips of people praying in churches (mostly older women) and my cousin turns to me and says, "With the women their showing, I'd choose God!"

Well rats. the finale is on the day I enter! so I won't know who chose Christ and His priesthood! Rats! :(

daugher-of-Mary

Could someone please tape it, and pm me if you'd be willing to send me a copy? I'll pay shipping/handling of course. If it's any good, it could be very helpful with youth group stuff. ^_^

daugher-of-Mary

Could someone please tape it, and pm me if you'd be willing to send me a copy? I'll pay shipping/handling of course. If it's any good, it could be very helpful with youth group stuff. ^_^

The first episode was pretty good. I saw some fabulous things on this show, especially one of the men praying in front of the abortion clinic. He was pretty awesome. Mike? Well, I'm just wondering about him. I mean, he thinks he may be called to the priesthood. . .but I'm wondering how confusing that would be to also have a girlfriend, kissing her, etc. Wouldn't that be confusing? For him AND for her? Her not knowing where she stands in his life. And him. . .well, looking at both simultaneously. It must be a little difficult to hear His voice in all that. (And not for nothing. . .that church where Mike helped with the wedding, is really well, icky. The architecture. . .looks more like an auditorium.)

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 16 2006, 10:47 PM']The first episode was pretty good.  I saw some fabulous things on this show, especially one of the men praying in front of the abortion clinic. He was pretty awesome.  Mike?  Well, I'm just wondering about him. I mean, he thinks he may be called to the priesthood. . .but I'm wondering how confusing that would be to also have a girlfriend, kissing her, etc.  Wouldn't that be confusing? For him AND for her?  Her not knowing where she stands in his life.  And him. . .well, looking at both simultaneously.  It must be a little difficult to hear His voice in all that.  (And not for nothing. . .that church where Mike helped with the wedding,  is really well, icky.  The architecture. . .looks more like an auditorium.)
[right][snapback]950352[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I didn't see the whole thing, I turned it on at the end. I saw one of the men carrying the cross, and that was about it. No I do not think that is a good idea for him to date while discerning seriously. I think it will make it very difficult especially for a guy, and I don't think that's a good choice but that's his descision.

I watched it! it was pretty cool. Its an interesting, high quality show and I would recommend it to any.

Its easy to sit back and judge, but its important to realize the struggles they are going through. I think Joe (the one that went to Germany) is being pushed really hard by his mother, and it sounds like its not something he really wants on his own. But then again he did spend 4 years in the seminary.

I was really impressed by the kid from VA, who had a $75,000 job, 1/2 million house, had it all.. and gave it all up to be a missionary\discern. That was incredible.

I have to laugh at Dan a bit. This kid is really on fire for the Lord. Incredible faith! But when he decided to carry that 80 pound cross 20 miles! crazy!

I'm wondering where you think I'm judging. As a woman who has discerned just as they are doing. . .I again state exactly what I said before. I'm wondering how confusing that would be to do discernment for both at the same time. That's not a judgement, if you were talking about my post. That's just wondering. I tried to date at the first part of my own discernment and it was hard to 'hear' the voice of the Lord while I was looking at everything at the same time. I had two different SD. The first priest stated I shouldn't discern both vocations at once. He was sent to Rome to study after a year. The second SD was a priest who also said that unless someone 'obvious' shows up in my life as a possible 'date', I shouldn't actively date or look for a possible date/spouse, for lack of a better word. It just seems like a veritable tug of war, to do both at the same time. Again, not a judgement, but I can only imagine the confusion. . .for both parties involved.

Yea, I wondered why Fr Jeff challenged Dan to do that! I was wondering what made him think of that. If he hadn't been on TV, would he have made the same challenge?

Steve is amazing isn't he? Begging for money now, when he HAD that money before. He was like the 'rich man' who chose Christ, instead of going away sad. Although, in the end, we don't know what he'll choose.

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 17 2006, 02:11 PM']Yea, I wondered why Fr Jeff challenged Dan to do that!  I was wondering what made him think of that.  If he hadn't been on TV, would he have made the same challenge?
[right][snapback]950708[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
From my limited experience with the guys at Fort Zion. It's plausible.

Seriously. They are a bunch of crazy guys totally on fire for the Lord, and I could see them doing a crazy stunt like that... TV show or not.

That's funny, though. We need men on fire with the Lord, that's for sure! Praise be to the Risen Jesus! (btw, where is Fort Zion, and what is it?)

-i am the frjeff from the program.
-it was a challenge the local producers and i put together within the limits of Dan's schedule.
-what was not shown was the discussion that Dan and i had about how this is a quick sprint in the discernment process, that is we were turning up the heat quickly.
-i told Dan that carrying the Cross would not show him that he was to be a priest or to be married. carrying the Cross would be a sacrifice that would allow Dan to continue to grow in love for God. this growing in love would help him to trust in God's Grace. and that it is God's Grace that he needs to hear to determine if God needs him to be married or be a priest.
-the Vocations Office does not ask this of recruits. we expect recruits to shoulder the Cross God gives them, not one selected by Dan and frjeff.
-this show does not show the complete discernment process, but it does show a clip

That was such a wild idea, Father Jeff! I am sure that it (TV show) won't show this but what was Dan's most valuable insight gained from this exercise.

Also, since this wasn't answered before. . .what is Fort Zion?

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 17 2006, 04:48 PM']Also, since this wasn't answered before. . .what is Fort Zion?
[right][snapback]951061[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's the name of the house that Dan lives in with a bunch of other Catholic guys. Kinda like a fraternity.