An Old School Catholic Message Board

How large is your parish?

franciscanheart

How many families make up your parish?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

franciscanheart

I'm wondering if the majority of phatmassers come from larger or smaller parishes. I just found out my parish is about 4 times larger than I believe it was. I was shocked! So anyway... how large is your church?

[I know there are a lot of options! Sorry about that!]

franciscanheart

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Apr 18 2006, 04:10 PM']almost 1800 - largest in my diocese
[right][snapback]952787[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
red, how many churches are there in your diocese? that's another one i wanna know. i wont make a poll though. dont worry.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Apr 18 2006, 03:11 PM']red, how many churches are there in your diocese? that's another one i wanna know. i wont make a poll though. dont worry.[right][snapback]952788[/snapback][/right][/quote]well, there are 7 Catholic churches in my city (not counting the hospital chapel), and there are 120 Catholic churches in my diocese. not including hospital chapels, but including chapels of occasional worship.

TheOliverOrder88

About 1200 familes...

Rather large for our part of town....but other parts have parishes over 5,000 families.

I was wondering that myself. . . how many families were in our parish as we have 5 priests. I just learned we have 4655 families, spread out over two campuses. Actually we have the one church/school and then about 40 minutes away, where they are starting to do a lot of construction of new homes, the church leases space at a school gym to have Mass once a week for those that live down there (where there is currently only a small mission church, also operated by our parish). I didn't realize our church was so big! It doesn't seem that way when there are 9 weekend Masses, not including the misison, (where I think there's only one).

Charms717RM1

I have no idea actually. All i know is that there's max seating for about 600, but we're always packed. All the masses except the 7:45 am one are standing room only. On Easter we somehow crammed 850+ inside the sanctuary.

Right now we're trying to decide whether to add on to the existing santcuary or to build an entirely new one because we own this huge field right next door. Most people are still waiting for a cost analysis before forming a decision.

Me, I think we should build the bishop an old school Basilica. Or at the very least a Cathedral like my home parish in the avatar pic.

Edited by Charms717RM1

franciscanheart

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Apr 18 2006, 04:18 PM']well, there are 7 Catholic churches in my city (not counting the hospital chapel), and there are 120 Catholic churches in my diocese. not including hospital chapels, but including chapels of occasional worship.
[right][snapback]952795[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
whoa. :blink: 120? that's a lot!

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Apr 18 2006, 03:28 PM']whoa.  :blink: 120? that's a lot![right][snapback]952805[/snapback][/right][/quote]a lot of those churches are serviced by one priest. for example, close by our town, there are 3 towns that share 1 priest. and many churches are in small towns (probably no more than 100 families per parish).

and considering that my whole state has just under 1,000,000 people - so you figure maybe 500,000 people in my diocese, and of course [b]maybe[/b] half of those are Catholics. well, actually probably closer to a quarter of those people are Catholic (maybe)