An Old School Catholic Message Board

How large is your parish?

franciscanheart

How many families make up your parish?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

franciscanheart

i can't access our diocesan page right now but i want to say we have like 35 in our diocese. :idontknow:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Apr 18 2006, 03:34 PM']i can't access our diocesan page right now but i want to say we have like 35 in our diocese. :idontknow:
[right][snapback]952815[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is it because you don't have a lot of Catholics? Or too few priests? I mean. . TEXAS. You'd think you'd have a lot more.

franciscanheart

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 18 2006, 04:37 PM']Is it because you don't have a lot of Catholics?  Or too few priests?  I mean. . TEXAS.  You'd think you'd have a lot more.
[right][snapback]952824[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think we're set on priests considering we have one full time at our parish plus at least another 3 that come and say Masses so that our priest isn't so overworked. We have at least 13 Masses weekly... not including weddings.

oh and did I mention our parish is made up of 8,000+ families? :topsy:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Apr 18 2006, 03:34 PM']i can't access our diocesan page right now but i want to say we have like 35 in our diocese. :idontknow:[right][snapback]952815[/snapback][/right][/quote]but how much area does your diocese cover? ours covers 91,403 square miles

and edit to say, i just looked at our diocesan website and it says that there are 50 parishes, 66 missions, and 8 chapels of occasional worship.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Apr 18 2006, 04:43 PM']but how much area does your diocese cover? ours covers 91,403 square miles
[right][snapback]952830[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:blink: ours is not nearly that big. im thinking yours just may be about 100 times bigger than ours... literally. :blink:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Well, we have 3390 registered families for 2005, but the October 2005 count was only 2766. It is one of the largest parishes in our diocese though. There are also 5.2 baptisms (infant) to every funeral as well. Founded 1954 and the current church was built in 1982 and has a seating capacity of 750/800.

And incase you wanted to know more about the Rockford Diocese:

The diocese includes 11 counties: Boone, Carroll, DeKalb, JoDaviess, Kane, Lee, McHenry, Ogle, Stephenson, Whiteside and Winnebago. The diocese includes urban, suburban and rural areas, and in many respects serves as a microcosm of the Catholic Church in the United States.

According to the diocese’s annual general report to the Vatican for the year ending Nov. 2002:

* There are 418,891 Catholics in the diocese’s 11-county area.
* The diocese includes 105 parishes.
* It is served by a total of 166 priests incardinated in our diocese and another 13 priests from other dioceses who serve here.
* There are 48 religious priests, 112 permanent deacons, 250 religious women and 17 religious brothers serving in the diocese.
* Six men were ordained to the priesthood in 2002, and four diocesan priests died.
* There are 47 men studying for the Rockford diocesan priesthood at various seminaries.
* As regards administration of the sacraments, there were 6,700 baptisms, 6,195 First Communions, 4,178 confirmations and 1,312 marriages.
* There were 11,847 children enrolled in the diocese’s 41 grade schools, 4,106 enrolled in its eight high schools, and 28,039 enrolled in parish religious education programs.

The Rockford Diocese covers 6,457 square miles of northwestern Illinois. It was established on Sept. 23, 1908.

[quote]ours is not nearly that big. im thinking yours just may be about 100 times bigger than ours... literally. [/quote];) well, there ya go! :)

Our site doesn't state the miles covered. We have 89 parishes, 28 misisons, with 478,163 parishioners or 151,060 families. We currently have 24 seminarians and 137 diocesan priests and 100 religious priests (plus 72 extern priests :unsure:).

and for all those parishes, we have 62 priests, 2 recently ordained, 13 from religious orders, and 19 retired. and for religious, we have 78 religious sisters and 1 religious brother. 6 men are in seminary preparing for priesthood (all these facts are as of 2002).

franciscanheart

I'm hoping my diocesan page comes up soon. With 8,000+ families in our parish alone (and having seen the size of several surrounding parishes) I wonder how many we have in the diocese. I know the cathedral has a lot of parishoners too.

[quote name='Charms717RM1' date='Apr 18 2006, 03:25 PM']
Me, I think we should build the bishop an old school Basilica.  Or at the very least a Cathedral like my home parish in the avatar pic.
[right][snapback]952802[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My favorite Basilica. . . .

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Notre-Dame_de_Montreal_Basilica_Jan_2006_edit.jpg"]Basilica[/url]

Edited by PCPA2Be