Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Clear Up A Misconception


Recommended Posts

Circle_Master
Posted

all you anti-Catholic protestants

I've seen this on almost everyone's lips here since I've joined the board and I thought it might be good to clear it up.

We protestants, and I can speak with confidence for 99.99% of them, don't care today at all about the Catholic Church. I never bother thinking about it, or debating about it with anyone except at this board. So when you say "all you anti-Catholic protestant man-believers", you really are just making something up you assume to be true, and I kindof find it offense actually. It is a stereotype, and one that shouldn't exist as not even a majority is like that. Sure we would disagree with the Church, but it isn't an issue to us, and not something we talk about behind your back "oo how can we get that next Catholic" or something similar.

cmotherofpirl
Posted (edited)

We must keep running into the 1% who give all of you a bad name. :)

We know most mainline protestants are not anti-catholic, but it depends on the demonination. Some churches preach anti-catholic rhetoric at every opportunity.

Phatmass is a tame polite and nice group, thanks to Dust and all our wonderful members, but I can introduce you to any number of sites that are virulently populated by anti-catholics, whose language and manner would curl your hair.

Edited by cmotherofpirl
Circle_Master
Posted (edited)

i hope that was a joke response (edt: the first response by foundsheep)

Edited by Circle_Master
cmotherofpirl
Posted

i hope that was a joke response

if you mean mine, nope.

Circle_Master
Posted

nah, i meant foundsheep.

Posted

you know it. I was using earlier debates. :lol:

Posted

We protestants, and I can speak with confidence for 99.99% of them, don't care today at all about the Catholic Church. I never bother thinking about it, or debating about it with anyone except at this board.

If you don't care then why are you here? God knows I don't hang out on protestant boards.

Circle_Master
Posted

haha, well, I was invited to discuss Catholicism. If you had a heart for the world to join the one church you might be doing a little 'hanging out' at protestant boards to attempt to spread the truth. I would like to learn more, and outside of the board people said that would happen.

Posted

If you don't care then why are you here? God knows I don't hang out on protestant boards.

Everyone is welcome here, regardless of why.

Now, before this one gets out of hand ...

It is difficult to be a fish out of water. And, we do tend to talk about anti-catholicism a lot.

But, we must remember that simply being protestant doesn't mean a person is anti-Catholic.

On the other side, Catholics do experience a lot of negativity in regards to our faith, so please excuse us if we get defensive sometimes.

Now go play nice.

Az the Velvet Hammer has spoken.

And I'm sitting at a gestational 38 weeks, and you don't wanna tick off Mamma.

Circle_Master
Posted

thanks Azriel. I'll try to curb some of my reactions as well

Posted

99.99% seems kinda high.

I know of many Protestant churches around me who focus the mojority of their time specifically trying to disprove Catholicism. If it's not an issue to them, why not just focus on the Bible rather than trying to pick apart Catholic doctrine?

Circle_Master
Posted (edited)

well, perhaps it is a little high, but in the circles I am involved in, it is about that. Perhaps different areas of the country have different issues.

Edited by Circle_Master
cmotherofpirl
Posted

Perhaps you have good taste in churches. :)

Posted

But, we must remember that simply being protestant doesn't mean a person is anti-Catholic.

I agree. I have Fundamentalist friends who are not anti-Catholic at all. They are intelligent people who are genuinely against hate and have done their research on the Church. However, in my experience, this is the exception and not the norm. I would say a good 80% of Fundamentalists I have met (there have been MANY) and talked to on a regular basis ended up being very anti-Catholic, and evidently liked me enough to make a special exception to their rule against associating with Catholics. These people have been neighbors, parents of friends my age, friends my age, coworkers, and most of my husband's side of the family.

And I'm sitting at a gestational 38 weeks, and you don't wanna tick off Mamma.

Heheh.. Certainly don't! I just had a baby Oct. 26. You must be going any day now! Mine was a week and a half overdue.. Arrrgh! Congratulations to you!! :)

Posted

To give my most honest percentage assumption, through my experience. It would have to be 70%-80% of Protestants I've talked and/or seen, had different degrees of Anti-Catholicism. Some on the extreme scale such as Jack Chick, and those on the tiny scale.

Posted

Hi, Circle.. I'm glad you hang around with people who love instead of hate. It's frustrating to always have people ragging on the Church. Maybe if you ever meet someone who hates Catholicism, you could correct them. :)

Posted

Or just give them a Jack Chick tract to make them even more hungry.

:drool:

hyperdulia again
Posted

Circle's a good guy. Our brothher in Christ and if anybody picks on him to much in the debate table I'll bite 'em and give 'em rabies.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

I've had my shots. :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...